It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
Belching all day long

I have been belching all day long for about a month now. Its getting embarrising. What could cause this??? This happens even on an empty stomach.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: Belching all day long

You know, it's strange that as long as I've had this crap, I never belched that much. But, I started doing that a month or so ago and it drove me crazy. Then just went away. They say you are swallowing too much air when belching. You're not supposed to talk while eating or use a straw. Chewing gum helps me and there's even special gum for this.

Charla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
(female)

sandy222 HB User

hello, Ive been belching for 3 years now. Sometimes it causes a bit of pain in the chest area. Its called aerophagy..it never happens when im lying down so thats how I know its not serious. It is annoying so I may try charcoal tablets in the future. it started one day out of the blue when i vomited at work cos something didnt agree with me. Its never stopped since then.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thanks for sharing that.
I had my strangest belching episode while going out to eat on New Years' Eve. Each time I belched there was also a tugging/pulling sensation on the gut as well as choking. As a result, I had to stop in the parking lot and wait until it was over. Neither I nor my hubby knew knew what the heck was going on. It was so weird. It felt like I was refluxing with each individual belch.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I've got a question also - is belching ever considered normal like after eating a large meal or something. I'm guessing it's the extra acid in the stomach that is causing it if it's not due to another medical condition. I was belching alot until I got off pain medication that was irritating my stomach and started on PPI meds.

Last edited by taape; 01-09-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Burping is definitely normal after eating meals. It's not acid, it's gas. As things start churning, gas is created. Too much gas pressure and the gate will open.

However, I still think there are 2 different "burps". Essentially, I've NEVER burped in the classic sense. Never from gas; never had a "loud belch" that forced my mouth open (or could, if you don't control it).

My "burping" is all inside, unknown to the world, doesn't go beyond my throat, and since it's been out of control ever since I suddenly "got GERD", I suspect it is the sphincter failing and transiently blowing open (includes the upper sphincter at the throat, which also "trips" alot). Before I had this bad problem, I called these virtually unnoticeable (i.e., by public) "throat burps". I'd probably have a couple a day. Now it's virtually all the time.

Oh, and they DON'T make me feel better. I often feel worse. The more I "burp", the worse I get. Another reason I suspect it is the LES opening.

Closed Thread