It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

Ish HB User
PPIs and low iron levels

Hello everyone,

I have LPR and gastritis which was found during a colonoscopy and endoscopy January 2007. I had extensive blood tests at that time and my iron levels were in the mid normal range.

I was prescribed Nexium 40 mg x 2 (morning and evening). My reflux was getting better. Two weeks ago, I began to feel tired and weak and had another series of blood tests done. My iron level was very low. About one month ago, I begin having orange tan stools alternating. He ordered stool samples and those contained no undigested fat.

After researching PPIs, I found that PPIs can and do cause low iron levels in some individuals. I guess I am one of those unfortunates. I am taking Ferrous Gluconate as prescribed by my gastroenterologist.

He is rechecking for diseases such as celiac, crohn's, and other malabsorption ailments. He did the same tests in January along with biopsies and they were all negative. I am scheduled for a CT Scan this Friday to rule out more serious possibilities.

Has anyone had their iron levels take a dive while on PPIs? Have any of you had iron levels checked if extreme fatigue is an issue with you?

My thanks in advance for any replies.

Ish

Last edited by Ish; 05-29-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

mom2cole HB User
Re: PPIs and low iron levels

Wow so glad you posted as this is similar to what I am going thru right now. I started have nausea mid last yr so they put me on aciphex but my symptons continued and got worse so my Dr did an upper GI and found the severe reflux and sent me to a GI Dr for endoscopy plus she put me on protonix (40 mg).

The GI Dr did the endo plus other tests including blood test. All my blood work was in normal range except for my ferritin, it showed a 19 which is normal (10-232 I was told) but at the low end of normal. The Dr wanted to do a colonoscopy to find out if internal bleeding but after I did some investigating regarding my diet (not so iron rich) and that I wasnt taking any vitamins or iron I decided to cancel test (for now only). I am now taking multi vitamin with iron and eating more iron rich foods. Tho I am waiting to hear from my regular Dr as to how much iron supplement I need to take to really help. I want to have blood recked whenever Dr feels necessary. Right now I am dealing with my son having major surgery in July so my focus is on that otherwise I may have donethe colonoscopy tho I still am not convinced since technically I am normal and I am not overly tired. So no symptons just my reflux plus I too have gastritis which found with the endo.

In my research I am finding that when you are on a PPI you then dont absorb iron as well as should or would if were not on the PPI. So I also think this could be affecting me. What was your iron level or ferritin, do you know? My hemoglobin was normal at 14.2 (normal 11.7-15.5 per my lab report).

I am curious what your Dr is doing for your gastritis as mine did not do anything special when he found that out. He just kept me on the protonix and said if heartburn continues and I dont feel better with this then he will add zantac at night so I assume PPI meds help with gastritis also. hmmm
Stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

Ish HB User

HI !

I am currently off the Nexium and taking the iron tablets. He will do another blood test in three weeks and see what is going on with the iron. I do not know what my level read, but he said I was anemic.

It is a catch 22 sometimes, isn't it?

Ish

Old 05-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
(female)

mom2cole HB User

So I assume your LPR has gotten better since you are off the nexium. Lucky you as it seemed like my Dr wants me on it indefinitely and I dont think that is healthy from what stuff i have found in researching. Plus the iron problem too. My GP told me today to try slo fe iron supplement for 6 wks then have my blood rechecked to see how that is helping the ferritin/iron. She said for now to continue taking the mulit vitamin with 18 mg iron and the slo fe once a day so I hope this helps somewhat. Plus I am eating more iron rich foods.

A definite catch 22 cause some of the foods I need to eat for iron, like red meat, I am not too eat alot of as may bother my reflux. uggg very frustrating.

Good luck with your CT this Friday and all your other tests.

Closed Thread