It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

llerzoe HB User
Introduction/sore throat/constant gnawing hunger

*Update*

I saw a gastrointerologist (sp) today and I think the only thing worse than a doctor who doesn't take you very seriously is a doctor who seems more alarmed by your symptoms than you are...

But the good news is he's going to get me in to be scoped the day after tomorrow. He's also doing some blood work. Ordered dupes of what I had done last month and also included a test C-19 or something that's supposed to point to pancreatic tumor. He did a rectal exam (wasn't expecting that!) and used some sort of litmus test to determine there was blood. Said it could be nothing, could be something.

After yet another day of being so hungry that I could eat the cat (nay, BOTH cats), I begged him for something to make that go away. He said no, he didn't want to mask symptoms until he knew me better.

I liked him.

---------------------------------------

Original Post:

Hello fellow sufferers

I have been lurking here for a few days and thought I'd go ahead and post.

I am a 36 yo female who just recently (5 weeks ago) started experiencing sore throat and nighttime regurgitation / aspiration of stomach contents. I also noticed a dull, pulsing ache on my right side below my ribs (though it moved sometimes to more in my abdomen).

Things move slowly on Maui where I live and it seems like it's hard to get a doc to take you seriously. Therefore I plopped myself in the emergency room for some one-stop shopping of diagnostic tests. They did full blood work and an ultrasound of my abdomen. They found nothing but slightly elevated amylase levels. They gave no hint what this might indicate and sent me on my way, saying I needed to get it checked again in 2-3 weeks. That was about 4 weeks ago and I plan to contact a Dr. tomorrow to follow up. I am now in CA, staying with my parents for a few months so I am going to start fresh with a new dr. This is probably a good thing. I am also going to try to get scoped, as my current other problem is this horrible gnawing, nagging hunger pain in my stomach, which does not react at all to anything I eat. It is simply ALWAYS there. I have no idea when or how much to eat as it overrides my internal signals. And it makes me obsess about food constantly. Really annoying.

The doc I saw back on the island just said I should take 2 months of Prilosec and then we'll talk. I just don't think I can deal with gnawing hunger for 2 months! If anyone has any experience with this please post.

Other history...

I have had one previous (2003) very bad episode of repeated nighttime regurgitation that made me considerably more raw. I treated it myself (no insurance) with OTC Prilosec. Honestly I can't remember how long it took. A few months, perhaps. And I think I only took 1 pill every morning. I do remember that at this same time I started experiencing many of the same chest discomforts that I have read others post about here. Shortness of breath, wierd referred pain to my arms, and (oddly) this is when my neck pains began as well. The odd chest fullnesss and pain have remained but (thankfully) I have been heartburn/rawness/nighttime regurgitation-free for these years. I believe this is probably when I developed my hiatal hernia, but who can really say.

Back then, when I finally got insurance I went ahead and got scoped. They found nothing but the hiatal hernia. I believe, had this scope been done during my symptomatic period, they may have found quite a bit of erosion. I could not speak or swallow without great difficulty during this time.

I am now on 40 mg of Prilosec a day, at Dr's request. I am doing the OTC Prilosec b/c my insurance does not cover prescriptions and the cost is roughly the same for OTC. Doc said the two were basically the same so I went for the OTC because it was easier/less cash outlay at a time.

I believe the Prilosec is helping. I have not had nighttime regurgitation and I THINK my throat and esophagus are healing. It is hard to tell at the moment b/c I believe I have a virus that's renting space in my throat.

I'm also taking Probiotics daily but I need to get a new bottle tomorrow as the one I have with me did not stay refrigerated through my long travels and I suspect it's largely inactive. So I've been off that for a few days, I think.

I started drinking coffee again sometime after I had my daughter in Oct. 2005. I can't remember how long I've been drinking it. Probably 6 months or so. I think I've gradually been increasing the amount. I feel this may be contributing but I have not (this is embarassing) yet cut out that last cup in the morning. I'm scared of the headache. I think tomorrow Ill take 1/2 cup and taper down from there.

Since my toddler started eating regular food, I started making mac 'n cheese a few nights a week. She'd have two bites, I'd eat half the pan. I think this may have started the nighttime problems. Doc told me specifically that foods like mac 'n cheese can really cause problems in digestion due to the heavy, hard to digest fats. I am interested in trying some of the dietary changes discussed here and seeing if I have any success. I've definitely started eating the bulk of my meals earlier in the day to avoid going to bed full.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Any replies are very much appreciated. Take care!

Last edited by llerzoe; 06-04-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
(female)

llerzoe HB User
Re: Introduction/sore throat/constant gnawing hunger

Oh - I forgot to mention a few things.

1) Before this last attack, I was on a one-week (3x a day for 7 days) course of amoxicillin.

2) I did request the H. Pylori test in the ER, and that was the one test I did not get the results back for in the same day. The doc said during my follow-up visit that he'd call me if the results were positive but I haven't heard from him. I am going to call and make sure that the result was indeed negative.

Last edited by llerzoe; 06-04-2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: x

Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
(female)

mellyuk HB User

Hi

You seem to have the same problem as me, I am 30 female from England.

I know it is so worrying when Dr's don't take the seriously, any food sets me off, I am on Omerpzole mg once a day, however due to the gwaning pain sometimes I just have to take two.

I have to go back to my doc in 3 weeks and she may send me for a scope as I cannot go on like this.

I eat healthy food and regular food but my stomach is always crying out with hunger pains. I have put on a stone in weight since all this started as I have to keep eating, and the weight has gone on dispite me working out for about 5 hours a week, plud loads of walking.

I wish you well and please tell me if you find a cure

Keep well

Melly x

Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

llerzoe HB User

Hi Melly

Thank you for replying. I am sorry to hear you have the same problem but at the same time it's comforting to learn I'm not alone. How long has your problem been going on? I have put on some weight already as the temptation to gorge myself to "scratch that itch" is overwhelming. Then I feel even worse b/c the hunger continues, remininding me even more strongly that something is wrong. And how do we know how much to eat? When to eat? Let's keep each other posted on what we learn.

I made an appt. with a general practitioner for tomorrow morning. I made one with a gastrointerologist for two weeks from now, as well (always one for hedging my bets)

I also am going to get some Mylanta later. I'm hoping that coating the stomach may ease the sensation some. Have you tried this?

Take care - Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyuk View Post
Hi

You seem to have the same problem as me, I am 30 female from England.

I know it is so worrying when Dr's don't take the seriously, any food sets me off, I am on Omerpzole mg once a day, however due to the gwaning pain sometimes I just have to take two.

I have to go back to my doc in 3 weeks and she may send me for a scope as I cannot go on like this.

I eat healthy food and regular food but my stomach is always crying out with hunger pains. I have put on a stone in weight since all this started as I have to keep eating, and the weight has gone on dispite me working out for about 5 hours a week, plud loads of walking.

I wish you well and please tell me if you find a cure

Keep well

Melly x

Old 06-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
(male)

miknan HB User

I have a long hx of GERD and gallbladder problems and currently recovering (not very well) from gb surgery (see my other posts).

Rewind many years ago, I had similar problems to you. You are doing the right thing in taking the Prilosec but despite your hunger you need to watch what and how much you eat. You MUST not overeat or eat the fatty, fried food because that will only make you reflux worse. Drink plenty of water, exercise even if it is just taking a walk, eat right and if you are lucky that it all it will take. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
(female)

llerzoe HB User

Miknan,

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry you're having such a rough gb surgery recovery. I did read some of your previous posts. I hope your recovery takes a turn for the better soon!

I read in one of your earlier replies that the doc had found bile in your stomach during a scope. Did you experience gastritis from that? Is that where your particular gnawing hunger came from? And how is that now? Did the doctor ever suggest one of those procedures where they route the bile tube thingy (sorry - I'm a newbie) further down your duodenum to lessen reflux into the stomach? Just curious.

Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknan View Post
I have a long hx of GERD and gallbladder problems and currently recovering (not very well) from gb surgery (see my other posts).

Rewind many years ago, I had similar problems to you. You are doing the right thing in taking the Prilosec but despite your hunger you need to watch what and how much you eat. You MUST not overeat or eat the fatty, fried food because that will only make you reflux worse. Drink plenty of water, exercise even if it is just taking a walk, eat right and if you are lucky that it all it will take. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
(male)

miknan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerzoey View Post
Miknan,

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry you're having such a rough gb surgery recovery. I did read some of your previous posts. I hope your recovery takes a turn for the better soon!

I read in one of your earlier replies that the doc had found bile in your stomach during a scope. Did you experience gastritis from that? Is that where your particular gnawing hunger came from? And how is that now? Did the doctor ever suggest one of those procedures where they route the bile tube thingy (sorry - I'm a newbie) further down your duodenum to lessen reflux into the stomach? Just curious.

Take care.
Killerzoey,

Thanks for the well wishes. I was diagnosed with gastritis after my scope revealed bile in my stomach. He never said but I assumed that was where my nausea/hunger was coming form. That was when he put me on Reglan. That drug helps your stomach empty faster and it worked very well for me before my gallbladder surgery. You may read some horror stories about side effects on here but for me it was awesome. Wish it would work now. As far as the bile reflux surgery, my surgeon has yet to suggest it. He is hoping that my gallbladder surgery takes care of all my problems. He said most people turn the corner between days 10-14 and I am now at day 12. I guess I feel a little better but that is relative to miserable and barely functionable. I asked how he can tell bile reflux from acid reflux and he said the acid can be tested by 24 hr PH test or Bravo Ph test but it is difficult to actually do a similar test for bile. He said it is a very sophistcated test that is not done where I live near Grand Rapids, MI.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
(male)

scott1360 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknan View Post
Killerzoey,

Thanks for the well wishes. I was diagnosed with gastritis after my scope revealed bile in my stomach. He never said but I assumed that was where my nausea/hunger was coming form. That was when he put me on Reglan. That drug helps your stomach empty faster and it worked very well for me before my gallbladder surgery. You may read some horror stories about side effects on here but for me it was awesome. Wish it would work now. As far as the bile reflux surgery, my surgeon has yet to suggest it. He is hoping that my gallbladder surgery takes care of all my problems. He said most people turn the corner between days 10-14 and I am now at day 12. I guess I feel a little better but that is relative to miserable and barely functionable. I asked how he can tell bile reflux from acid reflux and he said the acid can be tested by 24 hr PH test or Bravo Ph test but it is difficult to actually do a similar test for bile. He said it is a very sophistcated test that is not done where I live near Grand Rapids, MI.
I believe the test your doctor is talking about is the impedence test. It is very similar to the 24 hr ph test but it can detect reflux of any ph (both acidic and non-acidic). I had it done (and will have to again) here in Chicago at Northwestern Hospital but my doctor told me the test is very expensive and painstaking to read so Im thats why a lot of facilities do not have access to the diagnostic tools.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #9
(female)

llerzoe HB User

Got scoped this morning. He took some pics but I'm hazy on what they mean. One showed something apparently pushing on my stomach (at the top I think) and he is going to CT scan me. Another showed a red patch of irritation on my duodenum. No ulcers. Didn't say anything about gastritis. Said nothing really jumped out as alarming but he does need to find out what is causing the stomach to look like that.

Of course if anyone has any information or experience about this that would be great, as it's got me a bit freaked out.

I was sure he would say "gastritis" or "ulcer". When I asked him if that "irritation" area could cause chronic hunger his answer was pretty vague.

The procedure itself was a breeze. They gave me versed and demerol.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
(male)

miknan HB User

Did he take any biopsies?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #11
(female)

llerzoe HB User

Yes. He did. He didn't say where. I go in for my CT scan tomorrow and hopefully meet with the doc next week. I started taking mastic gum yesterday and I had a better day today, I think. Still hungrier than I think I should be but not as distracting today.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #12
(female)

llerzoe HB User

Hi

I met with my Dr. yesterday and thought we were going to go over the bloodwork I had done, but I learned that I never had it done! They were supposed to come get it from me before my endoscopy, but after the sedation drugs were given me I never realized they didn't come draw my blood! I remembered getting stuck, lol...

So this morning I got blood drawn. Of course the one that takes the longest (1 week) to get results on is the one we're most interested in, the CA-19, which would indicate if there were a tumor in the pancreas excreting gastrin. I know this is rare but he wants to rule it out.

CT scan was unremarkable, so that is promising.

But I go in for a colonoscopy (oh joy!) Tuesday as he feels that he needs to rule out a tumor causing my stomach to appear pushed-in. The CT scan was done to rule out a sub-mucosal tumor, but the scan showed no thickening anywhere in the stomach wall, or anything odd, for that matter.

The biopsy showed NO H. Pylori but it did show "chronic irritation". Is that the same thing as gastritis?

I am SO glad my doctor is ordering up all the tests he is and not just sending me on my way with PPI drugs.

It may be a tad better than a few weeks ago, but I am so tired of being hungry! Assuming everything comes back normal, what NOW? I am on a very bland diet and have noticed that following the two times I did eat spicy food I had several worse-than-average days. I think salt may irritate me, too. I used to be able to eat anything, and we're not talking very long ago. We're talking about April!

Thanks for listening. I wish you all resolution of your health issues.

Last edited by llerzoe; 06-22-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Closed Thread