It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
(female)

slsmith1122 HB User
Barrett's Esophagus

Has anyone out there ever been diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus?

Old 05-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

jpeder04 HB User
Re: Barrett's Esophagus

No - but I've been wondering how badly damaged mine is????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
(female)

slsmith1122 HB User

i had an egd 1 week ago. i received a letter in the mail. ? .
it stated i had "barrett's esophagus" . when i researched this, it is bad cells that turn into cancer. only cure is removal of esophagus.......i am only 39!
just needed to hear some postive stories.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

nova-pyrgold HB User

I am sorry to hear that you have been given this diagnosis but I think you should think positively because I read this:

>>Barrett's esophagus is a condition of the esophagus (swallowing tube) in which the normal white lining of the esophagus has been replaced by an abnormal red lining called specialized intestinal metaplasia. It occurs in about 10% of people who have chronic or longstanding gastroesophageal reflux disease (heartburn). Barrett's esophagus is a precancerous lining in which a type of esophageal cancer called adenocarcinoma can develop but the risk of cancer is low in most patients. At the present time, no one can predict which patients with Barrett's esophagus will develop cancer. It is, therefore, recommended that all patients who have Barrett's esophagus have their esophagus periodically checked to detect cancer when it is early and curable.<<

It isn't a given that you will develop cancer, I am sure your doctors will be doing all they can to make sure that from now on the acid is kept away from your esophagus and if it means pills and more pills then that is the way to go. I have been taking prescription meds for acid reflux for a long time and have decided to try other methods and see if I can make the changes with my diet etc. At what stage did they decide to do the endiscope and take a look, what sort of symptoms were you having...I think it would be helpful for others to know?

Old 05-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
(male)

miknan HB User

Slsmith,

I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus in March and my doctor barely talked about it, instead focusing on my gallbladder issues. After researching it myself to say I was stressed from what I read would be a huge understatement. I fell into a deep depression for awhile but since I have learned a lot more info and I feel much better about it. It is not a death sentence like many sites make it sound. More of a wake up call. A lot depends on if you have dysplasia or not. Then it matters if you have low or high grade dysplasia. Many sites will say you have a 1% cumulative per year of developing esophageal cancer but most studies are showing it is more like 0.5%. I have read that women have a better chance of getting breast cancer. Still, I know how depressing it is to KNOW something like this is wrong with you. There is much more good news that I have read about. The current method of treatment is surveillence, more EGD's, anywhere from 1-3 years if no dysplasia, I think every few months if you do have dysplasia. A new treatment called BARRX which is an ablation of the BE cells of the espohageas is very promising. They will go in with a scope and burn away the BE cells. I have read two studies that showed 97% and 98% of people with BE will be CURED when the BE cells are replaced by normal esophagus tissue! I would post the links of all this info but I did this once before and the moderator removed them. Do an internet search for John Hopkins Barrett's esophagus and you will find a forum dedicated to BE with very knowledgeble people. Search for info describing the Barrx procedure itself. Why doesn't everyone with BE have the ablation? I'm not sure. I do not have dyspasia but after my next scope I am going to get on my doctor for some answers. I know I rambled quite a bit, hope some of this helps.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
(female)

slsmith1122 HB User

thanks 4 the input. i will research the john hopkins site.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
(female)

IamNancy HB User

I was diagnosed with it about 8 months ago and told that I don't have to have another scope test for 3 yrs and that I have to stay on the medication forever.. I was on Nexium at that time but now am on Zegerid.. as it works better for me with GERD. They did say the changes of it turning into cancer are slim..

Old 05-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
(male)

miknan HB User

IamNancy,

Have you heard of Barrx before or did your doctor tell you anything besides the date of your next scope? I am not exagerating when I say my doctor spent 30 seconds discussing my Barrett's. I didn't even understand what it was. I have/had gallbladder issues also so that is all he talked about. Because of his nonchalance about the BE I didn't think it was a very big deal until I read more about it. The reason I ask about the Barrx is that it was designed for people without dysplasia and I am wondering why everyone of us doesn't take the proactive step in removing these Barrett cells. It seems to have a such a huge success rating so far. Despite our slim chances of getting cancer, have you been stressed by your diagnosis? For me, the Barretts has been more of a disease of my mind rather than my throat.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
(female)

mskubic HB User

I had an endo done in October and all was clear. I was diagnosed last June with HPV. HpV is a sexually transmitted disease and that the majority of cervical cancer is a result of HPV. The doc said I need to go every year for my pap to make sure it does not lead to cancer. If this is any help to you if these things are caught early they can be treated that is why there is the need for monitoring.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
(male)

miknan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskubic View Post
I had an endo done in October and all was clear. I was diagnosed last June with HPV. HpV is a sexually transmitted disease and that the majority of cervical cancer is a result of HPV. The doc said I need to go every year for my pap to make sure it does not lead to cancer. If this is any help to you if these things are caught early they can be treated that is why there is the need for monitoring.

I don't know anything about HPV but if there was a procedure that would rid you of it wouldn't you want that done as opposed to just monitoring it?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
(female)

mskubic HB User

Yes of course I would want to get rid of it. I actually did research on it and HPV can also cause esophageal cancer. So prior to my endo I was very concerned I was sure I was a goner. On one thread on this board a woman developed tonsil cancer as a result of HPV.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
(male)

miknan HB User

Mskubic,

I hope you get the best of care and are well. My problem is that many (almost every person I have heard of) people that are diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus are pretty much blown off by their doctors. Mine did it to me and I think he is a very good doctor that I trust. The original poster found out by friggin mail! There is a procedure out there will get rid of these abnormal cells with something like 97% success and yet none of our doctors even mention it. Is is an insurance issue? Do our doctors know so little about BE they don't talk much about it? I read the transcripts from a conference on BE and they mentioned that since it would probably save only 1 person in 400 of getting cancer that as of now, it isn't a very cost effective method of treatment (unless you are that one person). So it looks like we have to play the watching game and hope my metaplasia doesn't change to dysplasia. The odds are greatly in my favor I will be fine but my father has MS, my mother died of cancer, my sister gave birth to an anacephalic bably, and my best friend who was in good shape died of a heart attack at 36 years old playing basketball so I get nervous playing the odds.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
(female)

mskubic HB User

just for your info if you ****** HPV & EC (spell it out on search engine) you will get info. on it

Old 05-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
(female)

Trish17 HB User

What are metaplasia and dysplasia? I was diagnosed with Barrett's about 7 years ago. I had to change drs. due to insurance changes, and the 2nd dr. said there was no sign of Barrett's. I have to take prevacid daily. Is esophogitis the same as GERD? I'm due for another endoscopy next year.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
(female)

IamNancy HB User

My doctor gave me a print out all about Barretts.. I didn't (and really still don't) feel stressed about it.. maybe I should be!

Closed Thread