It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
(female)

tammygh1 HB User
does acid reflux make you have a hard time swallowing and hoarse?

does acid reflux make you have a hard time swallowing and hoarse?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
(female)

wen10 HB User
Re: does acid reflux make you have a hard time swallowing and hoarse?

Hi Tammy,
i have had a hoarse voice now for just over seven weeks so went to my dr last tuesday. My dr got me an urgent appointment at my local hospital for investigations. Today i had a camera put down my throat to check it out. The consultant says that i have acid reflux which has inflammed the voice box. I am on omeprazole, which i hope will help, also i have to go for speech therapy to learn how to control my voice better!!! Seek advice from your dr if it does'nt clear up. Takecare.
Best wishes
wenXXX.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

Janster HB User

Yes & Yes
I'm new to all this but have learned that acid reflux causes all sorts of different symptoms. It's different for each person.

You should aleast visit a doctor and get checked.

Amoung other symptoms, I could swallow - yet I couldn't swallow as much as I'm used to. Felt like the food took longer to travel down to my stomach. It was never painful.

I also had an endoscopy (camera down throat) and my throat (???) was only 10mm in diameter and they stretched it with a balloon to 15mm. I'm on meds for acid reflux.

Last edited by Janster; 12-24-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

mskubic HB User

Amoung other symptoms, I could swallow - yet I couldn't swallow as much as I'm used to. Felt like the food took longer to travel down to my stomach. It was never painful.

Janster that is my porblem though since starting the perscription for prilosec it has greatly improved...

I have never quoted anyone and I think I messed up but hopefully you can figure out I was trying to quote janster

Last edited by mskubic; 12-24-2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: need to add my post

Old 12-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Losing my voice for weeks and months at a time was one of my worst symptoms along with the feeling of not being able to swallow. I can swallow fine now (in fact need to lose some wt gained) but I have more LPR symptoms, which are harder to control. I was advised to take speech several times and tried once but the speech therapist said she couldn't help me until I could talk and that it was more of a medical problem at the time. I "still" get hoarse a lot but wonder since better if taking speech may help me control the throat clearing and cough? Let me know if you follow through on any of this and if it helps. I sound nasal all the time even on a really good day and know the constant coughing and throat clearing has got to be doing a number on my vocal cords. It's very hard on me professionally.

Charla

Closed Thread