It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
(male)

lbb87 HB User
Ear problems

I was diagnosed with GERD in 2000 after complaints of chest pain. Sometime between then and 2001/2002 I began having ear and jaw problems. I would get a dull pain in my ear and jaw area. Sometimes I would get a mild throbbing in one ear and strange sensations in it. I thought this was due to a jaw problem called Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD) which my insurance would not cover.

I'm wondering if maybe I don't actually have TMJD and if maybe the ear and jaw problem is related to GERD. Around 2004 I developed Laryngopharyngeal Reflux disease (LPR) which I suppose I could've had in 2000.

Does anyone know if GERD and/or LPR can cause ear problems that are similar to TMJD?

If you've had ear problems from acid reflux, I'd really like to hear about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to lbb87 For This Useful Post:
raggie1637 (05-19-2012)
Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
(female)

Kellir HB User
Re: Ear problems

GERD can cause ear and jaw pain. I have it ocassionally.
Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
(female)

cl84 HB User
Re: Ear problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbb87 View Post
I was diagnosed with GERD in 2000 after complaints of chest pain. Sometime between then and 2001/2002 I began having ear and jaw problems. I would get a dull pain in my ear and jaw area. Sometimes I would get a mild throbbing in one ear and strange sensations in it. I thought this was due to a jaw problem called Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD) which my insurance would not cover.

I'm wondering if maybe I don't actually have TMJD and if maybe the ear and jaw problem is related to GERD. Around 2004 I developed Laryngopharyngeal Reflux disease (LPR) which I suppose I could've had in 2000.

Does anyone know if GERD and/or LPR can cause ear problems that are similar to TMJD?

If you've had ear problems from acid reflux, I'd really like to hear about it.

I have been having ear pain, especially in my left, for a few months. Sometimes it just feels full and other times I have terrible pain. The ENT said my ears look normal but LRP can cause referred ear pain . I also feel as if there is something draining from my ear and down the eustatian tube. I can really feel it if I tip my head back or to the side. I haven't found anything that relieves the pain; I have a prescription for Naprosyn for joint pain I used to get and it doesn't help at all. Sometimes if I pull down on my ear it relieves the pain and full feeling. I have a friend who has TMJ and she has jaw and ear pain. Maybe you have a little of both.

I hope you feel better soon!

Closed Thread