It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #1
(female)

karen07 HB User
Unhappy Tight chest - breathing problems

Hello - I am new to the board. I have had heartburn/indegestion for 7 years but it would come and go and mainly gaviscon would keep it under control it was annoying but livable.

In February - I had a bout of heartburn but it did not go - it started to get worse - The pain in my chest was like if somebody was standing on it and I have the feeling of trapped wind constantly in my chest which makes me burp all I mean ALL the time -when I burp the air comes out but is straight away replaced with more air - I can feel it in my chest filling up the space.
Sometimes the pain is also a burning pain.

I used to do Areobics 3 times a week but recently noticed that if I did the classses my chest would be worse the next day so have stopped this - i HAVE also stoped eating Chocoltate and tomotes and only drink water.

I have this pain all day - it is worse in the mornings and at night - if I eat a small snack the wind pain is not so bad but still have the pressure pain.

My life is not enjoyable at the moment - I have been to the docorts so many times and was given ozmerpole (sorry I know i HAVE spelt it incorrectly) FOR 1 MONTH this help the burning pain but not the wind/pressure pain. I do have the occasional day or 2 without pain only to return - I cannot see why it happens - I went to the doctors the other week and demanded that i SEE a consultant and I have an appointment in July 07.

My mom always suffered from heartburn and had hietus hernia so did her mom and brothers. so think I might.

I had hyperemis gravidum when I have been pregnant each time (this is excessive sickness - I was sick upto 50times a day and lost 2 stone in the first 8 weeks and with the last 2 (unfortunatley lost babies) I coughed up blood and sufferd with heartburn badly.

Since the last 2 preg my heartburn got worse but now it's got hold of me and I am not the person i WAS - and it's getting me down.

Does anybody else have trapped wind feeling in chest under left breast. - I also suffer from IBS.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
Re: Tight chest - breathing problems

Hi Karen..I feel your pain...really! The trapped wind and burping are the worst. I can burp louder than any man in a bar , and I am a woman. Anyway, have you had a good cardiac workup? I would ask for that just to ease your mind...truthfully if you are like me it is just really bad GERD. I had a complete cardiac workup last March and the doctors said it was not my heart.
I also have the worse time first thing in the morning and then again in the evening. I have some good days, but lately there have been more bad. I just went off of the prevacid that the doctor prescribed because it made my pain worse. The only drug that really has worked for me is Zantac (rantinadine) so I am going to call and see if I can get back on that.
Gaviscon is helpful, but I get worried if I drink too much. I was going to try DGL licorice before meals, that is sometimes helpful, so I am going to try it on a regular basis to see.
It causes me alot of anxiety(anxiety is really bad for us, it makes the GERD worse), I have 2 children and it really isn't fair to them but I am not sure what to do. I am not the same person that I was before this started, and it really makes me sad and mad!!
I don't think the doctors really know what to do with us. I also believe that I have a hiatal hernia, but my doctor said that the treatment for that is the same.....Lose Weight, watch diet, elliminate trigger foods...blah blah blah
I have stopped eating chocolate, tomatoes, peppermint, watermelon, I no longer drink any soda at all, no coffee, no caffiene at all...
Anyway...I heard about some new books on another thread yesterday and I am going to check them out,,I am willling to try anything!
Keep reading on this board, there are lots of great people with great ideas. It makes you feel better to know that you are not alone!
Take Care, you are in good company!!
Crazy

Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
(female)

llerzoe HB User

I have a similar issue. I have both the reflux (which seems to come and go) and a strange sensation when I breathe. Sometimes it feels like air is trapped in wierd places and sometimes it feels like when I swallow, a muscle in my back tenses up. Really odd. I attribute the odd chest sensations to my hiatal hernia. But I also in the back of my mind wonder if in bad reflux the esophagus can get inflamed and effect stuff around it. Just my musings, nothing scientific here. Take care.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

Thank you for that tip... i have bad throat tightness and breathing problems from LPR and I notice when i drink chamomile iwth honey my throat feels a little less irritated.... I especially notice it when I lick the honey off the spoon. It really is soothing to the throat!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

That is a great tip, indeed. I'd never think of using honey alone. Tastes better than some of the liquid potions from the pharmacy, too.
The chamomile or ginger tea with honey is also great for nausea. I had a lot of that and this was recommended by a poster on another board. It works.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
(female)

karen07 HB User

Thank you for your replies - I really appreciated it. I asked my doctor if it was my heart but she said that I would be showing other signs and said that it is nothing to do with my heart - but she did not even listen to my chest. My dad had heart problems so am concerned the docotr knows this but said their was no need to send me for any investigation re: heart. I had to make her send me to a consultant re: heartburn - mainly because work are getting fed up with me having time off work and burping all the time.

But thank you for your help - I will keep looking on the board for any info.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
(male)

Alex24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen07 View Post
Thank you for your replies - I really appreciated it. I asked my doctor if it was my heart but she said that I would be showing other signs and said that it is nothing to do with my heart - but she did not even listen to my chest. My dad had heart problems so am concerned the docotr knows this but said their was no need to send me for any investigation re: heart. I had to make her send me to a consultant re: heartburn - mainly because work are getting fed up with me having time off work and burping all the time.

But thank you for your help - I will keep looking on the board for any info.

Thanks
Hi Karen...is your breathing problems - shortness of breath - I seem to have it all the time, especially at night. All other tests (heart, lungs, PFT, CT scans) all OK. On Aciphex 20 mg. Problems not as bad as when it first started, but it is always there from time to time day and evening. I sometimes wonder if it is not also caused by anxiety. What else are you doing for your breathing problem. Thanks

Old 06-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

Hi everone,
I have had the breathing problem for 1 year now and chest tightning. It is from the minute i open my eyes to the minute i close them. I am only 34 years old women and have a family that is hard to take care of this way. I have been on every reflux med there is and nothing works even 2x per day. This has destryod my life. I have been to every gastro i think in new york and they all don;t no wehat to do. My pulmonary function tests and heart tests all came back normal. Any ideas???

Old 06-30-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Chalupa, and all...

I too have pretty bad acid reflux...for 4 years now, though now it's under control...most of the time. (Prilosec 2 x daily) I have been through all of the same crap and worries you all have too....the tight chest, shortness of breath, quit all acid foods including coffee, and all the heart and lungs tests, which were fine. I'm not saying it's everyone here, but I think it's pretty obvious that most of us suffer [to some extent anyway] from anxiety...mine was pretty bad. The shortness of breath would makes it 100 times worse.

I finally went to my Dr. and insisted on some anti anxiety med, [Klonopin...which they don't like to give to anyone!], but it has helped like a miracle. I usually take .1 mg every morning, [on empty stomach, it works better, if I have eaten, I can feel no effect from it.

It just seems to me that when ever I get on any of these reflux boards, that it seems almost everyone that suffers w/ AR also has bad anxiety. One of my friends thinks that anxiety causes it, [AR], as she had it for many, many years until her bipolar disorder was diagnosed and she was then put on all of these psycho tropic meds, and her digestive problems went away. (She had GERD for years) I have had problems with anxiety all of my life. It sucks and I wish I didn't have it....but at least my SOB went away. I'm soon going to take a "Mindfullness, Meditation" class to learn how to calm myself, as I don't want to stay on these drugs forever. I do have quite a few relaxation CD's and should try them out, every afternoon. Goot try everything, right?

Good luck, all..
Deda

Old 07-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Hello, all. I've been lurking a while but only just now posting. I can REALLY relate to the breathing problems and constant belching.

I'm late 40s, female, need to lose a lot of weight. I've been on Nexium for about 5 years but recently did a 6-week course of antibiotics (amoxycillin) for chronic sinus infection. My sinuses are cleared up but I'm too uncomfortable to enjoy it. I have a sensation like my lungs are bumping up against something and won't fully inflate. I have to sort of contort and yawn big to get a satisfying breath, and even then I can't "catch" it every time. It doesn't hurt exactly, it's just terribly frustrating and distracting. I haven't been able to get much work done and have been really unproductive the last two months. I completed the antibiotics two weeks ago but still not back to normal. I can't even remember what normal feels like.

I just stocked up on Activia and started taking acidophilus yesterday. I guess it takes a little while to kick in.

Anyone else have a similar experience with antibiotics exacerbating the problem? I've got an appointment with an ENT this week, but I'm beginning to think maybe I should call my primary and ask her to refer me to a gastroenterologist.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

Hi everyone about the meds to relax you i was on them for 3 month (zanzax) and didn't see any difference. I no the breathing problem is not stress. I am not sure at this point what it is. I have also lost in the past year 90 pounds much needed to loose bu the problems are still hear stonger than ever. I have a small haital hernia could this be causing all these problems even though all the gastro don;t think so. I am very confused am only 34 years old and want my regular life back. I want to enjoy my 5 year old and not feel bad all day long like i can;t breath anf my chest and throat hurt so bad. I always now feel like i am going to hit the floor with the pressure i get in my head from the breathing/.
ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey Chalupa...bless your heart, girl. It sounds like what you've been going through is awful. And losing 90 lbs doesn't sound like something your Dr's should take lightly. Are they not concerned about the weight loss? Were you trying to lose weight, or needing to? The sedative that I take (Klonopin) also is known to relax muscles too...not all sedatives do this. Your problem may not be caused by stress/anxiety, but I do think the breathing problem causes us to have anxiety...that's a well known fact. I'm curious if they have done PFT's (Pulmonary Function Tests) on you, Chulupa? And I'm sure they have done chest x-rays too? I hope so....

I have seen people on this board that have said they had serious trouble with their breathing until they got their Acid Reflux under control. One gal said that she could hardly breath for 7 years, until she started taking PPI's 2 x a day. (I also have to take Prilosec twice daily) Are you taking any medicine for your acid reflux...hopefully a PPI drug, as they are the strongest for treating AR?

Please give us a little more information...and to the poster before you, I [or someone else] will reply to you later...I would now but I really need to get to bed...only slept a few hours and have a lot to do today. We can all talk soon...good luck to both of you girls, and everyone else who suffers with this darn awfu acid reflux. It is a nightmare, I know, but it can get better.

Oh...I remember now, the girl before your post Chalupa, said it felt like her lungs were hitting something that was stopping her from breathing well?? Tthat's EXACTLY how my breathing problem felt....just like that! It was under the breastbone area, [upper abdomen] where it felt tight, and like something there was stopping my lungs from allowing them to become fully expanded. I was like that every waking moment, and at times I felt like I was truly dying ....of something. It messed up, [totally] a good 2.5 years of my life]. Right now it is pretty much under control, but once in a while I will get a little bit of a burning sensation in my esophogus.....but nothing like the extreme pain I had before....I would describe it only as minor discomfort now. You will get there someday too, ...if you don't give up. Fimd another gastro doc if you have to, or keep trying different meds. But you do have to calm down for this to improve....for real...I learned this after a long time,....I had to relax everything,...,.my muscles especially. And to answer your question...yes, I think that the hialtal hernia can cause more problems,...breathing....pain, etc.....I've seen so many ppl say so on this board.... too many to be wrong, or imagining it.

Hang in there, and I'll catch up with you later.

Love,
Deda

Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

HI,
Yes i am on ppi's 2x per day now i am taking prilosen otc. I have been on every other ppi there is on the market in the last year. I have had 4 pulmaonary function tests and all normal, 2 chest x-rays normal. I tryed klonopin for a coukpe of days and i didn;t like the way i felt on it. I have been to 6 different gastro docters and they all say lets try this and then when it soesn;t work they tell me well i am not sure. I try to relax about this whole thing but it is very hard when you have a family to take care of and you can;t or that i can;t work because of this. I wish there was one docter that could just fix this and tell me definetly what it is. Yesturday i went to a flee market in new jersey with my family and i keeped feeling that i was going down and alot of pressure in my head. I have been getting that alot lately. I could be sitting down typing in the computer and my head feels alot of pressure. I also have been getting on and off sharp pain behnd my left eye. I am not sure at this point if any of this has to do with each other. I have a thyroid condition and high blood pressure wich are both checked all the time and are under control. I HAD my heart checked with all the tests a year ago when this all started they said everything is fine, I don;t no where to go next.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hey Chulupa....

I'm still awake. Now what you said here helps to explain more to me. I too have hypothyroid/autoimmiune type, (Hashimoto's) When my levels were off, even slightly, I felt thee worst...I mean even my acid reflux was a 10 on a scale of 1-10.... Some ppl say that once their levels became optimal, they can get off the meds, [for AR] and feel fine]. I wasn't so lucky. I have tried to get off of them, and the pain returns, with a vengence too.

About your levels, do you know what they are? Sometimes, [often] our Dr's will tell us that our levels are "perfect", when really they are not. They really just don't know better. I have a pretty good endocrinologist, but she doesn't know everything, I HONESTLY know more than she does about this thyroid disease, because I have researched it inside and out. (I have at least 9 thyroid books, and lived on this computer for at least 2.5 yeaars researching it extensively, as I was just so desparate). She would tell me my levels were "perfect", and I finally started telling her that "well, they may *look* perfect, but I don't feel 'perfect', in fact I feel far from it".....even when my TSH was 1.8. So I'd ask her for an increase, (I was taking only Levothroid then), and she would give it to me. ..."So long as you don't go below the range, 0.2"....okay, fine, I'd tell her. In time I asked her to let me try some Cytomel, [T-3], and that helped me tremendously. I don't think I would be well today without it...I know I wouldn't. That is what helped me become truly well again.

About that pressure on your head, Chalupa, I have had that same symptom, and the [truly awful] severe pain, [but it only lasted a few seconds] behind, [also] my left eye....weird huh? But that was when my levels were still not optimal....so it does make me wonder what your levels really are, hon?

As far as your having all of those PFT's done, and chest x-rays too, that is wonderful news that everything checked out well, a-okay! GREAT!! And your heart tests....I've had all the same done as you too. Also, I really sympathize with you, as I know....it's impossible to work and function with all of that horrible chest pain, and burning, bad breathing, etc. I was luckier than you though, my kids were grown, and even though I hated not working any longer, I can stay home and we live comfortably. I'm grateful for that, but so sorry for you. It's not fair, I know.

I am also wondering....I'm almost sure you've had an endoscopy done already? Have they done any other gastro tests...IE; abdominal ultrasounds, check your gallbladder, everything else....there are so many tests they can do on your digestive system....to make sure that it's not acid reflux, and may be something else?? What happens if you don't take your Prilosec....does the pain become worse?

Please don't worry about the head pressure too much...I swear to you I had the same thing...and I was very worried at first too, and that painful fleeting pain behind my left eye...like in the socket...I about jumped outta my chair whenever it did happen. It for the most part did go away, but do you know that every now and then, it happens again? [not often though]

I take Prilosec OTC also. They give me generic Prilosec at my clinic, but it doesn't seem to do the job at all. Prilosec worked better for me than Protonix. Did you say that you've tried ALL of the PPI's? How bout your diet? Have you cut out coffee, tea's, etc....acidic foods, sodas?

Please if you can...what are your thyroid levels? I'm very curious?

Bless you girl...
Deda

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Deda, thanks so much for your reply. It gives me some measure of peace to hear that someone with my symptoms has found relief.

Closed Thread