It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 03:49 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
How did people deal with gerd and lpr before ppis where invented?

If ppis are the only thing that helps this how did people deal with this without them years ago? What did they diagnois all our symptoms years ago? How could people deal with all this suffering without something to take the edge off?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
(female)

CHALUPA HB User
Re: How did people deal with gerd and lpr before ppis where invented?

I wonder what there home remedies where???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

This is a good question and an interesting one that I've thought about a lot. I'd never even heard of GERD and seems many Dr's still haven't heard of LPR! Now, acid reflux is all you see, hear or read about. I know many people (including myself) that relied on OTC meds for what we thought was a little indesgtion, upset stomach, something we ate........No idea at the time knowing what was going on and what damage this could be doing to our bodies. I've come to the conclusion that all this GERD stuff has been brought on by our ever changing life styles and our diets, which also has changed over the years. There's too much stress, deadlines, traffic, errands to run, more women working, juggling home and jobs, not to mention the economic and govermental problems we face. My Dr. told me to stop watching the news so much! It is a mechanical problem with our bodies but I don't have a hernia and many don't. I don't think it was that long ago that they discovered that ulcers were caused by a bacteria and could be cured with PPI's. While many of us don't develope ulcers, we still have problems with our stomachs mainly because of nerves effecting the gut. The LPR is more complicated and most Dr's aren't certain what makes some develope further symptoms from GERD. I do agree with the poster that suggested allergies and GERD/LPR went hand in hand. I sure hope they can figure out what will get us WELL and not just treat the symptoms, which PPI's don't work for everyone on those. I hope they finally discover what is really wrong with you and something to do about it. I felt that way for a long time before PPI's but not nearly as bad anymore. My heart goes out to you to be dealing with these and trying to lead a normal life and be a good mother.

Charla

Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHALUPA View Post
I wonder what there home remedies where???
Well....I remember being told to mix baking soda and water and drink that. This is not good for people with high bp or who are told to stay away from sodium.

Apples are what helps my acid reflux! Fresh apples with the skin on can buffer acid reflux.

Soda crackers is another home remedy that helps with heartburn.

I hope this helps!
Aleet7

Old 12-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Red face Re: How did people deal with gerd and lpr before ppis where invented?

Liquid antacids, Pepcid. I remember taking a lot of Pepto Bismol when I was younger as I had heartburn almost daily at the time.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

mskubic HB User

I completely agree with Charberry its the times we live in. We are now a fast food nation with supersize this and that and the percent of obesity has risen quite high. People back in the day were not overweight. I just purchased some beautiful antique dining chairs from the 30's and my husband could not believe how small they were. Thats because people were smaller and not eating the fast food and junk food like they are now.

At least that is my opinion

Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
(female)

linda36 HB User

I've had it for about 20 years - before PPI's were widely used. I had an endoscopy and the doctor said my esophagus was ulcerated (I was having really bad chest pain at the time) because the valve that goes from my stomach to my esophagus wasn't working. He gave me some tagamet and sent me on my way. He did another endoscopy a year later and said nothing had changed but he just told me to take antacids because there weren't any other options. I am very grateful for PPI's - they have greatly decreased my flare-ups and allowed me to eat somewhat normally.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
(male)

Davesport HB User

I remember my grandmother drinking baking soda before bed, belching a lot, and then laying down on her wedge pillow. I thought the pillow was for her back, now I use one for my reflux. I also sometimes drink water with a little baking soda and a little lime juice (actually an alkilizing agent). I haven't tried it during a bad flare up to see if it helps, so I can't swear by it, but it makes sense. I have heard baking soda can be very agressive itself, so be careful - drink plenty of water.

I don't belch like she did, so I often wonder if she also added alkaseltzer - it was always in her bathroom.

Closed Thread