It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

ouwish2beme HB User
acid reflux, shortness of breath?

I'm new to the boards and i have already lost the thread i was reading!
Anyway, i am a lot older than many of the people who seemed to have my same problems. Tightness in the chest, shortness of breath, acid reflux.
I do have a heart condition but it is in the electrical system. It's not like blocked arteries, because i, like many of you, have had all the tests. But, the shortness of breath is fairly new. However, i also have severe anxiety and depression, etc. I always think my anxiety is worse than my depression.

Something that struck me was that many of you, including myself, seem to have these symptoms go away when we're doing something enjoyable or distracting. I walk and thought my diet isn't the greatest, i try to eat something healthy every day.

I am taking Prevacid only because that's what my insurance covers but have been told that Protonix is the best for acid reflux. But, i feel that i have this ball in my chest all the time and i woke up with chest pains this morning. So, it is scary and i'm wondering if anyone has any new ideas on how to treat it?

I think all the ideas have been great but i think the biggest thing is believing what the doctors tell you. That's hard when your chest hurts and you can't breathe but you go to the doctor and all the tests turn out negative.

One thing i would like to relay here, in case anyone isn't familiar with it, is the H.Pylora test. Now, i may not be spelling that right but it's a blood test to determine whether you're carrying the bacteria that can cause an ulcer. Even if you don't have an ulcer, it can feel like one and make you miserable. Mine turned out negative but my neighbor had one that turned out positive and he was put on antibiotics for three weeks. The doctor said that once that is cleared up, you will never get it again. Strange but supposedly true.

So, even though i know i'm getting old and none of us will live forever, we want to feel the best we can while we're here.

I would appreciate any and all replies.

Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
Re: acid reflux, shortness of breath?

Hi,so far the prilosec that Im on is working ok it helps with the reflux. I do think these meds take along time to treat all the symptoms. I am waiting on my test results for H phlori and I wouldnt be surprised if it was positive. Well anyways I wish I could offer more and I hope your feeling better soon!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
(male)

noggin7717 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouwish2beme View Post
Something that struck me was that many of you, including myself, seem to have these symptoms go away when we're doing something enjoyable or distracting. I walk and thought my diet isn't the greatest, i try to eat something healthy every day.
I'd like to second your thought. I went on vacation over the 4th of July week and promised myself, screw it! I'm gonna have fun no matter how badly I feel. And I had been feeling really lousy for the previous 6-8 months.

A week of thinking nothing but trying to have fun with the family, swimming, hiking, seeing Graceland and going down the 'ol Mississippi, gobbling up good 'ol Memphis BBQ, etc, etc.... It was the best I had felt in a long, long time. The only thing that changed was I didn't care or worry about anything.

Stress, it harms more than just your thoughts. First day back to work, back to feeling lousy.

-Shawn

Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User

I agree with you, stress aggravates symptoms. I also, would not be surprised if I had the pylori also. I'm scheduled for my 2nd endoscopy Aug 31, so I will see if that brings any different results. I do have Barretts , so I must adhere to a rather strict diet, but I cheap some times. I'm sensitive to everything, even multivitamins .

Closed Thread