It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Awaiting biopsy results from endoscopy

It will be 2 weeks today since my endoscopy. My doctor was on vacation for the last week and just came back into the office on friday.
The scheduler called to make an appointment for a consultation visit with the doctor. I asked to speak with the nurse to find out my results and I was told that she'd call me by the end of the day. I called 3 times friday and they assured me the nurse would call. She never did.
I again called 3 times today and they finally told me they talked to the nurse and she can't go get my file off of the doctors desk and give me my results over the phone without his permission.
It makes me mad that they asked the nurse when I she could have came to the phone and told me herself or at least talk to me when I waited all weekend long to try to call back.
Why the consultation? Why won't they give me my results over the phone? This makes me very very nervous.
If the doctor found something like cancer during the endoscopy would he have told me he possibly thinks there is cancer? I am scared. I have 3 pictures from the endoscopy that he gave me that day and the pictures of my stomach look really red, swollen, puffy and very nasty, raw looking.
I was told I possibly have a hiatial hernia, possible gastritis, possible eosophlic esophagitis and schalti's rings which the doctor also said could be caused by an allergen and if so he wanted to try to treat it with a steroid type medicine to loosen these rings in my eophagus.
He said he wanted to postpone dialation of my esophagus until he got the biopsy results back in because in one area my esophagus was severely narrowed.
He was worried since he took biopsies that if he tried to dialate the area too it would tear my esophagus and he didn't want to risk it.
I am just really terrified that the nurse won't come to the phone and give me results, this is the first test I've ever had done by any doctor where I couldn't get results over the phone I told them honestly I can't afford the office visit fee to just come in and hear results that they can give me over the phone. The doctor was out of the office today so they couldn't ask for approval. They said he is in his other offices doing procedures tomorrow and he won't be back in the office until the afternoon to complete charts and if they can get an approval it probably won't be until Wednesday. I am a complete nervous wreck, I can't wait until Wednesday.
They were so rude over the phone and I felt like I was bothering them by calling so many times but if they only knew how I felt and how nervous and scared right now.
Has anyone else been told that they have to come in to talk to the doctor about their results before? Why is my chart on his desk where the nurse can't get to it?
Please anyone I'd love some support or any feedback here.
Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
(female)

cl84 HB User
Re: Awaiting biopsy results from endoscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton92 View Post
It will be 2 weeks today since my endoscopy. My doctor was on vacation for the last week and just came back into the office on friday.
The scheduler called to make an appointment for a consultation visit with the doctor. I asked to speak with the nurse to find out my results and I was told that she'd call me by the end of the day. I called 3 times friday and they assured me the nurse would call. She never did.
I again called 3 times today and they finally told me they talked to the nurse and she can't go get my file off of the doctors desk and give me my results over the phone without his permission.
It makes me mad that they asked the nurse when I she could have came to the phone and told me herself or at least talk to me when I waited all weekend long to try to call back.
Why the consultation? Why won't they give me my results over the phone? This makes me very very nervous.
If the doctor found something like cancer during the endoscopy would he have told me he possibly thinks there is cancer? I am scared. I have 3 pictures from the endoscopy that he gave me that day and the pictures of my stomach look really red, swollen, puffy and very nasty, raw looking.
I was told I possibly have a hiatial hernia, possible gastritis, possible eosophlic esophagitis and schalti's rings which the doctor also said could be caused by an allergen and if so he wanted to try to treat it with a steroid type medicine to loosen these rings in my eophagus.
He said he wanted to postpone dialation of my esophagus until he got the biopsy results back in because in one area my esophagus was severely narrowed.
He was worried since he took biopsies that if he tried to dialate the area too it would tear my esophagus and he didn't want to risk it.
I am just really terrified that the nurse won't come to the phone and give me results, this is the first test I've ever had done by any doctor where I couldn't get results over the phone I told them honestly I can't afford the office visit fee to just come in and hear results that they can give me over the phone. The doctor was out of the office today so they couldn't ask for approval. They said he is in his other offices doing procedures tomorrow and he won't be back in the office until the afternoon to complete charts and if they can get an approval it probably won't be until Wednesday. I am a complete nervous wreck, I can't wait until Wednesday.
They were so rude over the phone and I felt like I was bothering them by calling so many times but if they only knew how I felt and how nervous and scared right now.
Has anyone else been told that they have to come in to talk to the doctor about their results before? Why is my chart on his desk where the nurse can't get to it?
Please anyone I'd love some support or any feedback here.
Thanks so much!
I had some tests done recently and a few days later I had a message on my answering machine that I needed to call and get an appt. with the dr. to go over the results. Well, I got very nervous and called back and asked what the results were. The receptionist told me that the staff was busy and would call me back as soon as someone was available. Since I got a call back so quickly from the test I imagined the worst since they told me it would be a week. Fortunately for me a nurse called me back within an hour and told me the test results were normal and the dr. wanted to discuss what to do next. Sometimes doctors would rather discuss results in person especially if there are other options he/she wants you to try. It is true that nurses or other staff are not allowed to give that kind of info unless the dr. gives them permission. Luckily my dr. was there and apparently gave the nurse permission to tell me. I know how you feel; waiting is the hardest part.

Hang in there!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

neddyflanders HB User

I notice on these boards there is a preoccupation with cancer. We all have acid reflux not cancer. Your results will show gastritis or some kind of inflammation, if they show anything at all. The link between acid reflux and any kind of cancer is a little far fetched. It's probably the same as saying if you live near a big city and breath the somewhat polluted air your at a higher risk of cancer. Let us all figure out how to get rid of it instead of this exaggerated cancer scare talk.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Hamilton 92,
Federal law allows patients to obtain copies of their medical records. Request to fill out a release of information, sign it and send it in. The doctor's office is obligated to provide you the written copies in 2 weeks. I know this doesn't help you right now to find out what if any problem showed up on the tests. Also, you could show up at the doctor's office and make these requests. I know how it feels to sit and worry.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
(female)

linda36 HB User

I wouldn't worry about cancer - like NeddyFlanders said it is extremely rare to get cancer from acid reflux - even when people have suffered for years with it. He most likely wants to discuss treatment options with you as well as options regarding dilating your esophagus so you can swallow better. I'm sorry you have to wait - I also know how annoying it is to have to wait for test results.

Closed Thread