It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
(female)

jpeder04 HB User
When did you get your Endo?

I'm curious at what point in your treatment/diagnosis your doctor did an endo on you? I'm about to go off my protonix meds soon and I have a feeling my reflux will return, which will require another doctor's office visit to figure out how to treat. I just don't know what to expect - will she just put me on something like Nexium, will she send me to a gastro?

To be honest, I would rather just have the surgery and be done with it. A friend from work had acid reflux and he was on nexium for a few years. He had the surgery two years ago and hasn't had any problems since. I'd like your opinions on surgery versus pills....what do you think?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
(female)

mskubic HB User
Re: When did you get your Endo?

jpeder04

I have not had the surgery but have heard alot of horror stories from people who have had. Have you made any life style changes or anything. I know diet and exercise can really help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
(female)

jpeder04 HB User

I haven't made any dietary changes because I can't figure out my triggers. And to be honest, it seems as though I can't eat anything - everything seems to cause reflux.

I do exercise however, and it seems to help...does that make sense - that exercise helps my reflux? I don't understand why it would. Do you or anyone else know?

Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

You mean "endoscopy"? (sorry, not hip to all the slang in this forum LOL)

I have been having some stomach issues for quite some time. When I was pregnant with my daughter (who recently turned 5), I kept having episodes of gnawing, bloating, etc.. feeling in my upper abdomen. Spasms. And I thought perhaps they were due to pregnancy, and perhaps even braxton-hicks contractions. Every time I ate broccoli and rice, it seemed to get worse. I don't know why. (I was just trying to eat healthy!) Well, it went away, but I think came back somewhat during my second pregnancy (my son will be 4 in Sept). Now I don't recall having any problems between that pregnancy, and April 1st of this year, when all of a sudden I was in horrible pain. A week after it started up, I went to the regular dr, who put me on Prevacid. It helped, but I was still having the sensations. So she put me on Nexium. It was actually working quite well, for about a week, until I started this antibiotic regimen the Lyme dr has me on. So at that point, the dr just had me stop taking the Nexium (which seems ok, as my issues have lessened somewhat), and I have my 'scope on June 15th.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
(female)

jpeder04 HB User

wow - your situation sounds somewhat like mine. My son will be five in July and I had the occasional heartburn when I was pregnant with him...and same with my daughter who will be 4 next January. I developed my problems in March of this year.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeder04 View Post
wow - your situation sounds somewhat like mine. My son will be five in July and I had the occasional heartburn when I was pregnant with him...and same with my daughter who will be 4 next January. I developed my problems in March of this year.

I had lots of heartburn when I was pregnant- with both kids. I know one pregnancy was worse than the other, although I can't recall which at the time. The heartburn and frequent need to urinate really put a damper on the pregnancy, to say the least. I have actually had a lot of heartburn in the last several months, although not really since April 1st, when this other stuff came back. I'm not sure why.. maybe the heartburn lead up to the whatever else is going on. The doctor hasn't said "gerd", and she didn't think it was a hernia, because she thinks it would have gotten worse.. (Although apparently ti's bad enough for a scope? LOL) And I tested negative for the H Pylori or whatever it is... with my luck, they'll go in and tell me they can't see anything wrong with me. Seems like everything I'm tested for ends up that way for me. LOL

Old 06-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
(female)

jpeder04 HB User

Well good luck to you on your tests. I just don't know what to expect with this thing...it kind of makes me sad to know I'll have to deal with this indefinitely...oh well - you learn to adjust.

Closed Thread