It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 AM   #1
(female)

justthinking HB User
Barrett's Esophagitis & Gastritis cured w/o reflux pills

i've had acid reflux disease since 2002. i have never had an endoscopy that didn't reveal esophagitis or gastritis. in february, i found out i also have barrett's esophagitis and was told that if i didn't take my reflux medication, that i would end up with esophageal cancer. but the medication wasn't helping. i ended up using digestive enzymes (bought them over the counter) and months after being scoped again, my gastritis cleared up, and the barrett's was gone. i still had esophagitis but i still think that's amazing.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
(female)

driven88 HB User
Re: Barrett's Esophagitis & Gastritis cured w/o reflux pills

Hi Well I'm glad your last scope showed no Barretts but if you actually had Barretts it's almost 100 percent impossible to go away like that. 99.99999

There are a number of possibilities . You were misdiagnosed the first time , or it was missed this time.

There are many misdiagnoses . It's very difficult to tell where the esophagus ends and the stomach begins and many times the biopsy is done on the stomach by mistake which produces a false positive result . Also there are lab errors.

As you know, Barretts must be diagnosed through biopsy and many doctors wait until esophagitis clears up so there won't be any errors. Esophagitis can cover it too , also jumbo biopsies should be done. You could still have it, the doctor just may not have biopsied the right spots .

Everyone diagnosed should get a second opinion , you can obtain your original biopsy slides which many people do, ( where you tested positive ) and mail them away to Johns Hopkins for example ( many people use them ) You could see another GI as well.

Are you sure you actually had it ? I read your posts and you said it said Barretts on the discharge papers , but did the biopsies test positive ? You could obtain a copy of both endoscopy reports at the hospital . Barretts cannot be diagnosed visually it must be confirmed by biopsy. Many people have a Barretts looking esophagus, but no Barretts.

Last edited by driven88; 10-09-2007 at 03:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread