It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
(male)

jamesrwright3 HB User
Endoscopy Sedation-What do they use?

I have to one soon. I think I am more scared about being sedated than having a tube shoved down my throat..what do they use when they put you under?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
Re: Endoscopy Sedation-What do they use?

When I had my endoscopy, they gave me an IV, and all of the anesthesia was through that. I didn't have to have to face mask thingy for that one. I really like the IV way instead of the face mask, because when you wake up your throat isn't near so dry and stuff. My throat didn't hurt at all after the endoscopy. Wasn't bad at all. Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

They will ask if you want to be put to sleep or stay awake with sedation. You don't want to be awake when they put the tube down, they have trouble getting it in and you might keep choking it back up. Do the anesthesia, you'll be asleep and the tube will go down nice and easily. You'll get some pictures afterwards of inside your stomach and esophagus. It only takes 10 minutes. You're going to be sore for a few weeks, but not badly at all. It'll linger and you'll think to yourself, god, what's with this. They are poking around in you, afterall. I go to the gym, so I unfortunately felt the soreness (kept forgetting and went to the gym anyway, but that's my problem).

Last edited by *DottieGirl*; 05-29-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

it's a VERY easy thing.. All of my sedations (I've had an endoscopy/colonoscopy.. but also 3 surgeries) were by IV. They get your IV set up and then right before they do the endoscopy they put the sedative in your IV. Before you can count to 10 you are off in la-la land fast asleep! I sometimes wish I could go through voluntary sedation now and then.. get a good nights sleep.. hehe! The good thing is with sedatives is there are few side effects.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
(female)

ArwenE HB User

I was more afraid of the sedation too...
Mine was this morning & it was SOOO easy... I actually felt good afterwards...relaxed & happy. My husband even said he wished I could bring the stuff home. LOL
Try not to worry.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I think I had a combination of Fentanyl and (can't use demoral) and versed. I don't knock out easy so was awake for alot of it but not when the tube actually went down. Ask for numbing spray in your throat even though it tastes disgusting because I believe that's what kept my throat from hurting afterwards. No sore throat. The thought of the test is scary but it happens so fast and it's over.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
(male)

ill HB User

Arwen, your comment about your husband made me laugh out loud hahaha. Good one.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
(female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User

I've had 2 endoscopies. I do not know for the first one but for the 2nd I was told they used something similar to Valium... and maybe something else. It is hard to knock me out for some reason (I am not a large person and I am female and young, too) so I was told later that they had to give me more doses, plural, thru the IV. But, I remembered not a thing of any of it. And that is how it is SUPPOSED to be if this is done properly.

I think everyone's experience will be a little different. I felt some throat pain for a few days afterward after my first endo, but not after the 2nd one (they were done a few years apart). The numbing throat spray is for that very reason: to lesson or eliminate any associated pain from the procedure. And when I say "pain", it is more like soreness.... like from yelling too loud or something, not like a severe sore throat. It is minor, and tea helps, and it is nothing to worry about. Sort of like if someone needed to examine your leg closely and ran an object down it..... strongly. Might feel some evidence of something having been done to your leg the next day but you know it isnt harmful or serious and you will be totally fine.

Actually for me, I was most worried about the throat spray! After the I had the 1st endoscopy, I realized that the not being able to feel my throat at all, was scary to me. But I have major sensitivity issues regarding my throat due to past traumas (nearly choking to death twice plus severe strep throats and tonsils out when I was a child). I kept thinking, What if I were to try and swallow something, I would choke since I cant even feel the back of my throat at all..... etc. I think the spray tasting nasty is the least of all of it! So what, its just a spray, like Chloraseptic or something and its gone (the taste of it) very quickly. Some people are just babies I guess

For your own peace of mind, I would call and ask your doctor or one of the nurses at the office, what medications exactly they will be using. Maybe they can even hook u up with someone, another patient, who has had the procedure and whom you could talk to.

I will say I was out COLD and remembered not one thing other than waking up! (I will not reveal what my FIRST endo was like, becasue I was not given enough medication, and it was a disaster....).
Tell your doctor to make sure you are really "out" before they attempt to put the scope down your throat. Let she/he and the nurses know you are nervous and would like extra reassurance. There is nothing wrong with this! Most people go into the medical fields because they care about and want to help, people.

Peace be with you,

FarmGirl

Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
(female)

dixiepeep HB User
Smile Re: Endoscopy Sedation-What do they use?

I have to have one done on Friday. I hope they knock me out completely. It is usually the best sleep with no kids screaming..lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmGirl31 View Post
I've had 2 endoscopies. I do not know for the first one but for the 2nd I was told they used something similar to Valium... and maybe something else. It is hard to knock me out for some reason (I am not a large person and I am female and young, too) so I was told later that they had to give me more doses, plural, thru the IV. But, I remembered not a thing of any of it. And that is how it is SUPPOSED to be if this is done properly.

I think everyone's experience will be a little different. I felt some throat pain for a few days afterward after my first endo, but not after the 2nd one (they were done a few years apart). The numbing throat spray is for that very reason: to lesson or eliminate any associated pain from the procedure. And when I say "pain", it is more like soreness.... like from yelling too loud or something, not like a severe sore throat. It is minor, and tea helps, and it is nothing to worry about. Sort of like if someone needed to examine your leg closely and ran an object down it..... strongly. Might feel some evidence of something having been done to your leg the next day but you know it isnt harmful or serious and you will be totally fine.

Actually for me, I was most worried about the throat spray! After the I had the 1st endoscopy, I realized that the not being able to feel my throat at all, was scary to me. But I have major sensitivity issues regarding my throat due to past traumas (nearly choking to death twice plus severe strep throats and tonsils out when I was a child). I kept thinking, What if I were to try and swallow something, I would choke since I cant even feel the back of my throat at all..... etc. I think the spray tasting nasty is the least of all of it! So what, its just a spray, like Chloraseptic or something and its gone (the taste of it) very quickly. Some people are just babies I guess

For your own peace of mind, I would call and ask your doctor or one of the nurses at the office, what medications exactly they will be using. Maybe they can even hook u up with someone, another patient, who has had the procedure and whom you could talk to.

I will say I was out COLD and remembered not one thing other than waking up! (I will not reveal what my FIRST endo was like, becasue I was not given enough medication, and it was a disaster....).
Tell your doctor to make sure you are really "out" before they attempt to put the scope down your throat. Let she/he and the nurses know you are nervous and would like extra reassurance. There is nothing wrong with this! Most people go into the medical fields because they care about and want to help, people.

Peace be with you,

FarmGirl

Closed Thread