It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
(male)

lbb87 HB User
Foods to avoid

Is there a website that provides a list of foods to avoid? I have a small list that came from some heartburn foundation but there's a lot of popular/common foods it doesn't list.

I'm particularly interested in Jello gelatin, Jello pudding, soy milk, soy burgers, veggie burgers, soups, and cool whip. And why is a baked potato ok but mashed potatoes aren't (I love mashed potatoes)?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
(female)

Kellir HB User
Re: Foods to avoid

I would also love to have a list of foods. Do you have LPR or GERD? I have LPR and it seems that it doesnt matter what I eat, everything aggravates it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
(male)

lbb87 HB User

I was originally diagnosed with GERD in 2000. Since then I think I've developed LPR. I no longer have health insurance and I don't have a job. I'm trying to go to college and it's impossible for me to do that and work at the same time. So I can't afford to go to the doctor.

I just found this list - [url]http://patienteducation.upmc.com/Pdf/GERD.pdf[/url]

Now I just wish I knew if chocolate fudge pudding is bad. I could easily give up chocolate candy if I could still eat my chocolate fudge pudding pies.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-10-2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: posted commercial websites

Old 08-09-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
(female)

Kellir HB User

Sounds like were in the same boat. I dont have insurance either so I cant go to the doc and im currently trying to get a job and take GED classes. Its all sooooo frustrating and sressfull =P
Thanks for the links xD

Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
(female)

JackieM67 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbb87 View Post
Is there a website that provides a list of foods to avoid? I have a small list that came from some heartburn foundation but there's a lot of popular/common foods it doesn't list.

I'm particularly interested in Jello gelatin, Jello pudding, soy milk, soy burgers, veggie burgers, soups, and cool whip. And why is a baked potato ok but mashed potatoes aren't (I love mashed potatoes)?
It could be if the mashed potatoes are seasoned with butter or margarine, it makes them rich. Rich foods are a problem for people with acid reflux. So if a baked potato is ok, it must mean without any butter. I'm not sure if I would like that, but it would beat not having potatoes I suppose.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
(female)

JackieM67 HB User

Well I'm a big fan of chocolate, but it sure does reap havoc with acid reflux. I have just gotten away from eating it much at all. Occasionally. I thought I would list foods that cause me to have acid reflux.

bananas and oranges the worst with fruits for me
all tomato based foods
chocolate
milk products
all spicy foods
oatmeal (and its so good for you)
all fruit juices
ketsup
mustard
miracle whip salad dressing- is the pits for my reflux love it, but it doesn't love me back
coffee
soda pop, even the caffeine free and diet, too much carbonation, sometimes If I want some, I leave it set out and go flat. I've gotten used to it that way.
gave up alchol, no margaritas for me anymore
sausage, bacon
pizza without saying

The one thing I have noticed is the portions. I find that if I eat smaller portions, I do better at what I am eating. It's hard to do sometimes when you want seconds, but it's either cut down, or put up with the pain of the reflux

When I'm having a bad round with the reflux, it's almost everything I eat. I never would have thought dairy, milk in particular, would be a food to avoid, but it is definitely an acid producer for me.

Last edited by JackieM67; 08-13-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
(female)

winterj HB User

Hi everyone,

I'm also trying to figure out which foods to avoid. In my search, I came across the Specific Carbohydrate Diet - was designed for people with intestinal problems, and has to do with the excess sugar in the body and the bacterias that live off of it...apparently this diet can also help with reflux, I guess because it stems from the same problem...so I'm trying to cut out all refined sugars, and the other "illegal" foods, like pasta, potato, wheat, etc. to see if it helps. Unfortunately, I love chocolate too, and that is one of the supposed trigger foods. I've only been doing this about a week, but I can say so far I notice less phlegm, so there is hope.

Closed Thread