It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
(male)

ingallsm HB User
New to Boards - Getting Familiar

Members:

I am new to ths board but am anxious to learn about others and their experience with acid reflux disease.

It all started in January of 2006, I started having chest and arm pain off and on for a couple of weeks. I became concerned that it was my heart and went to the hospital. Up until then I had never had any symptoms like these. I didn't think it was heart related but wanted to find out. The ER doctors ran blood tests, EKG, chest xray, and told me that I had acid reflux disease. I was given a prescription for Prilosec. A few days later I went to see my Primary Care Physician and he did another EKG, it was normal. He also sent me for a Stress Test with Echocardiogram. Both tests were normal. I also had a full abdominal ultrasound that was normal. I took the meds but with little help. This disease is very strange, I was having arm pain, chest pain, and nausea. I went back to the doctor a few months later because I was doing no better and he sent me for an endoscopy. The endoscopy was normal. Then PC Physician then put me on Aciphex. This med seemed to help aleve some of the symptoms. I went back to my doctor last week for a checkup and he gave me an EKG which was normal.

I guess my biggest fear is having undiagnosed heart disease. I am only 35and have normal BP and cholesterol. I still cant shake the fear of heart trouble. I have pressed my doctor but he says that nothing is wrong with my heart, it is acid reflux. He says that coronary artery disease would show on Stress Test or EKG. He did say that he would refer me to a Cardiologist if it would make me feel better but he said that the Cardio would likely run another stress test.

Having heart trouble consumes my every thought, I am truly miserable with this disease.

I would be interested to learn if other members have similar issues or experiences.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
Re: New to Boards - Getting Familiar

Hi..your story sounds like my life for the last 3 years. You are not alone!
This disease totally messes with your life and interferes completely! Back in April, I really thought I had it licked by taking Prevacid, then after about a month and a half the med stopped working and my life went crazy again. I quit taking the Prevacid last Friday because I felt like it wasn't working and the side effects were terrible. I felt good for a couple of days and not the acid is back. Milk will actually help with the burn sometimes and I have had some luck with DGL licorice, but it has not been consistant. I think I am going to try again taking it at every meal and see if I can get some relief.
As far as your heart goes,I have been through all of the tests, nuclear stress test, Echocardiogram and EKG and all came back good, but I am still paranoid as hell!!! Everytime I hurt I get worried and that is really not good for GERD.. Anyway!!!! Know that you are not alone, this is a great place to chat with folks that all feel very much like you. They also can offer some great advice and many people have found relief from the many ideas that come through this board...
Best of luck to you, I hope you feel better!!
Blessings,
Crazy

Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

Ish HB User

ingallsm,

You are in the right place to find others who have the same symptoms and fears as you do. I have dealt with this for 3 years or more and I still have that fear when a new pain comes along. The shortness of breath is the most frightening for me.

It helps to have the company of others who have had the same experiences.

The "search" feature is a good tool to find topics of interest.

Ish

Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I've had acid reflux & a sliding hiatal hernia for about 37 yrs. Two books really tell it like it is to clear up the heart condition aspect of acid reflux. "The Fire Inside" by M. Wolfe, MD & How to stop Heartburn by Anil Minocha, MD.
I don't use meds because of side effects. Lifestyle adjustments really help if you are willing to do them on a consistent basis. Yes, doing so really interfere's with your life but it is better than pain. Fam

Old 06-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

famnd...Are those books readily available at our local bookstores or ***********? Some books that folks recommend are hard to find..
I would love some more details. I have already made many, many changes but I am willing to try more.
I am so willing to try the lifestyle changes, the meds really don't work for me, I have found side effects with almost all meds that I have been on (except Zantac).
Thanks for the time, it is so appreciated!
Crazy

Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
(male)

ingallsm HB User

Thanks for your kind and heartfelt reply. I will stay current with the posts and learn as much as possible.

Last edited by ingallsm; 06-07-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
(male)

ingallsm HB User

Thanks for your response and the suggestion to use the search tool.

Talk to you later.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Fam,

Thanks for your book recommendations.

I hope these books are not out of print. I will check my regular book sources.
I will also do a search of our local library. If they do not have these books in their inventory, they'll find a library that does and will get them in for me through an interlibrary loan.

The Nexium has helped a lot. I am not having any problems today. I don't plan on taking it on regular basis. If I have acid reflux, will it come back frequently?

I agree with you 100% on the non-med approach whenever possible. I am starting yet another BP med today and that's bad enough.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-07-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Closed Thread