It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
(male)

cappy7 HB User
Hypochlorhydria- Betaine HCL & Pepsin

Hello all,

I haven't posted here in awhile, but thought I would chime in. Has anybody on this board been checked for stomach acidity? The same symptoms exist for too much stomach acid and low stomach acid (Hypochlorhydria). I've been on PPI's since last year, and while they help, I think they are doing more harm than good long term. Adequate amounts of stomach acid is essential for overall health. Don't take my word for it....do your own research. I'd be willing to bet many of you who are taking PPI's or the like actually suffer from Hypochlorhydria, low stomach acid. If this is true, continuing with the PPI's is not a good thing.

I will be starting on the Betaine HCL & Pepsin combo tomorrow. When you look up low stomach acid, you will find many symptoms that you have. I know I did. A few examples are, gas, bloating, belching after meals, bad breath, candida, IBS, Leaky Gut, heartburn, indigestion, etc. You get the point. All of these are symptoms of low stomach acid. Trust me, there are plenty more. Plus, the drug companies are making billions of dollars on the meds we are taking for a condition we should be taking the opposite for. Again, I'm not suggesting everybody has low stomach acid, but I would be willing to be many of us do.

I will chime back in after a few days to let you know how I make out.

Thanks

-Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
(male)

darock_sayz HB User
Re: Hypochlorhydria- Betaine HCL & Pepsin

Hi Dave,

Interesting post….I’d like to add to it….

My wife and were told the same thing on the advice of a Naturopath. He said he notices a lot of people with low stomach acid being on PPI’s. They give you HCL tablets which should aggravate the heart burn even more to test if it is low stomach acid. Well my wife was taking the highest dose of HCL without any heartburn so it left us quite confused. More acid – no reflux, however we did get a little scared taking all those HCL tablets.

We went back to our Doctor and the Gastro….they do not buy into the low acid theory at all and think you are crazy for even thinking of this. They have her back on PPI’s for the moment and she only occasionally get’s reflux. But, funny thing is when she is not on a PPI she can have a glass of orange juice, but while on a PPI she will get heart burn.

Anyways, we want to find a new gastro to see if they will do the test to measure acidity at some point and go from there.

Good luck and let us know how you make out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
(male)

cappy7 HB User

Hi,

That is good to know. Thanks for the encouraging post. Why did you wife stop taking the HCL if they were helping? Just curious. The good thing is, you don't have to take the HCL capsules forever. Your stomach will readjust and start making adequate amounts of acid. For some, this happens in a few weeks, for others in a few months. That is also the beauty of the human body, always able to readjust and rebuild.

Let me know how your wife makes out. If the HCL capsules helped, she definitely has low stomach acid and PPI's are the worst thing for her to take.

-Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to cappy7 For This Useful Post:
neffda (01-12-2012)
Old 10-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
(female)

justthinking HB User

I've had acid reflux disease since 2002, repeated endoscopy reports always showing esophagitis/gastritis. In February, I had developed Barrett's Esphagitis. After a blood test revealed low amylase & lipase, I started taking an over-the-counter multi-enzyme formula. 10 years of disabling fatigue went away, reflux hardly bothered me, and my bowel movements normalized. After months of use of this stuff, I had a gastroscopy (just mths ago) and it showed my gastritis cleared up and the Barrett's went away, though the Esophagitis was still there, but that's amazing!!!! Was not given any reason as to why this stuff would help my reflux so much but assumed I had the reflux because of the inability to properly digest my food and maybe that was why. I was switched to prescription enzymes, and my problems came back. Now I know an ingredient in the multi-enzyme formula is Betaine Hydrocholoride which actually treats low stomach acid. I had another test done that showed I have carbohydrate malabsorption. I used reflux medication for years off and on and decided to quit once it got to the point that it didn't help at all, though it has helped some in the past. I plan to get tested for low stomach acid next week and I really believe that is why I am so sick. The trick to figuring out whether it's too much acid or if your body is not producing enough, is to take the Betaine Hydrocholoride, if you react badly with worsening symptoms, then it's not a low acid problem.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
(female)

serenityls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
I've had acid reflux disease since 2002, repeated endoscopy reports always showing esophagitis/gastritis. In February, I had developed Barrett's Esphagitis. After a blood test revealed low amylase & lipase, I started taking an over-the-counter multi-enzyme formula. 10 years of disabling fatigue went away, reflux hardly bothered me, and my bowel movements normalized. After months of use of this stuff, I had a gastroscopy (just mths ago) and it showed my gastritis cleared up and the Barrett's went away, though the Esophagitis was still there, but that's amazing!!!! Was not given any reason as to why this stuff would help my reflux so much but assumed I had the reflux because of the inability to properly digest my food and maybe that was why. I was switched to prescription enzymes, and my problems came back. Now I know an ingredient in the multi-enzyme formula is Betaine Hydrocholoride which actually treats low stomach acid. I had another test done that showed I have carbohydrate malabsorption. I used reflux medication for years off and on and decided to quit once it got to the point that it didn't help at all, though it has helped some in the past. I plan to get tested for low stomach acid next week and I really believe that is why I am so sick. The trick to figuring out whether it's too much acid or if your body is not producing enough, is to take the Betaine Hydrocholoride, if you react badly with worsening symptoms, then it's not a low acid problem.
I'm goin gto try this also because I suspect you're right. Is it better to try just Betaine Hydrochloride or mixed with Pepsin? Both seem to be available as a digestive aid.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
(female)

serenityls HB User

Dave, Have you tried to take this combo yet? If so, has it helped at all?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
(female)

justthinking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityls View Post
I'm goin gto try this also because I suspect you're right. Is it better to try just Betaine Hydrochloride or mixed with Pepsin? Both seem to be available as a digestive aid.
I haven't tried both together. I'm not even sure what Pepsin is, so I'd be interested in hearing about it too. Sorry I don't know.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
(female)

Myth HB User

I used to get acid reflux which were not relieved, but made worse by antacids
I do believe the problem with acid reflux is a lack of acid not too much of it
I now take betaine hydrochloride with pepsin and also a digestive enzyme formula and havent had any reflux since
it is well worth a try starting with a small dose & increase until you find your optimum level

Myth

Closed Thread