It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
(male)

MichaelWayne63 HB User
Thank you for esophageal spasm support

Finally joined in after reading everyone's posts for some time. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with spasms after suffering from GERD most of my adult life. It is truly a comfort knowing others have experienced what I have considered a nightmare for so long. For the most part my spasms remain uncontrolled with little or no warning. Chest pain is a daily occurrence but I have adjusted to this. Spasms are overwhelming at times and anxiety is a constant companion. I currently take 40 mg Nexium and Librax 3 times daily. Librax is new to me after 2 years of Hyoscyamine. Has any one else taken Librax with or without success? Thanks again for all your support.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Re: Thank you for esophageal spasm support

HI
I also have esophageal spasms. I don't take Librax I take Klonopin to help relax it but I am wondering if hte LIbrax works for you?
Mine are mainly in by esophagus by my larynx but i recently started getting htem in my chest as well, it's a horrible feeling like you are having a heart attack!
I also take aciphex. I have not had relief from anything as of yet, but I am going to see my 4th GI in a few days! haha I'm insane from all this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
(male)

MichaelWayne63 HB User

Hi Alex
Good to finally correspond with someone who knows what I am experiencing. My spasms have usually been in and around the sternum area but occasionally one will occur in the larynx region. So far the Librax has at least succeeded in calming me down some especially during acute episodes. Going for barium swallow tomorrow to see if anything else might be going on. I have a good GI who understands and I undergo upper GI every year to check for erosive issues. Librax does make me tired but if it works I will gladly deal with it. Esophagus runs very close to the heart (as I have found out) so some spasms are extremely upsetting. Good luck with your new GI.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

Hi Mike and Alex. I suffered my first esoph spasm on June 8, 1990. I bet you both vividly remember your first "attack" too! LOL

That first attack landed me in the ER thinking at the age of 36 I was having a massive heart attack, even though I had never smoked or been over weight in my life and was extremely athletic and fitness oriented.

I have been scoped 3 times over the last 17 years. Totally healthy pink stomach lining and esoph lining. My problem is exquistely hypersensitive nerve endings in the lining of my esoph. When some acid splashed against the lining....the spasm happens. I quickly learned to avoid the antagonistic foods, stopped bending at the waist....or as my GI put it....do nothing that makes your eyeballs bulge!

I was prescribed Xanax .5mg 17 years ago. And it works beautifully to stop a spasm in it's tracks within minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vickie306 For This Useful Post:
Shalen (07-18-2011)
Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

Hi Everyone, thanks for the feedback. I have been taking the Klonopin when I have an attack and that seems to help, I just wish I could avoid them all together! I take Aciphex 2x's a day. I also have the symptom of s hortness of breath and was told that is from esophagitis.
I had a terrible spasm the other day and totally felt like I was having a heart attack except it was on the wrong side of the chest! haha Thank God or I would have been in the ER like a mad woman! I popped a Klonopin and it seemed to come it down a bit.
I'm gong to my 4th GI today... I am always hoping one of them knows more then the other...no such luck so far!

Alex

The following user gives a hug of support to alex12:
Shalen (07-18-2011)
Old 06-21-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
(female)

suzyq1225 HB User
Smile Re: Thank you for esophageal spasm support

Hello, I am brand new to this board and would like to share what's going on with me with all of you. Woke up saturday with heartburn that was unreal, relentless, nothing worked. Tried zantac, multiple antacids, zero relief. Had to cancel weekend plans as this awful thing lasted thru sunday. On monday, heartburn was gone but i had discomfort and pain right behind my sternum and just a feeling being sick. Appetite zero. This got worse on tuesday and finally on wed. i went to my internist. he said i had a bad session with GERD and now my esophogus is inflammed and in spasm. He said, stop zantac and prescribed nexium (2 pills a day for one week, then 1 pill a day for 30 days). what happened after i took the first pill was truly a miracle; within one hour all that discomfort disappeared. Totally. I was actually able to eat last night, kept food bland, but no problems whatsoever. For me, Nexium is a true help with this problem

susan

Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
(male)

MichaelWayne63 HB User
Esophageal Spasms

Hi Susan
Glad you found some relief with Nexium. My bout with spasms began about four years ago with my GP prescribing Nexium. I will say it helped me for months. I would have an attack (probably from trigger foods or stress) and if I doubled up on the dose at that time it would usually go away within hours if not the next day. I began to get the spasms more and more frequently and I noticed my chest pain was worse. I was referred to my current GI and he performed an upper GI and diagnosed spasms. He was honest and said although he could not tell if a spasm at that time was evident he ruled out everything else. He suggested I get a cardiac consult. Heart and arteries were fine. Nexium at 40mg a day continued. Last October I had a really bad event that left me in intense chest pain, difficulty breathing, and flat out panic. My heart rate was 160 and no amount of Nexium was going to help at that point. Needless to say I wound up in the ER and was told the jumping sensation in my chest was my esophagus. Pure oxygen and anti-anxiety drugs calmed me down but I was embarrassed and then mad that this condition was ruining my quality of life. I decided on a diet change for good. Things went from bad to worse with the spasms. I apologize, I have to go for now but I will finish tomorrow. Good luck. Michael

Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
(male)

MichaelWayne63 HB User
Nexium and esophageal spasms

Hi all,
Sorry I had to go last night. I continued taking Nexium after my ER scare and changed my diet to exclude basic GERD no-no foods. Gradually and then eventually daily my spasms increased. I had never known chest pain such as this. My GI was convinced keeping the reflux controlled was key and to take Nexium daily and as needed. I continued 40mg daily and only took extra if the spasms were out of control. I just did not like the idea of suppressing digestive action that had been just fine for over 30 years. Eventually the spasms became worse and started in areas that in my mind had no connection to my esophagus. Most were centered in and around the heart area with some higher and some lower. I also began having them under my left armpit and laterally down my left side. Needless to say I was bordering on panic mode. It gets scary at night when your in bed feeling spasms jerking and shimmering all around your heart. I had been constipated on and off (unusual for me) since being on Nexium but at this time I was beginning to notice longer and longer periods of time between BM's and virtually nonexistent bowel sounds. Difficulty belching and little flatulence as well. Went back to GI and very long story short he theorizes (ha) Nexium may be root of my problems. I am currently on Librax 3X daily, 500 mg magnesium, high fiber diet, and probiotics. I have not felt better in years. Will undergo colonoscopy next week to r/o any underlying reason for constipation but my GI is thrilled and obviously so am I. Thank you all again for listening and being there for me for so long even though I was not a member. Michael

Closed Thread