It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
(male)

rdawg6198 HB User
Unhappy LP reflux and food impaction - anyone else?

Long story here.

Everything started for me in earnest back in mid-october, when I had several food impactions in the span of a few days. Went to the ER for it, where they sent me home. Say my PCP, who sent me to a GI. They did a scope, found a ring and dilated it, and gave me a possible diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis. They put me on prevacid and flovent (for the possible ee) I still had food impaction issues, so they dilated again, said it might not be ee and there is no reason I should be having issues (I have not eaten a solid meal in the 2+ months since this happened) They found a hiatal hernia on the second scoping.

About 2 weeks after the first scope, I started to feel like I had something stuck in my upper throat, breathing issues, lots of gas and belching, ear popping, post nasal drip, etc. The GI said he didn't know what would cause that, and my PCP said it was just post nasal drip. I went to an ENT, who scoped and said I had LP reflux and increased my PPI to twice daily. This has not helped. I went back to my GI last Friday and he said the ENT's overdiagnose LP reflux?! Still said there is no reason why I can't eat (I've lost about 50lbs, no improvment for the reflux) I went off the flovent since the GI now says its definetly not ee, which gave me a bad case of thrush anyway, and ordered a barium swallow and manometry test. The barium swallow is set for thursday, but the manometry won't be for almost a month. The doctor is giving me the "I think this might be all in your head" look.

We switched from prevacid to zegerid, even though my gi didn't want to prescribe it. At the moment, it isn't helping me anymore that the prevacid was.

Does anyone else who's had gerd/lprd or hiatal hernias have severe food impaction issues. At the same time, I really have problems breathing sometimes, from difficult to my entire throat closing for a few seconds at a time. I know this is an issue from LP reflux, but its the worst of the symptoms for me.

Anyone have experience getting through this? I was doing fine until about 2 months ago...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User
Re: LP reflux and food impaction - anyone else?

I hate when no one answers a poster even though I know we don't always have all the answers. I sure don't. I'm not sure what you mean by food impaction but I did (and still do at times) feel like food gets thrown up into my nose or like way in the back of my throat. I know this is not in my head because I'll start choking and coughing until some kind of matter comes out. I assume this is undigested food. Thick mucus crap. In the beginning years ago, I would feel like I was smothering or some strange feeling. I would cough but it just felt like something was stuck. I stayed in bed for months, lost 50 lbs, felt awful, went to every spec there was and diagnosed with everything under the sun, had test after test, took every med known to man. Finally found Dr. who said it was the LPR causing all my problems and I did get better but I must say that I continue to have symptoms after 10 yrs that are very frustrating and effect my quality of life greatly. I was an active 45 yr old when all this began. I'm at the point of searching for a surgeon but seems even that may not solve all your problems and once you get into discussions of all the not so good things, it's scary.

I hope this might help you some to know that a lot of us have different symptoms of the same disease and it is a disease. I never had any of the allergy/asthma symptoms until the GERD/LPR thing started. Lots of other problems and I'm beginning to think they are all truly related to my stomach.

Good luck and I would be interested in what your test results are.

Charla

Old 12-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
(male)

rdawg6198 HB User

I appreciate the reply.

I definetly have the classic LP reflux symptoms, the worst of which for me is the breathing problems when the contents of my stomach shoots up into my throat, but I didn't have any problems with that area until after my first dilation. My ENT says this makes perfect sense, as I had lower reflux before, and the ring was blocking it, which has created the lprd. My GI, who did the dilation, disagrees and says ENT's overdiagnose LP anyway??!!! But the start of all this was the ring at the bottom of my esophagus and my inability to eat food, which I still have after 2 dilations and my GI isn't sure why at this point, which is why we are doing motility tests. I might also have to have my ENT order the 24hr ph test to convince my GI that I have that lp, which I shouldn't have to do.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

I have impacted food issues! Mine starts with the lump sensation and then foods starts going down slower and slower until it's jammed in my esophagus! By the time it's stuck and not moving, I feel as if my airway may just close on me, my ears are hurting and I have no voice! That's when I go through ER only to get a script for prilosec!!!!!! I tell the ER Idiots that if I can't get water down then how can I get a pill down? Go figure!!!! Then I get on the schedule for the upper GI which finds that I have a stricture(ring) exactly where the food is stuck and my esophagus is dialated! It seems like a vicious circle but I'm finding ways to avoid this happening again by eating applesauce and lowfat yogurt only so that my esophagus heals and then I can go back to mostly lowfat foods or everything but trigger foods that cause acid buildup! It's such a scary feeling to feel like your airway is going to close up!
By the way, I never felt the burning sensation in my chest until after my first scope procedure!!!! It's like they dialated my esophagus so that the acid could come further up to my throat!
Anyhow, I hope that you get to the bottom of your problem soon!!!

Aleet7

Old 12-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
(male)

rdawg6198 HB User

That is very similar to what happened to me. I didn't have any breathing or lp symptoms until about two weeks after my first dilation. I have never been able to swallow pills unless I put major food down after it to force it down (my whole life). I have been living off ensure and such for the last couple of months. I am going to get a barium swallow done on Thursday. Hopefully we find out some more things. The worst part is the breathing issues that LP creates (for me). My priorities are:

1. Breathe
2. Swallow
3. Eat liquid foods
4. Eat solid foods

I can't move on to the fourth without fixing the other three first, though the doctors seem to disagree. Happy Holidays.!

Closed Thread