It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
(female)

cookie007 HB User
Acid Reflux Question

Hi I am new to the forum but am a sufferer of stomach acid.

Have a question for you all but i'll write up my story incase it makes it easier for you to understand my issues

I am not sure if it has anything to do with it but I had extreme heartburn whilst pregnant with my daughter (now 3 months old). It stopped once I gave birth so I didn't think much of it.
After 6 weeks ago I woke up at some ungodly hour of the night wanting to be sick, but it wouldn't happen. My ribs and back were aching something chronic and I was in agony. Both myself and my partner were a little worried but I felt fine the next morning so we dissmissed it as something I ate. A few nights later same thing. And it ended up being a nightly to every second night occurance with the same pains and nausea.
I finally went to see a doctor who said I had acid reflux and to take some tablets and cut out the caffeine, chocolate and all those kinds of things from my diet. I found the tablets didnt work at all, but kept taking them in hope they would.
After this happening for 4 weeks constantly, the tablets not working and numerous visits to the doctor prescribing me different medication at each visit, It just stopped.
I havent had another little episode in nearly 2 weeks, and as greatful I am that they have stopped, I am waiting for the next time it will happen

My question to you is, Has your reflux ever stopped only to come back again? Is there a time frame that it normally dissapears for? And should I still watch my diet in case?

I have been feeling a little weird tonight but nothing as bad as it was, I took a mylanta and I feel fine again. So i'm pretty confused over this Acid Reflux thing as my doctor didnt go into much detail about it all.

Thanks heaps in advance for any help you can give me

Peta

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User
Re: Acid Reflux Question

Your doctor like mine most likely knows nothing about Probiotics. I would recommend you visit your local health store and purchase the most powerful Probiotic (good bacteria) they have. I take two capsules after breakfast each morning that contains 35 Billion Microorganisms. It resolved acid reflux and I can now eat anything without a problem including caffeine and chocolate.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Mike,

[QUOTE]It resolved acid reflux and I can now eat anything without a problem including caffeine and chocolate[/QUOTE

It almost sounds too good to be true!

Are Pro-biotics expensive and do you have to take them on an ongoing basis, as you would rx meds? What about the yogurt-like substance I read about? Is it the same thing?

Flowergirl

Old 06-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

You really need to determine the cause of your reflux. I can't comment on the Probiotics, never have taken them. I learned how to control my symptoms with good habits. Eating well, staying away (or limiting) offending foods, don't over eat, don't eat too late and then lay down...elementary stuff. Stress can be a trigger also.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Evie,

Thank you for your advice.

I have other medical issues (under control now) which take precedence. I guess if the GI issues become a BIG problem, my doctor will start paying more attention and send me for tests. He was/is very reluctant to explore this further as there is a possibility that all/some of my symptoms are caused by my rx medications. Right now they are being changed again. One of them was discontinued completely and I am starting another one today. Meanwhile, I was given Nexium to alleviate the burning feeling and settle my stomach.

I'll have to educate myself on this subject. Which foods to avoid etc. This is my first time ever experiencing this sort of a problem.

Flowergirl

Old 06-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

The Probiotics that I take cost $27.77 for a two month supply. I take it on a daily basis.

Closed Thread