It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
(female)

binkyholder HB User
Barium Swallow - What were your results?

Just curiouse. I had a barium down about 5 months ago and they said they saw nothing wrong with my esophogus and did not see ulcers. Just mild reflux.

Has anyone out there had this done and they found something wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by binkyholder; 09-12-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Red60 HB User
Re: Barium Swallow - What were your results?

They said mine was normal. My new doctor didn't understand why they even had me do the test. His question was, "Did you have a problem swallowing?" to which I said "no". In his opinion that would be the only reason to run the test. He more or less said that the test was a waste of time and money and a scope check should be done if GERDS was suspected. The Barium Swallow would only detect major abnormalties and give no indication of the tissue condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

YankeeRoseO1 HB User
Re: Barium Swallow - What were your results?

Hi,
I had an enhanced barrium upper gi series done. It showed total reflux wiht lower esophageal sphincter not working, and upper esophageal sphincter not working. It also showed hiatal hernia and gastritis.
It showed that I had no blockages, or strictures and no ulcers. It will not show the condition of the tisuses as well as a scope would, but it is alot less invasive. Since I had the enhanced barrium (they gaveme these little crystals mixed with water that fizzed after I drank it), it produced gas, and expanded my esophagus and stomach, so that the tissues can be examined.

Closed Thread