It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
(male)

paul_hest HB User
Tapering off Prilosec OTC

Hey all,

I'm planning to taper off Prilosec OTC. I've been taking it twice daily for a few months now and want to avoid a rebound effect if at all possible.

Is it ok to cut the tablet in half to help with tapering off?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 09-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Tapering off Prilosec OTC

Twice a day?? My husband takes it once a day....son takes it once every 3-4 days

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Is it scored? If so fine, if not, no, as it is time release.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I'm not sure about the tablets. You need to look up the prescribing info on it to see if it is an extended release tablet--it may not be.

If you've been on Prilosec you should taper off as you will get acid rebound (which is why the poster above probably feels bad after 4-5 days off of it).

I use Prilosec in prescription form and it is capsules so I just open them up and empty out about half of the spanules. This is how I taper.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you swallow a capsule with half how do you swallow the other half? I was not aware that prilosec even came as a caplet. When I had to go off the PPI 's waiting for my H. Pylori test I was told I could use Pepcid or Tagamet and that helped with the rebound. Cheaper, too.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyondweller View Post
If you swallow a capsule with half how do you swallow the other half? I was not aware that prilosec even came as a caplet. When I had to go off the PPI 's waiting for my H. Pylori test I was told I could use Pepcid or Tagamet and that helped with the rebound. Cheaper, too.

I open up the capsule and empty out about half of the spanules. I throw them away. Then I just take the reduced dose.

Prilosec originally came as a capsule with spanules inside in dosages of 20, 40, and higher. When it went OTC, the new formalation of the OTC version was a tablet. I switched over to that as my prescription plan would no longer pay for the capsule direct for the original manufacturer. Well, the Prilosec OTC did NOTHING for me and, in fact, caused severe nausea.

I had my doctor write a letter to my insurance company and I am now allowed to buy the "old" Prilosec 20 mg in a capsule. The manufacturer, Astra-Zeneca, still makes it. It is far superior to the OTC stuff.

Oh, and for me, Tagamet and Pepcid don't do a thing.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, that is good that it is covered cause it is expensive. You can get the pill in generic but you have to have a prescription for it. For people that have poor prescription coverage it is a help. I have to use 800 Tagamet a day or am for now. I will cut back when this episodes subsides. I am finding the gum chewing after meals the best solution yet and also anytime I feel like I might be getting some burn or throat problems from the acid. Don't know why no Doctor ever mentioned it because it like a miracle for me.

Closed Thread