It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

lourdes3250 HB User
What kinds of foods can you eat when food stays stuck in your throat/

What kinds of foods can you eat when food stays stuck in your throat/

Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
(female)

Janster HB User
Re: What kinds of foods can you eat when food stays stuck in your throat/

Why do you think you have food stuck in your throat?

Do you have a lump feeling in your throat?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

On occasions I get food that sticks. At this point I call my doc because I usually get to a point where I need an upper GI to stretch my esophagus. At his point I eat broths, or foods like creamy mac and cheese(moist foods) because dry foods tend to stick.

As the other poster asked, do you feel like a lump is in your throat or is there actually food that's sticking in one spot?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

I can't eat chicken it does not go down well, and I get that horrible pain in my chest on its way down, like its just stuck there! And I feel like freaking out
So no more chicken for me...

Old 12-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
(female)

LELE31 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet7 View Post
On occasions I get food that sticks. At this point I call my doc because I usually get to a point where I need an upper GI to stretch my esophagus. At his point I eat broths, or foods like creamy mac and cheese(moist foods) because dry foods tend to stick.

As the other poster asked, do you feel like a lump is in your throat or is there actually food that's sticking in one spot?
Hi aleet7 --I'm new with gerd diagnosis --re: the previous question from Lourdes --have you had acid reflux for a while? Is it normal for food to get the "stuck felling"? Does your heart pound/race during and after eating?
Having your esophagus strected is an option? I ask all this because I'm in such pain and I'm having a hard time too eating - I'm down to oatmeal, applesauce and yogurt --losing a lot of weight to fast. I went yesterday to have a PH Bravo test done, so I have the capsule in me now -- have to wear it a few days, the feeling is like I have a hook in my espohagus -weird., but the food sticking is an awful feeling and scarry too.

I hope everyone has a better day.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LELE31 View Post
Hi aleet7 --I'm new with gerd diagnosis --re: the previous question from Lourdes --have you had acid reflux for a while? Is it normal for food to get the "stuck felling"? Does your heart pound/race during and after eating?
Having your esophagus strected is an option? I ask all this because I'm in such pain and I'm having a hard time too eating - I'm down to oatmeal, applesauce and yogurt --losing a lot of weight to fast. I went yesterday to have a PH Bravo test done, so I have the capsule in me now -- have to wear it a few days, the feeling is like I have a hook in my espohagus -weird., but the food sticking is an awful feeling and scarry too.

I hope everyone has a better day.
I've had Gerds for a year now(since being diagnosed). It's not often that I get the feeling that food is stuck. It's usually during some really trying stressful time that it happens. My Gastro doc told me to try and manage stress so that he doesn't have to see me so often. I've had endoscopy twice to widen strictures(tightened spots in my esophagus) from the acid reflux. At those points food actually gets stuck. I went two days with a piece of a donut in my esophagus. I was very dehydrated and spent two days in the hospital on an IV.
This disorder can be scary but can be controlled to some extent with diet and PPI's (Proton Pump Inhibitors like Prilosec, Nexium......)
My heart doesn't race after or during eating although others may experience that.I do get a horrific burning straight down the middle of my chest and it goes to my throat and ears! Two days now I've been eating applesause, and lowfat yogurt to give my esophagus time to get better. I also hope that you feel better today.
I wish you well,
Aleet7

Old 12-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
(female)

LELE31 HB User

Thanks aleet7 for your reply -- not having a good day --I have that PH BRAVO test capsule in me until Saturday and it feels like a hook is pinching my esophagus, very weird feeling --i'm just in denial -- can't believe how this whole thing crept up on me and if ruining my normal life-now i'm afraid the capsule won't fall off. i''m so not feeling right.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Good luck with the capsule, Lele. I hope all goes well and that your esophagus heals and there's no discomfort after a couple of days.
We just finished eating a light dinner. I had a choking fit right after I got up from the table. I hate having this disorder. Perhaps the meds will take care of it eventually. That's my hope.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LELE31 View Post
Thanks aleet7 for your reply -- not having a good day --I have that PH BRAVO test capsule in me until Saturday and it feels like a hook is pinching my esophagus, very weird feeling --i'm just in denial -- can't believe how this whole thing crept up on me and if ruining my normal life-now i'm afraid the capsule won't fall off. i''m so not feeling right.
Hi Lele,
I'm sorry that you're not having a good day! I've never had the PH test before and I'm sorry that you have to go through that. I've been on very bland foods for the last couple days because the burning is returning inspite of the meds. It can be very trying to watch your family eat anything while I have to stick to fat- free boring foods just to feel normal!

I hope you feel better soon!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
(female)

Griffwood HB User

God bless you all! I am not sure what I have other than no appitite, lots of weight loss (20 pounds in less than 2 months), endoscopy that showed food in tummy even though I hadn't had solid food in two days and it should have been empty. Dx is gastroparesis, hiatal hernia and pre ulcer.

BUT, I am also experiencing the "is there something in my throat" sensation some of you are all talking about. Doc sent me to the ER last week to have pelvic sonogram done (upper right quad, where there's been pain for months and my gall bladder used to be) gave me an IV bag of fluids in exchange for the blood they took and a shot of something for pain that did little for pain but gave me a wicked sense of humor!

I turned 40 in September, have fibromyalgia (which exagerates pain and adds fatigue to all things) and now can take delight in being about to buy size 6 jeans! (hey, it's a silver lining!)

I'm not sure what is happening in my throat and am getting pretty scared about it. It's Christmas Eve and I haven't left the house in over a month for anything except doctors appointments and one Christmas party. The house was decorated by an "Elf" from a civic group I'm a member of (thank God) and there will be NO feast here tomorrow.

Thank you for giving me a moment for my pity party, now I can go back to keeping my chin up for my kids.
I think...

Christmas Blessings!
Tami

Old 12-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
(female)

Hi Tami!
I'm sorry you're not feeling well! I too call it a silver lining(just bought a dress that I'd normally wear and it's a size too big! My church family come up to me and tell me that they can tell when I'm having it bad because I drop weight quickly. My family don't even pay attention to the fact that I cook what they like and just eat apple sauce or yogurt just so that I can get away from the awful burn in my chest, ears and throat!

Most of us have a pity party here and then we try to encourage each other. It does get better with time. Right now the burn and lump are gone! I've had to totally eat like a small baby to get to this point. I'm also taking Zantac along with the Prevacid for extra help in alleviating the acid damage!

I had two endoscopies and both showed erosion and esophageal ulcers! I was given carafate and prevacid for this. Did your doc prescribe anything for you? And....did they tell you to stay away from trigger foods?

I sure hope that you begin to feel better.
))))Hugs((((
Aleet7

Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
(female)

kymmys30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasan2007 View Post
I can't eat chicken it does not go down well, and I get that horrible pain in my chest on its way down, like its just stuck there! And I feel like freaking out
So no more chicken for me...
Same thing happens to me!
Chicken is the worst - I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet though...
Chicken does it and dense bread like pound cake. Just gets stuck there...sometimes i can squeeze it back up and out or I have to take a drink of something to push it down and when I do that it hurts so bad, like it's scraping something - just goes down very rough and hard - leaves my throat sore for a few minutes....

Should I be seeing a doctor about this?

Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
(female)

juanasana HB User

yes see a doctor. You could be having esophageal spasms due to the esophagus being irritated by GERD and the lining reacts to certain foods - mostly dense foods like meat and bread. They don't necessarily get stuck - they may go down - but you're left with very very painful clamping down of the esophagus. I've had it and it is terrible. I had my esophagus stretch with edoscopy and it helped greatly. Scar tissue from constant GERD can also narrow the esophagus and cause the spasms and even cause food to get stuck. It can be serious and needs to be treated.

Closed Thread