It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

ryleetn HB User
chest pain sufferers

For all of you who have chest pain with gerd, how do you distinguish the difference from that and chest pain related to the heart? I am so tierd of worrying myself to death all the time that I am dying of a heart attack and even though the cardiologist says things are fine I cannot get past the pain I feel all the time. I have to have a endoscopy done and maybe that will relieve my stress, but if anyone else out there has the same problem please let me know it always helps to know your not alone. Thanks for listening.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: chest pain sufferers

I and a few others would be very interested in hearing the answer. If anyone knows how to tell the difference between reflux and cardiac pain, please post.

thank you,
flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
(female)

Donna K HB User

That is the million dollar question! I think that is why every doctor I have asked, has told me to have any cardiac pain checked out by a doctor or by the ER.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

The chest pain you are having might be related to the esophagus. I have had the pain since 1981. I too thought I was having a heart attack. Well, I am very familiar now with the pain and know that it is not related to the heart. Mine is esophageal spasms, it is usually caused from the acid in your esophagus although the acid may not be coming up into your throat. Ask your doc about it.

Sunny

Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Sunny,

some doctors don't know how to tell the difference. I asked my GP and described the pain I'd had to him. He told me the reflux pain/spasm could be very bad and intense. When asked whether chest pain could still be an esophagal spasm when it is centered in the left chest, he did not seem to know. He said the pain could be all over....not really an answer, was it? I think he doesn't really know. My impression is that the esophageal pain is in the center of the chest and radiating outward, while the cardiac pain involves more tightness/pressure/squeezing feeling and is in the left chest area. I could be wrong. That is why I'll go to the ER if I ever experience intense chest pain again, regardless of the location. Better to be safe than sorry....

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-25-2007 at 10:59 AM.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi Flowergirl,

Maybe you should go to a gastroenterologist, and even then, mine told me it was just heart burn, he told me that for a couple of years until he finally understood that it was such a horrible pain it would double me over sometimes, and we knew it wasn't my heart. I can't honestly say where the heart pain is as I have never had any and don't know anyone who has. As you say, the pain is in the middle of the chest and it does radiate out, sometimes it will even go up my shoulders and neck, is can be horrible. I have gotten so use to it even when it is horrible, I just sit and eat soda crackers, I know that sounds crazy, but there is something in soda crackers that helps. I have heard that you can get botox, but I just can't get into that concept, probably works, but I have had way too many problems to try anything else. My esophagus ruptured in 1981 after having a simple dialation, turned out to be not so simple for me.

Hope you get better,
Sunny

Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

My husband has severe gerd and has had two heart attacks. He knew they were heart attacks, it felt like a elephant was sitting on his chest. He said it was totally different than the gerd.

His cardio told him any chest pain that hurts when you apply pressure is non-cardiac. And with a heart attack your pulse could be either slow or fast but would be irregular.
your b/p can be high, low or normal.

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunny,

thank you for the soda cracker tip. I discovered that soda crackers are good to eat when I am nauseated in the mornings. Because of my nausea I don't usually eat breakfast. My coworker offered me a couple of unsalted soda crackers one morning. She has nausea also. They are easy to swallow (I have the big lump in my throat, like so many of us) and don't upset my stomach. Mine have to be unsalted. You are right, there's something in them that's good for us.
I am so sorry you have this pain often. It's not anything we ever get used to. Each time it happens, it's just as scary as it was before. Few things scare me more than chest pain. I think it comes in second right after breathing difficulties. I am doing fine now, much better than a few weeks ago. Thank you for the good wishes. I hope you won't get the chest pain again.

take care,

flowergirl

Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pa,

thank you for that information! I will remember that. I have been thinking about this for quite some time. I hope your husband is doing well and takes good care of himself.

flowergirl

Old 11-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #10
(female)

cantwalk HB User

ryletn,
if the pain you are having is like chest pains, you may see the doc about gall stones.
last year, i was misdiagnosed with GERD for 3 months. i would have intense chest pains especially at night. I even had to call the squad one night. So very painful. lasted 30-45 min. by the time i went to the hospital, it was over so they sent me home.
i too had all the acid meds and endoscopy that showed everything was normal. Until the second time i went to the ER for these pains, a doctor had the sense to give me an xray of my gall bladder. i had severe pancreatitis as a result of the gall stones. had gall bladder removed. no chest pain since. if you have mild pains, it may be GERD but if it's intense like you think it may be heart attack, it's probably gall stones.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I have left sided pains, it feels like it is right over my heart and sometimes pains in my right breast ( I thought I had breast cancer when I felt this one recently, but realized it must be my GERD because shortly after it started flarring up again). My pain is a sharp shooting pain, not heartburn. What about everyone else?

Going to my GI this Thursday FINALLY. I hope I have some answers, I have been VERY depressed due to this.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #12
(female)

ryleetn HB User

Mine seems to move around, sometimes my back hurts worse. I just get really scared sometimes and the meds don't seem to help a lot. I had a gallbladder ultrasound about a year and a half ago and they said it was fine, I still have to make an appt to have the endo. I just wish there was a way to tell the difference. I have been having alot of nausea here lately too. Thanks for all the posts.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #13
(female)

cantwalk HB User

oh my goodness. i meant to mention that too. when i was having gall stone attacks, the chest pains first then incredible back pains.
hope that's not what you have but worth a mention again.
get better.

Closed Thread