It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
(female)

bihlerk HB User
Dance Teacher with shortness of breath...Please Help

Hi,
A couple weeks ago I started noticing that i was experiencing chest pains in the center of my chest along with back pain in between my shoulder blades. I also caught myself burping quite a bit. I went to my regular internal medicine doctor. He first gave me an EKG and a chest and lung x-ray. He told me that that those 3 tests came back looking fine. He gave me some samples of prevacid and told me it was acid reflux.
The pain still persisted with the prevacid. It was getting hard to be active at work. I am a dance teacher and I am required to exercise even when I don't feel up to it. After 2 weeks of the chest pains I decided to go to the E.R. They kept me over night for observation. They performed a stress test,MRI,cat scan, multiple EKG's,echo cardiogram, and a chest x-ray. All of those test came back looking fine. The doc said everything look was definitely fine with my heart and referred me to a gastro. doc. The gastro doc performed an endoscopy and found that my esophagus is inflamed. Would this cause my shortness of breath? He should be calling me back with the definite results with in the next couple of days. For right now, he prescribed me Carafate 4 x a day. The symptoms have lessoned in the past week, but the shortness of breath and fatigued is still very apparent. I am also suffering from multiple panic attacks a week which can't be healthy and is probably making the situation worse. My job requires me to be active. I really need some advice on how to juggle my pain along with having to constantly exercise. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I really want to be a normal, active, 27 year old dance teacher again.
Thanks.

Last edited by bihlerk; 10-30-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: cut off half my post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Re: Dance Teacher with shortness of breath...Please Help

That is my exact problem. It started one year ago this November...I wish I could tell you it has gone away but it has not. At first I would get terrible panic attacks thinking I was going to stop breathing, but as time went on I got a little more confident that my breathing would not stop. My regimine now is I take 2 Zantac 1500 one in the morning and one at night plus Pepcid complete in between. I used to take the PPI's like Nexium but was having side effects. I also stay awya from Chocolate and the usual high acidic foods. Sometimes I feel like my throat is spasming so I take .5 of Klonopin (its like Xanax) to help with that.

It's really a lot of trial and error... some people have results on the PPI's like your taking, but it can take up to 6 months for it to go away...
I have a strong case and although it's more tolerable it's still not gone and the breathing is the worse part of it, I just wish I could go back to the day before it started and see waht I did wrong!

Good Luck and know you're not alone!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Dance Teacher with shortness of breath...Please Help

alex,

how tolerable is your breathing now? You could say my biggest fear is that my shortness of breath will come back to torment me. I guess I am very lucky it has gone away. I can (at least right now) function normally once again. Not knowing what had caused it is what makes it so scary. My breathing improved so much I was able to return to work after a long abscence. I now take it one day at a time.
I hope you'll find some relief and be able to breathe normally once again. Have your doctors made any suggestions regarding the SOB?

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-31-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Closed Thread