It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

flyte00 HB User
Gastric reflux + diarrhea

Hi all, my names Sarah and I'm new.. Wasn't sure if I should place this in the acid section or the digestive problems section, since it pertains to both.. so I placed it in both
Just trying to find some help because the doctor's haven't been able to do much for me. A little background, about a year ago I had an ileostomy and j-pouch surgery to get rid of my colitis. So basically, I had my entire large intestine removed and had an ostomy bag for several months. I had the bag removed, thank god, and all of that is working pretty well for me. Unfortunately, about the time my intestines started learning how to function again, my acid reflux got WAY worse.
I'd had a stomach ulcer years ago when I was about 22. I'm 27 now. Nexium and similar medicines had always worked well for me at the normal small dose. I would take them on and off, as prescribed by my gastro doctor.
All of a sudden I just couldn't stop vomiting. It didn't really feel like any sort of acid problem to me and the doctors didn't seem very concerned. Finally, when my ..ahem.. butt was so sore that I couldn't sit down and had I lost nearly 20 lbs the doctors decided to really look into it.
They did an endoscopy and colonoscopy and found that I had an ulcer in my J-Pouch. (a pouch they made out of small intestine to replace my large one) they put me back on the nexium and antibiotics which fixed the ulcer. I was ok for a little while but then the acid started getting bad again. I was eventually having to take the nexium 3 times a day. When that stopped working we tried Prilosec 3 times a day, then Protonix, then protonix and Zantac, then Protonix & Zantac 3 times a day, and Carafate liquid 4 times a day. I stopped the Carafate about 2 days after starting it because I started getting a lot of pain in my belly, mostly when i ate, and I was vomiting almost everything up. I'm still having some pain but the vomiting has stopped. My throat is killing me and gets so dry I choke on food/pills and now, like it always does, the diarrhea has started. (I always have loose stools because I don't have a large intestine but it gets absolutely horrible when I have bad acid)
I can't do anything. I've stopped eating chocolate, caffeine, citrus & spicy foods. I should probably be avoiding dairy as well. I was a vegetarian for about 14 years but I am slowly bringing myself around to eating meat again because I think, with my health so poor, I need all the help I can get.
The doctor wants me to have another Upper Gastrointestinal Series (UGI) xray series done (one of those tests where you drink the charcoal and they watch how it moves) to make sure my esophagus is ok. She also mentioned some sort of device that could be attached to my nose and then hung down into my stomach to detect acid levels at different times... if I still don't get better. That sounds almost as pleasant as having the ostomy bag. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I get 1- 2 weeks of decent health and then something like this happens and I'm so miserable I just want to give up. Any suggestions or just any reply would be great, lol. little depressed here.

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Gastric reflux + diarrhea

Sarah, Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you've been put thru it all and at such a young age. Hang in there it's bound to get better. Did they give you any special eating instructions after your sugical procedures? I really don't know what to tell you because I'm not very familiar with the effect the procedures have on your digestive systems ability to properly digest food. I would think it would be somewhat limited but I really don't know. My understanding is that the two foods that are the most difficult to digest are grains and dairy. There is a diet called the Specific Carb Diet that was developed for persons with severe digestive problems. A lot of information is available on the web about this diet. You might also want to do some research on enzyems and probiotics. I would think you digestive track could use all the help it could get.

Considering what you've already been thru I wouldn't think you would have any problem with the test your doc want you to take. And you've come to the right place if you have any questions, concerns or need some extra support for the tests. Many of the forum members have been thru these test and I sure they can help you through them.

Sorry I could be of more help. Wish you the best of luck, Red

Closed Thread