It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User
Not taking any medicine

I haven't taken any medication for GERD (LPR) for about 5 months now. I still have GERD (sometimes bad, like now, sometimes almost none, like this entire summer). It just seems to me that I felt worse taking the medication then I did when I wasn't. I watch what I eat (most of the time) and I'm able to keep it to a dull roar without any side effects (antacids of any kind give me horrible nightmares). I wake up with an acidy tast most mornings but it's not that bad and it's usually worse because I made it worse (ate a steak late last night). I just think it's easier and healthier, at least with LPR, to do away with the PPI's. Read these posts, very few people have any improvement on them. Yeah thats right, it takes 6 months to heal, read the posts, these people have it for years without any improvment at all. Then they try to scare you with the cancer talk, increases chances of getting cancer. So does Flouride in the water, so does 2nd hand smoke, so does pollution etc. etc. Try to find the root of the problem like I've been doing.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Not taking any medicine

I have to agree with you. When I started this "GERD/LPR Journey" ten (yes TEN) years ago, I did get better with meds but after healing the errosion, I was still stuck with the LPR, which is much worse to me. I have gone on and off PPI's over the years and been switched to several different ones and tried every OTC product there is. I have chronic symptoms every day of my life but sometimes I get really sick and I get well taking the same meds I got sick on and eating the same foods. All I do different is have to go to bed and maybe take antibiotics if it's upper resp or sinus infection, which I feel are all caused by the LPR. Two Nexium a day doesn't seem to make any difference than one. I'm really discouraged as you might can tell, but it consumes my life. I do try to go about like normal people but some days I feel so bad and cough until I can't stop, can't breath and lose my voice for months and it's never good now to begin with. You are lucky you go long bouts without symptoms and if anyone gets well after 6 to 8 weeks please let me know what you did. BTW, a study at Stanford says diet is not thought to be of that much importance with LPR. The cancer thing does worry me since I was 45 when I got this continue to have it. I would have to think over the years of my throat and larynx getting bathed in acid that it would cause some kind of serious problems.

Charla

Charla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
(male)

buildingmaint HB User

I've been off PPI'S for about 5 months now and although I still get heartburn I feel so so so much better off PPI'S then on. While on PPI'S I always had flu like symptoms all the time , I just never felt well. PPI'S also made me reflux . Yes I know they are supposed to eliminate reflux ,but they did the opposite for me. Yes they did kill the acid but not the reflux. I could never get any of my Doctors to believe me . They just told me to take more PPI'S , which made the reflux worse . I guess they thought killing the acid was half the battle and some times that is good enough. I would wake up 2-3 times a week while in bed not being able to breath or with a mouth full of regerduated food. Not a lot of fun. I hope I never have that problem again.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

I agree, I do feel better off of the PPIs! I thought the Prevacid was going to kill me...If I have a really bad attack I sometimes will take a Zantac, but that is about it since May.
What I do know for certian is that in my case, stress and anxiety are my enemies along with carbs!
I am just i search of a common thread, I posted a thread looking for things that do or don't trigger attacks for people. I just think that if we all can get together, maybe we can find some type of an eating/living plan.
TakeCare!!
Crazy

Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

ScarlettA HB User
Question Re: Not takind meds & TWO questions

I started on Pepcid, and for about one wonderful week, I thought that this was the answer for me. I remember actually feeling SO GOOD, and so grateful to have found something at last. But then it stopped working. I quit taking it, waited awhile, tried again, but it never worked the same again. Same thing with Zantac.
Then Previcid. What a nightmare that was! It made me sick and headachey and weak and constipated. It was truly a scary medication for me and did a number on my body.. I'm afraid to try Nexium.
Right now I'm not taking anything. I'm trying to watch my food, but what I eat doesn't seem to matter in the least.

I have two questions:
#1 - Do most of you feel that this LPR problem gets better on it's own, but then always returns? What I mean is, are there times of "remission" when you actually feel normal? When you can resume life as it used to be? I'm not expecting miracles here, but just a break once in awhile.

#2 - I have noticed that MEN do not find this as big a problem as women? They seem able to take Nexium, Acifix and any prescription or OTC med and be just fine. No side effects! I know a number of men who take these meds that just go on with "business as usual". They drink booze, eat all foods, hang out at Starbuck's and generally live a normal life. Just so they take their pill every day, they are fine. This is NOT true of most women.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hello ScarletA, here's my take on your questions

1) My LPR was 98% gone for the entire summer. I felt really go. Almost 3 months of feeling good. Now it's back with a vengence. Why? I have no idea.

2) I do have a friend who takes 1 Prilosec and he now eats and drinks whatever he wants. He's a man, so am I. I'm not so lucky. The PPI's and H2's really screw me up when I take them (and don't work). I dont' take anything for it now.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

naturemomma816 HB User

I don't have time to read all the other posts, but just thought I'd share this....

My mother always suffered from acid reflux, in March of 2006 she was disgnosed with cancer of the esophagus. The cancer was directly related to the acid reflux. At the time of her diagnosis she was case #16, now the number reported has reached the thousands. This is nothing to play with.
After so many years you can develop Barretts disease and from there serious problems can occur. Luckily my moms was caught in time so chemo and radiation did help. However, because of the location this cancer is very difficult treat - especially once it has progressed. I would talk to a gastro Dr. and set up an appt. to have an endoscopy.

My mother had some side effects from meds as well, talk to your Dr., there are many meds available now. I am sure you can find one that is right for you. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

As the reason stated from poster below, I think I will continue my Nexium or have it switched. Although, I can't say it has any affect on my LPR anymore. In answer to ScarlettA (love that name since it's my daughter's!) I think it's worse for women because: Number 1 - We worry much more than men - Number 2 - It effects our voices and that's much more important to women than men (professionally and socially) Number 3 - Men aren't going to give up beer and fried foods no matter what the outcome. I must add that I've come to the conclusion that what I eat doesn't matter because I get symptoms when I haven't eaten anything. I do not think there is a cure for some with this disease no matter what meds or life style changes we make. That's just my personal opinion. I do think we go into remission for periods of time. Even I have better days than others but for past few years, I have not gone a single day without something. Usually PND & cough & my voice has not been the same in yrs and yrs. I'm always nasal sounding even when not hoarse (I lose my voice for weeks and months at a time) I never or never did have heartburn. I've been seriously considering surgery but things are looking bleak in that direction too. I think the surgery helps people with GERD more than LPR. As others, I'm lucky enough to have both but the LPR is much harder for me to deal with. I have had this for 10 yrs and I sincerely pray for the people on the board that have recently been diagnosed and told that they will be cured in 6 months.

Charla

Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
(female)

Pooke67 HB User

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones (so far, anyway). I was very sick for 6 months until an ENT diagnosed me with LPR. It took 6-8 weeks, but I finally feel back to myself since taking Prilosec and Zantac (Prilosec in the am and Zantac in the pm). I am hoping that I stay well, but I'm a little concerned since many of you long-time LPR sufferers say that you get recurrences. I have stuck it out with the medication, even though at times I feel like I'm having side effects. My understanding is that I need 6 months of meds to heal my throat/esophogas and I will stick it out. Coffee and alcohol both seem to mess me up. I used to drink 1/2 pot of coffee at night (after 9 pm) and I have cut myself down to 1 cup in the a.m. only. I also notice that when I have red wine or beer (even 1-2) I feel a little ill the next day. At my last visit, my ENT told me that I should really use Astelin to reduce the swelling in my sinuses (presumeably from allergies). Since I started using this at night (it makes me really tired), 1 squirt in each nostril, I noticed a HUGE improvement in how I feel in the daytime. I think my biggest LPR complication is in my sinuses. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I took allergy shots for years and my poor allergy spec was down to suggesting roots & herbs since nothing helped me. I agree that the nasal sprays do help (not completely for me though ) Since LPR causes sinus problems and inflammation it would make sense that nasal sprays could be of some help. I also use nasal rinses for allergy and LPR. I know coffe and cokes are a real no no with reflux but I drink my coke and it doesn't seem to bother me. Strange that coffee does though. Chocolate really does a number on me but who can expect to go thru life without it! My Dr. say's to learn your triggers since everyone is different and not rule out every food suggested. I don't eat fried foods but that's more by choice. My problem is some days water will reflux! I never know from day to day what will be my problem. Lately, it's been food period. On the other hand, sometimes I will feel better and stop coughing and clearing my throat when I do eat something! So, if my post seem to contradict myself, that's the reason why.
Never ends.

Charla

Old 09-27-2007, 06:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I just finished my first test, I avoided milk and chocolate for almost 2 weeks. I still have all the reflux. Will move on to adding calcium and magnesium, see if that helps. Then will try the hardest one of all, removing wheat from diet for 2 weeks, will let you know what happens.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

I have removed all gluten from my diet now for almost 3 weeks and still don;t see a difference.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

Hi Chalupa, it's good to know others are trying to pinpoint the cause. Maybe one of us will hit something by testing one thing at a time. I'll let you know how it goes with increasing Calcium and Magnesium.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:59 PM   #14
(female)

ScarlettA HB User

CharBerry - My acid reflux symptoms sound a lot like yours. The thing that worries me the most is my voice. Just a simple thing like answering the phone and saying "Hello", or speaking a few sentences to the checker at the grocery store is painful. My voice will break, and then get strained and weak sounding. Now I DREAD talking on the phone! I used to be a regular chatterbox, but now I make an excuse to get off the phone ASAP.
This weekend coming up I have to go to a family wedding. Instead of looking forward to it I'm dreading it. Everyone is going to want to talk, and I'm going to want to talk, and it will be a terrible ordeal!

I'm hoping that I will have a "remission" of some sort before long? I have some stressful things going on in my life right now, so I guess that might be contributing to this proiblem? I've never been a big believer in stress making a person sick?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

One of these things I'm trying for reflux better work soon, I'm really going downhill. For the first time in like 4 months I woke up last night unable to breath. I seem to be going backwards and I don't know why.

Closed Thread