It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
New Procedure for GERD & LPR

Has anyone read or know about the new procedure for GERD using a "Plicator", a stapling device that creats a pleat to tighten the weak valve?
I'm very interested in this and trying to learn more about it and would love to find someone that's had it. It's a 20 min procedure where a device is inserted into the throat and a pleat is made. The lady in the article reported a week later she was eating anything she wanted with no coughing, PND, clearing throat, nothing. Didn't have to take any meds afterward. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

Charla

Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: New Procedure for GERD & LPR

There are many procedures brought up in the last 10 or so years, and Plicator is 1 of them. Results are mixed, just like fundoplication - doesn't work, fails, or causes other problems. They haven't had enough experience, yet apparently enough that it's not recommended yet over fundo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

That worries me because I "do" know several people that had fundo and not good results or had to have it done over after a few years. Reason my Dr's not too keen on any kind of surgery. You would think they could do "something" for people that meds fail. Thanks for your reply.

Charla

Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Give this new procedure another year, see what they say about it. I'd even try it if I still have LPR a year from now (but I dont' intend to have it).

Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

And what makes you so sure you won't have it again? I've tried without good results of making myself believe it will go away. Thinking about acupunture. Thinking about anything on earth to get rid of this! Drinking miracle berry juice from the rain forrest right now in hopes it will help. So desperate even thinking about eating right and giving up Cokes!

Charla

Old 09-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome. Everything out there seems not a great option. Doc's know it and generally avoid that path unless it seems people aren't helped (yet, they say "if drugs don't help, neither will surgery"!).

Are you taking anything regularly that has uh, a bit of a shot of progesterone?

Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
(female)

YankeeRoseO1 HB User

char,
I havent heard too much about this procedure yet either. Im very discouraged with the results that i have read about for the fundo. In the procedure that you are talking about, you stated it for lpr, and I am assuming it would be the uuper esophageal sphincter that they do repair on, or are they repairing the lower sphincter in addition to the upper?

Old 09-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeRoseO1 View Post
char,
I havent heard too much about this procedure yet either. Im very discouraged with the results that i have read about for the fundo. In the procedure that you are talking about, you stated it for lpr, and I am assuming it would be the uuper esophageal sphincter that they do repair on, or are they repairing the lower sphincter in addition to the upper?
No, all procedures proposed to date try to bolster the LES. Absolutely nothing I've ever read about fixing the UES - and in fact, few say there's ever a problem with the UES (which I doubt).

Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
(female)

YankeeRoseO1 HB User

Not surprising I guess...since some dont even recognize lpr as seperate from gerds.
I have both,and I can feel leaking from BOTH sphincters.

Closed Thread