It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

jpeder04 HB User
Question for you all - Need an opinion

Hi - I have what I think is GERD - not officially diagnosed but I went to the doctor with GERD symptoms and she gave me six weeks of protonix. For the most part, it really helped. Now I'm going into three days off the meds and I'm trying to alter my diet to see if I can control it that way.

My question to you is...would it be better to be on medicine and eat what you want (to some extent) or would you rather be able to control GERD through your diet - and deny yourself some damned good food?

I'm not sure I can give up stuff like coffee, chocolate and wine....I'm kind of addicted to them (but I'm not an alcoholic - drinking a glass of wine is a way for me to relax). I'm at day two without any coffee and limited chocolate milk and I'm still getting a few symptoms....and it's so hard to not be able to have that stuff.

Any of your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User
Re: Question for you all - Need an opinion

jpeder04,
I go back and forth with this-whether to stay on the Protonix and eat what I want and sometimes take pain medications that irritate the stomach or get off the medication and limit my diet. Even when I limit my diet on Protonix I have some stomach symptoms. I have concerns about staying on a medication that is designed for use up to 2 months not for years. Plus the added side effect of nightmares.

I guess I'd get off the Protonix if your symptoms totally disappear because why take medication when just making food selections can keep you from further damage. I don't know if Protonix is the type of medication that you can take if you want to splurge and have a meal with acidity foods and then take the medication to counteract the high acid.

Last edited by taape; 06-05-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
(female)

mom2cole HB User

Hi
I think even when you are on the meds you still have to watch your diet. I have been on Protonix for some months now and still have had to change my diet. Yes, it totally sucks! But I feel no other choice because if I went hog wild eating and drinking all I want and still on meds I most definitely would have problems. Tho remember everyone is different and this is just what is my case. I also have hyetial hernia and gastritis so I think my stomache is a bit more messed up then some.

I too love to have a glass of wine to relax or an occasional drink or some coffee, chocolate, tea,etc.. but for now I limit them. For quite awhile I drastically changed my diet and stayed away from those items completely but the past few wks I have been finally having more good days then bad so can have an occasional drink or coffee,etc.. and so far no problems.

I also started taking probiotics daily for the past two - three wks as heard alot of good things about it helping Gerd naturally instead of thru medicine. I think it has helped with some of my stomache problems,oh I also now eat activa yogurt as heard good stuff about that too. I am trying to do the natural stuff tho will stay on protonix also - for how long, I am not sure yet.

Another thing you can try is Prelief, it is suppose to take the acid out of acidy foods and drinks. You can buy it at a drugstore or online. I take it when I have a drink or cup of coffee etcc...

Good luck!
Stacey

Last edited by mom2cole; 06-05-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Hi...I have to say that even when I stay on my meds, I still have to watch my diet. The meds (in my case) generally stop working with in 6 months anyway and some of them give me really bad side effects (aciphex and prevacid). I don't know which is better, I do have to say that when I am able to control my stress levels (and diet) I do much better without the drugs, but that is usually easier said than done. I am not sure what the answer is because I too struggle, all I know is that in my case the drugs have been great in the beginning and over rated/full of side effects after awhile.
Best of luck, if you find any answers please let us all know, we would sure appreciate it!
Blessings to you all!
Crazy

Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 AM   #5
(female)

jpeder04 HB User

Roxie - was that surgery ever an option for you??

Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

What worked for me was a very powerful Probiotic. It took a few weeks. I still continue to take it and can eat anything without any problems including wine, coffee and desserts. I complement you for looking at an all natural approach.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
(female)

jpeder04 HB User

Mike in NY _ what probiotic are you taking? I'm drinking a danactive each morning.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

I'm taking two tablets after breakfast of NSI Probiotic 15-35 with NutraFlora POS. It contains 15 Strains/35 Billion Microorganisms (good bacteria). Along with this consider drinking KEFIR (cousin of yogurt) which is a Probiotic. It comes in many delicious flavors and is available in the dairy section of your supermarket. I drink it straight from the bottle and sometimes pour it over fresh fruit salad. A non dairy Probiotic is Kombucha Tea which is found in health food stores in the refrigeration section in 16oz bottles. It's fermented kombucka mushrooms & tea and contains a little alcohol. I've known others to use Apple Cider Vinegar which you could mix with the Kombucha Tea.

Closed Thread