It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

binkyholder HB User
Gasping for air in the night - Zantac Side Effect??

I've been fasting for a couple days and also been taking Zantac 150 twice a day.

Last night was horrible, I couldn't sleep and I woke up several times in the night with a very dry mouth and it felt like I was gasping for air. I hate it!!

Could this be a side effect of the Zantac 150???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
(female)

justthinking HB User
Re: Gasping for air in the night - Zantac Side Effect??

I'm not sure if there's any association with Zantac and gasping for air (I'm doubting it) but there is a link between acid reflux disease and sleep apnea. If your waking up gasping for air, you have likely quit breathing in your sleep (meaning you need a sleep study!). It could likely just seem the medication is doing it when it's not. Medications that make sleep disordered breathing worse would be things like valium, sleeping pills, and such.. But that's what it sounds like. You need to tell your doctor what's going on. Do you have persistent symptoms of fatigue or feeling like you didn't sleep when you actually did?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

binkyholder HB User

Nope, have never had this at all. Yesterday I didn't take the Zantac at all and I slept really good.

My theory is that it makes my mouth very dry. I know I was also breathing through my mouth that night and not through my nose.

Anyways, I'll chalk it up to the Zantac.

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
(female)

justthinking HB User

Regardless of what caused you to wake up gasping for air, it could likely be associated with sleep apnea.

All these symptoms you describe of a side effect of that medication are symptoms of an apnea event.

The medication could have exassurated the problem somehow.

Apnea isn't something that typically wakes you up during the night. It never did with me until after I was actually diagnosed with it.

At least tell your doctor. A symptom of dry mouth is probley a harmless side effect but gasping for breath is pretty bad.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
(male)

buildingmaint HB User

This has happened to me three times while I was on PPI's . I would wake up and not be able to breath. I was inhaling my reflux into my lungs. I had three sleep studies so I did not have any sleep apnea issues . PPI's were causing my reflux not reducing them . The only thing PPI's did was to neutralize the acid, they did nothing for the reflux. I've been off PPI's for 6 months now and have not refluxed since being off PPI's . I still have heart burn which I control with Tums .

Closed Thread