It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
(male)

selliot HB User
Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy

I just found out about the apple cider vinegar mixed with baking soda remedy. I tried it for the first time today but all it did was make my reflux worse? I got heartburn right after drinking it. Since vinegar is high in acid I wonder how this helps people with acid reflux?

Am I using the correct amount:

>2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
>1/2 teaspoon baking soda
>1/2 cup water

Do you take it before or after eating a meal?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Last edited by selliot; 07-31-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

WhatDoIHave HB User
Re: Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by selliot View Post
I just found out about the apple cider vinegar mixed with baking soda remedy. I tried it for the first time today but all it did was make my reflux worse? I got heartburn right after drinking it. Since vinegar is high in acid I wonder how this helps people with acid reflux?

Am I using the correct amount:

>2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
>1/2 teaspoon baking soda
>1/2 cup water

Do you take it before or after eating a meal?

I would greatly appreciate your help.

1.) Make SURE you have acid reflux first. Alot of doctors will throw that out even if you DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ACID. Any digestive problem or heartburn, you are sure that an HMO doctor will say "acid reflux - try this for 2 weeks and see if it helps". Most of the time it won't or will make it worse.

2.) If you are SURE you have too much acid, (and no other problems) then yes, you are correct vinegar would tend to make your stomach more acidic. Maybe try a baking soda toothpaste and see if that helps any to lower your acidity levels. I have been using the baking soda toothpaste from Trader Joes for about 2 years now and I think I have the opposite problem: not enough acid (which my doctor quickly said was acid reflux also, but it isn't).

3.) I would think that the apple cider vinegar would only help you if your excess acid is being caused by a blockage somewhere and the Vinegar might be able to clear the blockage like Drain-o.

Good luck and let us know what works!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

apple cider vinegar just made my reflux work.. it's at least worth trying but it doesn't work for many people. I'm thinking about trying the baking soda method that someone posted.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
(female)

wenron HB User

weight loss was the only thing that really helped my acid reflux

Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

I tried it this weekend as I went off the Nexium over a week ago. After the first day I noticed the difference. The only thing I did differently is use the organic vineger.

D

Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty27 View Post
weight loss was the only thing that really helped my acid reflux
Betty, how overweight were you when you had acid reflux and how many pounds did u lose when you started to feel better?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
(female)

kingskid HB User

i have taken that but for other things. I take bromelain(natural supplement) and it does the trick.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 AM   #8
(male)

jwh1 HB User

Cider vinegar will be alkaline for those who are able to metabolize its weak acids. If you have an inability to metabolize them, it will be acidic for you. A little cider vinegar is good before meals to stimulate digestion, because of its acidity(which results in an alkaline ash, if properly metabolized).

Baking soda is alkaline, but is high in sodium. Apple cider vinegar is high in potassium. Too much sodium(or not enough potassium) can upset our sodium-potassium ratio( I forget what the ratio is supposed to be) I would think you would probably want more potassium as sodium is in everything.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
(female)

clasact1956 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingskid View Post
i have taken that but for other things. I take bromelain(natural supplement) and it does the trick.
I looked that up and I find it doesn't say anything about acid reflux. How does this help reflux?

D

Closed Thread