It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
(male)

prilosapien HB User
Taking much more Prilosec than should be

Sorry if it's all been covered, i'm desperate.

Sex: Male
I smoke and i drink too much
I have had bad heartburn since i was 18, at least as far as i can tell
Started Prilosec OTC about two years ago
The first 2 week phase worked rather well, but not for four months. only about a month.

Well, one thing led to another and I'm taking 2 pills a day and have been (yet somewhat inconsistenly) for the past 6 months.

Is this dangerous? What will happen? I feel that I am suffering from side effects, but not sure.

I have no health insurance.

Help.

EDIT: Decided more info would be helpful. I'm starting to take three a day because even 2 a day isn't cutting it anymore. I know what I'm doing is wrong, but I need to hear from more informed individuals about what is happening or will happen to me if i continue on this path and also just advice for better alternatives. Keep in mind i have no health insurance and I'm pretty much poor right now. In fact prilosec otc is becoming too expensive if i take 3 a day. just talk to me, i'll give more info if needed.

Last edited by prilosapien; 05-31-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: more info

Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
(male)

BigBlock21 HB User
Re: Taking much more Prilosec than should be

Sounds like you should be taking something different. Prilosec isn't something you're meant to take for immediate relief...it's a long term thing. There are different medicines designed to get rid of heart burn right now, and they're much more OK to take frequently. DON'T keep taking that much Prilosec, you'll probably end up in the hospital...and it will be MUCH more expensive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
(male)

prilosapien HB User

which brings me to another point. all the things i've read say "don't take more than one pill in 24 hours and don't take it for more than 2 weeks in a 4 month period" but no one says why or what will happen. why will i be in the hospital?

also, to bigblock21, if i don't take prilosec, i know within 24 hours and I DO take other things like tums or rolaids.

okay, okay. let's break it down like this. i can't afford to do anything else, so basically, what am i up against if i keep abusing prilosec otc?

The Following User Says Thank You to prilosapien For This Useful Post:
Flyerfan (08-18-2011)
Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
(male)

BigBlock21 HB User

I don't know what it can do to you if you keep taking it, but I know the package says not to without a doctor's supervision...they say that for a reason. I believe Prilosec used to be available only by prescription, that means it's some pretty powerful stuff. If you need to keep taking more and more that's a sign something bad is happening. What's wrong with just taking rolaids instead? I'm pretty sure they aren't harmful at all...

Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
(male)

prilosapien HB User

those things only help for about 30 minutes and sometimes don't even help completely. can what i'm doing cause a blood clot? my leg hurts.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
(male)

john00-us HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock21 View Post
. DON'T keep taking that much Prilosec, you'll probably end up in the hospital...
i don't think it is true though. with prilosec once you do the 14 days treatment, you just have to wait 2 to 3 months before restarting it.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
(female)

Raindancer HB User

I have been taking 40 MG of Prilosec since last Nov. Now Dr wants me on 80 Nexuium! Did that for almost 2 weeks then went back to 60 and now back to 20 prilosec. I have constant nausea, loss of appetite and stomach pain. I had a barium swallow 2 weeks ago..have a strictsture where esphogaus meets stomach. Have had colonscopy and endscopy about 2 1/2 years ago and all was OK. I am so sick of being sick. The big dose of Nexium made it worse., I think.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

Taking 2 Prilosec OTC a day is the equivelant of 40mg of Prilosec. When I was on Prilosec I took 80mg a day- consistently. So, you probably aren't gonna OD and end up in the hospital, but you should see a doctor and get your reflux evaluated for real. You need to know if reflux is really your problem.

I will say stop drinking and smoking. It's just making things worse.

I'll also say that taking tums and rolaids too close to the Prilosec will render the Prilosec useless. A downfall that's seldom mentioned.

Severe GERD and Gastroparesis- Prevacid, Domperidone, Zofran & Carafate as needed

Asthma- Advair 500/50, Qvar, Albuterol, Singular, Xolair

Last edited by blondy2061h; 06-19-2007 at 02:10 PM.

Closed Thread