It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

usd2bhlthy HB User
Erosive Esophagitis and Gastritis

This is obviously the place to be! I've been reading your posts for a week now and have learned a lot. I was recently diagnosed (through EGD and esophageal monometry) with erosive esophagitis and gastritis. The follow-up with the GI guy afterwards was absolutely useless. Now I've taken matters in to my own hands but am awaiting another appt. with another GI guy. I was diagnosed with GERD about 10 years ago but never really had any unmanageable symptoms until now (Feb. to be exact). I primarily suffer from pain/pressure in my chest that is very bad all day but extremely bad at night. I have changed my diet completely and am learning what my triggers are. I've haven't slept through the night in two weeks now, and have lost 15pounds in about four months. I've always been thin so that's not a good thing. H2 blockers seem to make it all worse and I've tried all PPIs to no avail except ... since two days ago I've been doubling my dosage of Nexium to 80 mg taken all at once, around noon. Several folks in the forum apparently take this much so I thought I'd give it a try. It seems to be working somewhat. Carafate, Tums, and DGL sometimes help with the pain and pressure but not consistently. Raising the bed helps a little, as well.
My biggest concern at this point lies with taking a prescription medication forever. It all feels very hopeless. Do people really heal? And ~ what does one have to do to get a doctor to look at the cause of these diseases? I have many questions, but thought I'd start with these. Thanks for listening. This really is an informative and supportive place!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
(male)

vw4motion HB User
Re: Erosive Esophagitis and Gastritis

Similar case here. Main problem started 8 mths ago and is still here today: chest pain/discomfort that gets worse at night time, but is almost always present udring the day as well, but not as bad as in the evening hours. Just to le tyou know that you are not alone. Back in Jan, EGD showed an inflammed esophagus, small hiatal hernia and mild gastritis. Barium swallow showed acid reflux too. So, decs are telling me it is GERD, but nothing seems to be helping. During the course of tests, I found out I have gallstones and HIDA scan showed underfunctioning gallbladder, so did laproscopic gallbladder removal 3 weeks ago, but don't see major improvements. I am on PPIs twice a day (Prevacid), have lost probably 10 pounds in last 4-5 months, and have sleeping difficulties (using low dosage of Trazodone to help me with sleep). DR introduced Reglan which I thought helped somewhat with chest pain, but this medicine intriduced something I have not experienced before - crashing chest pressure.

Not sure where to go from here, but hopefully there is a light at the end of this maze/tunnel.

Closed Thread