It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User
Unhappy Antibiotics, belching, shortness of breath, bloat, what fun! Can we commiserate?

Hello, all. I posted this in another thread where it got buried, so thought I'd start my own thread. I can REALLY relate to the breathing problems and constant belching.

I'm late 40s, female, need to lose a lot of weight. I've been on Nexium for about 5 years but recently did a 6-week course of antibiotics (amoxycillin) for chronic sinus infection. My sinuses are cleared up but I'm too uncomfortable to enjoy it. I have a sensation like my lungs are bumping up against something and won't fully inflate. I have to sort of contort and yawn big to get a satisfying breath, and even then I can't "catch" it every time. It doesn't hurt exactly, it's just terribly frustrating and distracting. I have soreness in my sides and back from the effort to breathe. I haven't been able to get much work done and have been really unproductive the last two months. When you can't breathe, you really can't think about much else!

I completed the antibiotics two weeks ago but still not back to normal. I can't even remember what normal feels like.

I just stocked up on Activia and started taking acidophilus Saturday. I guess it takes a little while to kick in.

Anyone else have a similar experience with antibiotics setting things off? And did you eventually get better? Did probiotics work? Please share your experiences.

I've got an appointment with an ENT this week, but I'm beginning to think maybe I should call my primary and ask her to refer me to a gastroenterologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

ouwish2beme HB User
Re: Antibiotics, belching, shortness of breath, bloat, what fun! Can we commiserate?

Hi,

I'm new here, too, and i have had the same problems. I was surprised when someone said that Prevacid made their chest pains worse because that's what i'm on! Only because my insurance covers it. I have had your symptoms and it seems a lot of people are suffering from this which i guess, in some ways is comforting because you feel that you're not alone. I'm a lot older than you but we still all want to feel as well as we can, regardless of our age. My breathing just feels "off" so i can understand what you're saying. I had the tests, a lot of them and all turned out negative. The only bad thing is my diet. I know that chocolate aggravates acid reflux and so does coffee and those two things are so hard for me to give up. But, i take my medicine and try to eat something healthy each day and walk. But, i've noticed that a lot of other people have said what i have found; when you're busy doing something you love or you're distracted in some way, you don't even notice the symptoms. So, is it anxiety or what? That's what i'm struggling with every day. I know i have acid reflux but is my anxiety bringing on the shortness of breath, etc. So, even though i can't answer your questions and concerns, i can certainly commisserate!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User
Re: Antibiotics, belching, shortness of breath, bloat, what fun! Can we commiserate?

Oh, my, I'd forgotten about this post! Thanks so much for replying. Here it is a month later and I have had some improvement, though still not completely normal. I had an appointment this week with the ENT doctor who referred me to a gastroenterologist. The ENT doctor said the not-being-able-to-breathe symptoms sound like a hiatal hernia. I've lost about 12 pounds just from not being able to eat very much at one sitting, so that's good, and my breathing has improved, though I'm still very aware of it. Still lots of belching and some heartburn though. My appt. with the gastro guy isn't until the 14th so I'll let y'all know what, if anything, comes of it. Hope things get better for you, too.

Yeah, chocolate and coffee, I love 'em both. I've refrained from chocolate but still have a cup of coffee in the morning. Not quite desperate enough to give it up!

It's great to have y'all to commiserate with. My husband's been real sweet -- he's had his own cross to bear with recent spinal surgery -- but I can tell he's getting tired of all the belching. It's not very sexy when he cuddles up next to me and the next thing you know, I let loose with a big BRAAAAP.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
(female)

lilydilly HB User

Hello Texas Tomato. I'm a bit late replying, but I only just found this site, and I'm feeling.......not sure of the word, excited isn't right.. maybe reassured and comforted......to read of so many others with my symptoms.
I'm replying because you made me laugh (first time in weeks it seems) with your burp problem, because only last night, the same thing happened to me, and I said to my husband, "I know this can't be a turn-on, but you'll just have to put up with me. I'm not going to hold it in".
My pattern this time with reflux was so similar to yours.
It came on suddenly during breakfast one morning, and then I got a sinus infection from a cold virus and went on antibiotics. I thought I was getting better with the gerd, once I stopped coughing etc. But it has hung on for a couple of months now. And the shortness of breath is the most distressing. Just how you described it.
The antibiotics didn't trigger mine.... the only thing I can think of is that I have been careless with my eating for months... I have felt so well, that I was blithely scoffing down chille dishes, chocolate, coffee, pineapple..and I thought I was getting away with it all, because I had no problems whatever for the first time in years. THen I decided to start eating healthier to keep my weight steady, and was half way through a banana smoothie, when it hit me like a freight train. I thought I was having a major heart attack this time.

I only got the virus after this, and I'm thinking now that all the throat lozenges and the one lot of antibiotics, might have just aggravated the gerd to turn it into a more chronic bout this time round.
Anyway, I have to stop talking about it all so much, but it is amazing to me to find that other people have been having all these same scary symptoms, and I didn't know this site was here Regards Lily

Old 08-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
(female)

michlisa HB User

hi all,
I have been visiting this site for the last couple of weeks and it has given me alot of reassurance. I had to post on this thread. My lpr symptoms kicked in after finishing my third round of antibiotics for a sinus infection. I am now on my fourth (21 day course of cipro) and my symptoms are so much worse. I think the sinus infection is gone (although I still have alot of PND) but my throat is sore (top and bottom if that makes sense), my ears burn, pain in my back, bad taste and burning sensation in my mouth and throat. I swear the antibiotic is making it worse. I am so glad you posted.
ML

Old 08-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User

Hi, michlisa! Glad you found us. It is helpful to know that you're not alone, at least. Especially when you have a really, really bad night as I did last night.

Well, the belching has abated somewhat although I still have bad episodes of it intermittently. The shortness of breath is worse than ever, and nothing relieves the bloating, not even GasX! And now I have bad stomach pains at night a couple hours after dinner. From what I've [internet searched], it seems that's a symptom of ulcer, although my blood test was negative for h. pylori.

This has been going on all summer, ever since the antibiotics. My symptoms also seem to come and go. I'll wake up and feel almost normal, but then by the end of the day, it's really bad. Last week I was feeling pretty good and even postponed my appt. with the gastroenterologist in order to accommodate my husband's work schedule. Now I'm really regretting that. Wish I'd told my husband to just ride the bus. My appt.'s set for the 30th.

Michlisa, have you tried taking probiotics and eating yogurt? With all your antibiotics, you may have a bacterial imbalance because the good bacteria got eradicated right along with the bad bacteria. I think that's at least part of what happened to me.

Last edited by Texas Tomato; 08-19-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: generic word for famous search engine

Old 08-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

tired47 HB User
Smile Re: Antibiotics, belching, shortness of breath, bloat, what fun! Can we commiserate?

Dear fellow burpers,
I have another post but saw this one and feel I can "bond" with you all. I have the belching, upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, and chest pain. I have been diagnosed with H pylori and am doing the 3rd round of antibiotics ( none have rid me of this yet). I had the belching, reflux til I started the antibiotics for H pylori and then it got REALLY bad, chest pain, sob,ect. It has been going on for 8 months..... I am soooooooooooo tired of this. I have been on every proton pump inhibitor and still it goes on and on. They also gave me nitrol for esophageal spasms and it helps but makes me very lightheaded, weak for a while ( this is the same stuff they give heart patients). What I have found works for me is checking all my vitamins, nutrients levels. I am extremely low in Vitamin D and calcium. And I live in Texas, land of sunshine. But they say I have a malasbsorption problems due to the bad bacteria and the antibiotics killing the "good bacteria". I am doing a lot of probotics, yogurt, ect. and I also found magnesium supplement to help relax my esophagus and allow me to belch instead of getting the extreme pain. Please check with your Dr. about the magnesium amount. I would make sure you don't have H pylori ( I pray you don't) because this has been the worst time in my life. I am a strong, active person who travels, volunteers and this has TOTALLY changed my life. I pray every day it will be gone after this last round of treatment ( will know in 3 weeks). Bless you all and good luck with your illness.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
(female)

bonbon55 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlisa View Post
hi all,
I have been visiting this site for the last couple of weeks and it has given me alot of reassurance. I had to post on this thread. My lpr symptoms kicked in after finishing my third round of antibiotics for a sinus infection. I am now on my fourth (21 day course of cipro) and my symptoms are so much worse. I think the sinus infection is gone (although I still have alot of PND) but my throat is sore (top and bottom if that makes sense), my ears burn, pain in my back, bad taste and burning sensation in my mouth and throat. I swear the antibiotic is making it worse. I am so glad you posted.
ML

Old 08-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
(female)

bonbon55 HB User

to michlisa....I don't know how it happened but your post got in under my name.....anyway, I am experiencing the same things as you. for the past week I have had severe burning through my entire stomach area from throat to groin. Belching like crazy. Scared the devil out of me last night as when I went to bed my entire throat just burned terrible but not like a sore throat when you swallow. My ears burn and hurt too. I have been told to stay on a liquid diet.....good way to lose weight........but even water seems to make my chest burn. I too was doing very well and this started Fri night very suddenly. I take Prevacid solu tab which I feel does not work near as well as the capsule. I also keep Levbid on hand for spasms of the bowel and Carafate to coat the stomach and Colestid when my diarrhea gets bad. I also have fibromyalgia. I know how you feel....I get so frustrated. I am really concerned that this is heart related, that is what scares me so bad. Oh, and I just started yesterday with the mouth burning.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

I'm reading this post and thinking to myself, what is up with reflux and belching, anyway? LOL I honestly didn't have reflux until I was under a lot of anxiety back in 2006. I've had the constant belching thing that comes and goes. I do think it gets better as I eat yogurt. I bought myself some more Activia to try. I really do think stress brings it on. I don't have the breathing problem, but I have read on the OCD health board about people being aware of their breathing, so maybe the breathing could be a little bit of anxiety, but I'm no expert on the subject, by all means. I don't have the breathing problem, so I don't know. I do know that coffee/tea don't help the reflux any. Fruit really aggravates it or greasy, fried foods or Mexican food! I had given up regular coffee and drank decaf. for over a year and still had the annoying belching, so why not do the real thing? LOL I think aciphex does eventually help when I'm on it, but who wants to take meds for the rest of their life? I'm trying to also lose weight to help. Okay, now for another thing I've noticed since the onset of reflux - my saliva is either watery or "stringy"/mouth sticky. It's SOOOO annoying. The ENT thought I was just "focused" on the problem when I told him about how my mouth would get watery, but my theory is that the saliva is trying to neutralize the extra acid build-up somehow. He was going to measure output and possibly put me on medication to dry me out, but I didn't pursue it. He did say that I should see a gastro dr., though. He also made the comment that the medication could effect me neurologically, whatever the heck that meant? I'm thinking of some horrible side effects? Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this same symptom and how did you remedy it? On days when it's watery, I try to cut back on my water intake some or will spray some Listerine in my mouth to dry it up. I have also found a natural toothpaste to help some. Who knows, maybe it's a little anxiety or OCD kicking in. I just think stress does strange things to the body, so I'm trying to eat better, exercise, pray and just plain relax!!!!

Closed Thread