It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

ncyky HB User
Red face Piece of Candy Stuck in my Chest

My gastroenterologists told me about 5 years ago that I has some acid reflux symptoms and that my hiatia hernia wasn't there anymore after being diagnosed with that many many years ago. I had no idea that Hiatia Hernia cures itself.

Anyway, once and a while while sleeping I will be awaken to a feeling as if a piece of candy is stuck in my chest. It feels like I swalled a huge pill or something like the size of a hard candy and it just got stuck. I don't have any chest pains, but my spinal area between my shoulder blades hurt like crazy. I usually have to drink a large glass of water and take about 3 tums and sit up for 1 hour before it goes away. Well about 9 months ago I went to my gastroenterologists because this was happening more and more. She was 100% positive that I had gallstones...but after 3 extensive tests...gallstones where no where to be found. During that time, she gave me Zantac and I changed my eating habits which almost eliminated this feeling, but I'm starting have it again and I don't know what to do. I did see a Chiropractic Doctor since the pain is between my shoulder blades and I did feel some relief afterwards when adjusted my back. He told me that my spine is slightly crocked where I feel the pain.

I'm just so confused because tums and Zantac relieves this pain also. So could this be acid reflux????? or simply a back problem? Has anyone ever experience this before? No doctor can give me an answer!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
(female)

cjanierun HB User
Re: Piece of Candy Stuck in my Chest

Hi Nicky,

Yes, I have this all the time anymore...I have no idea what it is and I hate the feeling. Some days worse than others..I either have the pain in my back or the large "bread like feeling" stuck in my throat. I should go to the doctor but I am just so sick and tired of all the tests....I will however end up going....just getting ready in my mind to do this. I have acid reflux and have for years, just have to get up the nerve to go and begin the dreaded tests...good luck. You are not alone.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Hi, I have had this feeling in the whole length of my gullett constantly - for the last year. I also have hypersalivation which is frothy and making the corners of my mouth sore. I have had a scope which showed erosion (gastritis?) and ph acid testing (normal)...which amazed me, because I can taste acid! Manometry (test for muscle contraction/motility in gullett)...Normal. Ultrasound of abdomen...Normal. I am now awaiting CT scan of abdomen and gastric emptying test. I don't think the 'expert' has any idea what is wrong with me. Fed up!
(((((((((group hug)))))))))))))

Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
(female)

ncyky HB User

Thanks for the replies ladies. I have had the scope put down my throat as well and it showed that everything was fine. In fact every test I have taken shows that I'm fine with just some acid reflux which they really don't find to be a big deal. I take the Zantac when needed.

This may sound strange, but I noticed some time ago and especially this week that when I eat seafood and strawberries the same week that this stuck feeling occurs and is pretty constant. For the last week, I have been eating tuna like every day and drinking strawberry smoothies and it dawn on me that these 2 things are probably causing this discomfort. So I stopped them both just a couple of days ago and noticed that the discomfort gradually went away. Maybe I'm allergic! Has anyone experience anything like this?

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I have an odd problem. See if any of you know about this:
Several times a week when I eat, I feel as if the food is stuck in my throat--- and I have to go and stick my finger down my throat and throw up the offending piece of food.
A lot of saliva and mucus comes up. this used to happen all the time, now it happens around once or twice a week. I try to eat slowly, but you know how it is...I wonder if I have terrible allergies and the built up drainage causes a clogged area? Or do I have esophageal spasms>

Sometimes, out of the blue, I will get terrible pains in my jaw and middle of my back and along my chest and even in my shoulders. It is very frightening and I have to lay down and relax till it goes away. the pain in my jaw is what really hurts and I have noticed an increase in saliva at this time.

Can anyone tell me why I am choking?
I used to drink Apple cider vinegar twice a day and it seemed that my symptoms were almost gone.
but I truly don't like the taste of the ACV...what should I do>?

Closed Thread