It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

shelovescliche HB User
Getting rid of GERD? Is it possible?

I was wondering if anyone's found a way to actually get rid of their GERD/ acid reflux?

I've had the GERD for about...seven years now, so I'm used to it, but it's still bothersome.

I'm already maxed out on protonix; the doctors I saw a few years ago told me that it was HIGHLY unusual for someone my age to have it (I developed it at about 10 years old, I'm 17 now), and that, because of my age, it would most likely disappear in the next few years.

Well, it hasn't disappeared. If anything, it's only getting worse. I cut out most of the things you're not supposed to eat or drink with GERD, I don't do anything to aggravate it.

I've tried nearly every medication there is for it; starting with the OTC meds, and then working through nexium and a few others (which had relatively no effect whatsoever on the GERD; it continued to get worse). The protonix is the first medication that allows me to escape most of the usual symptoms, but it's still not enough.

Is there any way to REALLY get rid of this? I'm worried that, at this rate, the protonix won't help in another year or two, and I don't know what I'll do then.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Getting rid of GERD? Is it possible?

The only way to get rid of it is to truly find out the cause. That's the problem with most GERD/reflux sufferers. Doctors don't know anything about the cause of it so therefore they just give you a prescription for something hoping it will help. I've found out personally that zinc gets rid of my reflux. I guess I have a zinc deficiency. The cause is different for everyone but its just hard to figure it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #3
(male)

miknan HB User

The doctors will keep trying meds, diet, and exercise to control your reflux (as they should) but there is a surgery called Fundoplication Surgery that can eliminate GERD. I personally only know one person who has had this done and it worked great for him. I guess the surgery is quite involved although can be done laproscopic. I'm not sure how common it is or if you would be a good candidtate or not but it might be worth looking into. .. You are way too young for this, good luck.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

I no longer have a problem. When I developed GERD/Acid Reflux a neighbor recommended a powerful Probiotic (capsules) and KEFIR (a cousin of yogurt) sold in supermarkets which is also a Probiotic. It took a few weeks but it worked. The Probiotic that I continue to take has 15 Strains & 35 Billion Microorganisms per two capsules. In addition to both these products take a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water twice a day. These three recommendations are safe and All Natural.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #5
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

Hi mikeny,
What where your symptoms of gerd. My are really bad and the meds aren't working. How many of the prodibits did you take and do they have any reactions from them. I have tried all the antacids and they don't work at all. I hate feeling this way i woke up this way 11 months ago and i am only 34 years old. I feel like my chest is tight and my mouth and throat hurt like they are swallon. My abdomen (upper) is so bloated. and the shortness of breath is horrible. I no it isn't anxiety because i was on zanax for 2 month and it did nothing the problem was still there.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 AM   #6
(female)

lstek HB User

How did you determine that zinc was your problem? What type of doctor or testing did you seek out? I have had this problem(a lite version) for several years. After having my son by c-section 6 months ago, my reflux has gone haywire! Nothing helps....otc's, antacid, prilosec, aciphec or nexium. getting worried. I do have quite a bit of back stiffness and pain....worsening with the reflux....chicken or the egg?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

The reaction from Probiotics was that it cured Acid Reflux. The symptoms that I had was gas, bloating, nervous stomach & contipation. Many months later when I went to the Doctor for an annual blood test, I mentioned Acid Reflux and how I cured it. His response, "All natural is always better than medications which have negative side effects." He asked me for the name of the product and where I ordered it. This doctor is very opened minded when it comes to healing all naturally and shares an office with a Chiropractor which is unheard of. Doctors never recommend Probiotics since they have little or no knowledge of this product. I plan to continue taking Probiotics and at $28 for a two month supply it's not a financial hardship. I can eat whatever I want without a problem.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

HI MIKENY,
Can you list the names and how much oer day you take of them. My symptoms are bloating, shortness of breath, pain ibetween the breast bone, and pressue in my nose and ears they say it is all from the reflux. My head feels weird since i have been on the ppi's for the last 11 months. I would love to try something natural to stop all of this because i would love to have a second baby but not hte way i feel. I can;t even work anymore.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

I take two capsules a day of NSI Probiotic 15-35 with NutraFlora after breakfast. I use Lifeway KEFIR 32 oz. container which has 10 Probiotic Cultures. It comes in many flavors and is delicious straight or poured over fruit. You'll find it in the yogurt section. Health food stores also have it. It's low in sugar. I never really noticed it until it was recommended for acid reflux. You should give this time. I also remember having shortness of breath which was from the bloating. If you have success, please post for others. Good Luck.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstek View Post
How did you determine that zinc was your problem? What type of doctor or testing did you seek out? I have had this problem(a lite version) for several years. After having my son by c-section 6 months ago, my reflux has gone haywire! Nothing helps....otc's, antacid, prilosec, aciphec or nexium. getting worried. I do have quite a bit of back stiffness and pain....worsening with the reflux....chicken or the egg?

I discovered zinc was the problem by pure accident. I was taking it for a totally different reason and I found that when I took it after a meal it made my reflux go away. I thought it was just a fluke but I continued to take it and its totally been working ever since. The longer I take it the better it works. I'm to the point now where I don't have any reflux symptoms at all after taking it. I wanna see what happens when I stop taking it but I'm too scared.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
(male)

Mrockrdude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknan View Post
The doctors will keep trying meds, diet, and exercise to control your reflux (as they should) but there is a surgery called Fundoplication Surgery that can eliminate GERD. I personally only know one person who has had this done and it worked great for him. I guess the surgery is quite involved although can be done laproscopic. I'm not sure how common it is or if you would be a good candidtate or not but it might be worth looking into. .. You are way too young for this, good luck.
The surgury you speak of is called Endoplication and I have had it done. I had this procedure done about 2 years ago and it did absolutely nothing for my GERD. It was done laproscopically and was basiclly the same as having an edoscopy done. As a result, I am still taking my double daily dose of Nexium. I wish you better luck than I have had.

Closed Thread