It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
(male)

ddavis1406 HB User
mucous in throat

Well, it's a short lived mucous problem for me I think. I have what seems to be a thick layer of mucous at the back of my throat. This morning I actually vomited and for some reason it seemed to clear a little. I have been forcing Q-tips back there and scraping around it a bit, and it's slowly breaking up. I don't suggest you do this if you have a sensitive gag reflex.

I have been dosing my throat with extremely hot cocoa (which gives me REALLY bad heartburn). But it seems to be helping. I have been clearing my throat slowly but surely just by drinking plenty of hot fluid, and using a method of clearing my throat and it seems to break off little chunks of, what I call my mucous plate, at a time.

What I have been doing is placing my hands across the front of my neck and applying pressure, while holding tightly I then force air out of my throat barely opening my mouth, so as to create a smaller chamber thus more air pressure to force the mucous apart. It seems difficult and really looks funny to others when I do it, but it really does help.

I believe it is caused not only by dehydrating yourself, but also snoring. Last night my significant other says I was snoring loudly and she could barely sleep. This gives me a small clue about what is happening.

My body is protecting itself when it forms this plate of mucous, it dries out and feels funky in the back of my throat because of the constant air flowing by it. If it wasn't there, my throat would be super sore in the morning. So I can accept the discomfort of the mucous plate for a while until I drink enough scalding hot fluids to break it up and wash it down.

Not sure if any of my methodology makes any sense to you all, but I hope it helps in some way or another. Try to have a nice day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
(female)

acnemom HB User
Re: mucous in throat can't swallow it away! and thirsty all the time.

Need to keep this thread going-so many of us have the same symptoms w/no answers. I started feeling the mucous/something stuck in throat about 6 yrs ago, no heartburn-at worse i feel like i can't beathe, but I know i can cuz I have forced myself to work out & it was ok. Been on/off Nexium, Protonix, etc, doesn't seem to make a diff, lost 50lbs, no diff, anxiety/stress plays no role, no link to foods. The only thing I can link it to is being tired. Taking a nap/going to bed alleviates feeling, I feel my best always in the am! Anyone else experience this? ENT was vague, said it was a combination of acid reflux/mucous, said go off meds, told me to stop clearing my throat. Had endoscopy last wk, gastrinologist said esphogaghus looked good/hiatal hernia was minor, made comment -you do not have to have acid reflux just because you have a hiatal hernia, said to go off meds-I am off right now. I am very curious about the thryoid link, any more info on it?

Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: mucous in throat can't swallow it away! and thirsty all the time.

Mom,

It's ridiculous. Mine bothers me to no end. I wish I could stop this feeling of having something spiky and very irritating stuck in my throat. It's there 24/7. I keep swallowing and clearing my throat. This seems to make no difference. All I know is I'd never ever had any problems with my stomach, digestion, hernia or throat until I started taking all these meds. Now there's always something. I did some reading and became curious about the thyroid link/issues as well. It is on my list of questions to ask my internist next month. What other possible causes are there?

flowergirl

Closed Thread