It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User
Manometry and ph test normal ????????

Hi, These were normal, so why do I feel so bad? I have ALL the symptoms of GERD and LPR! I am in a lot of pain, feel bloated, heartburn, hypersalivation, lump in chest and throat and even an acidic/bitter taste.
I have been taken off Nexium and given Carafate, which I am told can help with bile reflux, but no change so far this past week...
I was told that despite normal test results, reflux can still occur due to transient relaxation of the LES which doesn't always show om manometry WHAT? If no extra acid - what is causing all the pain, burning and choking?
My spine was killing me in the night and my whole middle felt anguished this morning...sorry to vent gang...but STREWTH! If I wasn't bonkers before...I feel it now
Kim

Last edited by ~K~; 06-15-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Manometry and ph test normal ????????

Kim, I guess your results are a mixed blessing. At least they have somewhat ruled out acid-reflux as being the cause of your pain. Do you think you could have a food intolerance such as dairy, or carbs? I just wondered because you mentioned pain in the middle of your stomach.

I tried the SCD diet and was skeptical about it because I didn't really have a lot of the symptoms normally associated with the carb intolerance but after a week I felt noticably better. In addition to the digestive issues getting better I noticed that in general I feel better and my thinking is cleared. I thought that seem a little odd but I did some more reading a found that a carb intolerance can cause what they term as brain fog. That's a perfect discription to how I previously felt. So now I'm a little more conviced that I may actually have a problem with grains.

Hang in there, it's just a matter of time till you get this worked out and start feeling better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I don't think I have a food allergy, because this all came on very suddenly. I have Fibromyalgia or CFS as we tend to label it here, though some of my neuro tests have been abnormal which doesn't fit with Fibro. I don't know how much I trust the manometry and the gastro man suggested going back to the neurologist - this is what they do, just hand you over to someone else, who then tosses you back
Perhaps it is the transient LES relaxation that he mentioned...I'm lost, but so are many on here...
I'm still scared that it might turn out to be pancreas or something. NHS funding is limited here, so they sometimes give up the search until a person gets much worse. I need to give the carafate a good go, but even that burns me...

Old 05-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

K
My results were normal too and my symptoms and extreme, with breathing issues and tight throat... I don't understand either. I really feel like something HAS TO be going on and they are just not catching it...every test (besides cancer) I am hoping something comes up positive so that we can cure it...it's hard to cure something that the doctors don't think you have! UGH!
It's very frustrating! I'm right there with you!
Alex

Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Hi alex...thanks for reply. I know that you have been something of a twin to me with this. We will just have to keep lurking ...

Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

alex - I forgot to ask - you said your tests were normal, but did that include ph probe test?
I have a virus at the moment affecting lungs, which on top of the usual mucous in throat is pretty scary. I can't stop swallowing, gagging, coughing and choking. Ugh!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

My understanding is that the pH study is basically the gold standard for the diagnosis of reflux, and if that is normal, then they really should be looking for other causes of your symptoms.

I know it's frustrating to have annoying symptoms and not know what's causing it. Hopefully they will figure things out for you soon.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Closed Thread