It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Yellowish/orange coated tongue. Is this a symptom?

Does anyone get a coating on their tongue from acid reflux. I don't have heartburn, but I do have a constant throat clearing problem, occasional hoarseness, and a burning feeling sometimes in my mouth and throat. I'm not sure if it's allergies or reflux. But for the last month I've had the coating on my tongue. My dentist gave me a tongue scraper, said it works better than a toothbrush. Well IMO it doesn't work at all. Toothbrush is definately better, but the coating keeps coming back. I don't know if it's something totally unrelated, but I thought maybe it could be reflux. (my dentist said it's just food staining my tongue. Why then am I the only one in my family with it when we all eat the same thing?).

Old 09-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

cl84 HB User
Re: Yellowish/orange coated tongue. Is this a symptom?

A coated tongue is one of the many symptoms of reflux. I have it and I brush my teeth and tongue several times a day to get rid of it. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Thank you so much for your response. What color is the coating on your tongue? If mine was just white I wouldn't worry so much. I don't have heartburn, do my other symptoms sound like possibly acid reflux?

Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

bnk85 HB User

I have reflux and was told that the throat clearing, the burning in the mouth, and the coated tongue are all symptons. i dont get the burning in the mouth so much, but i have a horrible problem clearing my throat, constantly. my tongue is coated with a whitish/yellow coating and no matter how much i brush it, it doesnt clear up. i tried a tongue scraper and it didnt help me.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
(female)

YankeeRoseO1 HB User

Im not familiar with orange or yellow coating on tongue..however,a whitish coating on tongue is a yeast infection. It doesnt come off no matter what you do to get it off. I am not sure if this is what you have or if it is from the acid, which wouldnt surprise me. The acid seems to affect everything! But, you might want to mention yeast infection to your dr and see if this could be the problem.

Last edited by YankeeRoseO1; 09-24-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
(female)

Cicada HB User

The burning sensation in your throat definitely sounds like acid reflux. Do you get a sweet taste in your mouth or throat? That could be a sign.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Somebody on this board told me to use baking soda for toothpaste when I was getting tongue and teeth problems and it really works. Brush teeth morning and night with baking soda (real, not Baking soda toothpaste) and then swish it around in mouth. Really works.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
(female)

spider1959 HB User

I have been doing my research and found out that the PPI's we are taking for GERD affect the way our stomachs absorb B-12. My tongue turned white and burned real bad for about 9 months before I found out that a B-12 deficiency can cause this. I quickly called my gastro doc and they tested my B-12 and it was in fact very low. I am having to give myself B-12 injections now. I have also been on the PPI's for about 15 years. I suggest you get your B-12 tested.

Closed Thread