It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

kelly77 HB User
Sulphur Smelling Burps

Ever since I have been a small child i will occasionally get these rotten egg sulphur burps. They smelled so bad back then my brother and I started calling them 'fart burps'. So, I am 30 now and work in an Endoscopy suite in a hospital and work with a lot of GI doctors. I still can't get a doctor to tell me whats wrong. I had a upper scope test done in April and found out I have a hiatal hernia and really bad esophagitis and gastritis and 5 years away from Barretts (pre cancerous cells in the esophagus) but no reason on why my belching smells like a rotten egg. I was told to take Maalox. Well, that doesn't help. Then the day after the burps I get diarrhea. Has been this way since I was 5 years old.. One would think I could get an answer since I work with these doctors on a daily basis. I am actually considering the fundolipcation procedure to tie up that hiatal hernia just because you can never burp or vomit again. That would be the only suggestion I have left to myself!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
(female)

healthnut HB User
Re: Sulphur Smelling Burps

That actually happened to me one day 40 years ago, and hasn't happened since. I have no idea what caused it. But you are right, it smells like a really bad sulfer fart come out of your mouth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
(female)

JackieM67 HB User

I've had that too, but only two or three times. I have no idea what causes it, but at least know that some others have experienced it.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
(female)

chigger228 HB User

My husband's family has all suffered from this for years. They refer to it as "yeast bug". They say that they started getting it after a family vacation. I don't know where they got the name. I started getting it a couple of years after we got married, and one of our kids gets it now, too, so it is obviously contagious. I think that the parasite theory sounds the most likely. I wish that I could figure out what sets off the burping spells, but none of us have figured it out yet. I have had it bad now for an entire week (it usually only lasts a day). I tried drinking vinegar like someone else suggested, but it only helped for a few hours, and I thought the treatment was worse than the symptoms.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
I am actually considering the fundolipcation procedure to tie up that hiatal hernia just because you can never burp or vomit again.
This seems like an overkill, if your only problem is the burping. I know someone who's had this procedure done. He will require another surgery as the first one was not done properly. Needless to say, he now deeply regrets having it done.
When camping out this summer with his wife the middle of nowhere spoiled food was consumed by both. His wife got very sick and vomited repeatedly, while he was unable to do so. Fearing complications from food poisoning because he could not vomit, the couple drove 80 miles in the middle of the night to the nearest hospital to have his stomach pumped out. Also, he's had considerable discomfort since the procedure was done. Hopefully, this will be resolved with procedure #2.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
(female)

Eyethere HB User
Red face Re: Sulphur Smelling Burps

I'm here, obviously because I'm experiencing some of what is being discussed.
First, I will try Grapefruit Seed Extract (Nutribiotic) to kill any bacteria as well as parasites. Then, start a regimen of Acidopholus (the good bacteria).
To settle your stomach, try getting some ginger root from the grocery store, grate some in a pot, put some water, make it come to a slow boil, simmer, drink it down. You could add some Stevia (natural sweetner) to it.
I'm hoping my digestive tract is just off a little and will return to normal.
Also, try increasing fiber...drink the stuff out of the can if you have to. As long as it has psyllium husks (main ingredient in fiber drinks).

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread