It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
(female)

ArwenE HB User
Question Acid/Alkaline diet ?s

I was looking at acid/alkaline food lists because I'm just so sick of being in pain and taking meds that don't take it all away...
Anyway...has anyone tried going on a low acid food diet?
Also, I found many different charts with inconsistencies...some say tomatoes & lemons are actually alkaline when they are digested (they give some scientific explanation), some say they are high acid. I just don't know what to believe and when you are as desperate as I am you really just want some answers.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Acid/Alkaline diet ?s

I've not tried the Acid/Alkaline diet but since no one has responded I throw in my .02. I know the diet has quite a following and there does seem to be a lot of disagreement concerning different foods among it's supporters. There is even more debate over whether or not the body PH can be changed and maintaned thru diet. To me the diet seems to be going in the right direction: cut out proccessed foods, eat more greens, cut back on the meat, ect.... I wouldn't worry about every single food you eat in a given day. Just try to follow the general guidelines and you should do ok.

I don't mean to discourage you but I really wonder if this diet is appropriate for someone who is suffering from digestive stress issues. I get the impression that this diet stress raw foods and that might be to aggressive for someone who has been suffering from GERDS and is planning to go off of the meds. I do think it would be a good diet to transition into eventually after you get feeling better, but I would start with a diet stressing easy to digest foods in the begining. A number of posters on this board including myself have had some success using the SCD diet. I think one could probably follow the Acid/Alkaline diet within the guide lines of the SCD diet if they wanted. You might consider using enzimes, probiotics and ACV along with diet to give yourself the best possible chance of beating the GERDS Monster.

Regarding the tomatoe it is usually considered a trigger food that may cause the LES to relax. I'de cross it off the list at least in the beginning.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.........Red

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
(female)

ArwenE HB User

Thanks much for your reply.
I did invest in some good probiotics & enzymes & even ph paper to test the acidity etc.
As far as ACV...I tried it a few weeks ago (Bragg's) and it immediately produced the most painful heartburn I've ever experienced...to the point I could not sleep & ended up in tears all night...so I haven't tried it again.
I'm also someone who doesn't do well on many vegetables...but I'm trying to add more than my daily spinach, lettuce & carrots.
I tried a low carb diet a few years back and while I successfully lost a lot of weight, I felt like crap and really felt so much better once I added grains back into my diet.
My inability to tolerate many vegetables, and the absence of grains is why I am reluctant to try the SCD diet.
Thanks much for the suggestions though!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
(male)

ill HB User

Hi, this is my first post... I have GERD non-diagnosed as of late but I have all of the symptoms w/ Gastritis and some mild colitis & that's what the docs wrote in my files. It is possible I may have a hiatal hernia though I don't know as of yet cause despite my ability to be able to reduce acid reflux, I have a lot of chest pains sometimes... Anyhow, I get relief from eating a more alkaline based diet & by avoiding certain foods. I haven't tried eating raw tomato yet but it's supposed to be alkaline as opposed to cooked tomato which turns highly acidic and is an absolutely NO for GERD sufferers. Lemon despite being a citrus fruit and tasting acidic is also said to be alkaline & can help relieve symptoms, I would squeeze some in water if I were you. The same goes for pineapple and Organic Apple Cider Vinegar which helped relieve many of my symptoms. Next time you might want to mix 2 tbsps of ACV with 1/2 a tsp of Baking soda in 2 ounces of water. The solution will turn more neutral & shouldn't cause as much problems. If that doesn't work, just add a tsp of Baking Soda in some water at least an hr before meals or before bed.

Last edited by ill; 06-12-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Closed Thread