It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
(female)

mianderin HB User
Medication or surgery?

I was diagnosed with GERD 5 years ago after gastroscopy showed oesophagitis, gastritis and a small hiatus hernia. I was commenced on PPI (Omeprazole 20mgs od) I modified my diet and lifestyle and managed to reduce it to 10mgs a day, also going for long periods without medication, only taking it for a while when symptoms returned.

In late 2005 I had to have chemotherapy and symptoms returned worse than ever and I was put on 40mgs a day for a month, that seemed to settle it down for a while but it steadily got worse and was recently put on 40mgs a day regularly due to heartburn, chest pain and vomiting over which I had no control, I have also had to take antacids as well

I have had a repeat gastroscopy today which showed oesophageal ulceration despite the 40 mgs of Omeprazole and was told to consider surgery otherwise I would have to continue on high doses of PPI (which are not completely solving the problem the problem on their own anyway, I stil have to take regular Gaviscon Advance as well)

I do not relish the idea of surgery but also am not keen on long term high doses of medication. Who knows what the long term effects of this could be

I do not know anyone who has had surgery for this problem, so am not fully aware of the pros and cons of this treatment versus long term medication

I hope you can offer some advice on this, I do not expect anyone to advise me on what to do, as I know this has got to be my decision but a little bit more information would help me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
(female)

jpeder04 HB User
Re: Medication or surgery?

I suppose each case is different for different people, but I wanted to share this with you. I had a co-worker who had GERD and he was on Nexium for several years and each year he had to up his dosage until his doctor suggested he look into surgery. He had the surgery two years ago and has not had to watch his diet or take any medication ever since. Obviously he was quite please with the results.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
(male)

lightitup81 HB User

Surgery may not be a bad option for you but mark my words:::::: Get a doctor that has atleast performed 200 of these surgeries. The success of surgery is directly proportional to how many surgeries the doctor has done. DO NOT try to be cheap about your surgery.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
(female)

mianderin HB User

Thank you both for your replies, I guess I am going to have to find out as much as I can about this surgery and have a good think about it

Closed Thread