It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Anyone think that probiotics may cause the problems?

I was having acid reflux mildly and decided to take acidophilis with probiotics in pearl forms. Ever since than I'm so much worse and my digestive system seems to be so off.

Could it actually make things worse for me?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

nataliachick7 HB User
Re: Anyone think that probiotics may cause the problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls View Post
I was having acid reflux mildly and decided to take acidophilis with probiotics in pearl forms. Ever since than I'm so much worse and my digestive system seems to be so off.

Could it actually make things worse for me?

you may be taking too much. But i just posted a similair thread....probiotics actually increase stomach acid, so i am now hesitant to give them to my son. i dont get why probiotics are recommended for gerd if they increase stomach acid.

this is what i am referring to:
BIFIDOBACTERIUM BIFIDUM/LACTIS (BB-12)

Bifidobacterium bifidum (recently identified as B. lactis) is the most prominent microorganism strain setting up residence and implanting itself in the lining of the large intestine. B. bifidum is known for producing acetic and lactic acids, which lowers the pH. (increases the acidity) of the intestine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

Well, that explains everything. I'm going the full natural way and not take anything herbal, natural at all. I'm going to stop everything and just let my digestive system fix itself.

No wonder. I was having bad heartburn here and there when I stopped the Prilosec and someone suggested these probiotic pearls. I have took one a day and ever since I started them I have been having horrible acid reflux every day, constant burping, pain in my esophagus so bad I can't hardly do anything. I'm having a scope done next week to see if I have damaged my esophagus, but I tell you if that crap made this happen I now know never to take it again.

GGGRRRR! Figures!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
(female)

winterj HB User

With some acid reflux problems, there is not enough acid produced.

The Following User Says Thank You to winterj For This Useful Post:
Aryana70 (09-22-2011)
Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
(female)

Answers10001 HB User

probiotics can also make you feel worse before you feel better, because the good bacteria are fighting off the bad bacteria. I felt bad for a day or two after taking them, but they are a really important supplement and I am very glad I am taking them now. They may not have helped really improved my reflux (I have only been taking them for a week), but I am definetly a lot less bloated. If you have been on any long term antibiotic, I would suggest using acidophilus (which I am pretty sure caused my digestive problems/my reflux).

Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

No, I'm not on any antibiotics. And I've been taken the probiotics for over 2 months. If they were suppose to make me feel better they haven't, they have just made me worse.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
(female)

lizzylu HB User

I know what you mean. I feel like they (probiotics) make me more acidy and I don't think I need more acid. It just doesn't make sense to make an acidy stomach more acidy, am I right? It's just all so confusing. I keep trying different things. I think the PPI's worked more than anything else. I have good days and bad days no matter what I take so how am I supposed to know what works. I just don't know. It's extremely frustrating. At least we can all vent to each other. I have a Gastro appt in 2 weeks, hopefully he'll give me a scope just to see what the hell is going on with my esophegus and then we can take it from there. cripes!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I have a scope scheduled on this Tuesday with the Bravo/ph probe to be done as well. I'm finally going to get some answers and hopefully I will get answers on what is going on with my esophagus as well.

It feels so inflamed and hurt!

Closed Thread