It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
Vitamin B-12 and PPIs Do you take a Supplement along with your meds?

I was just reading a Vitamin B-12 deficiancy. How many out there take a B-12 supplement and if you do what brand do you use. If I choose to use one I would like one Made in the USA.... Also do you think the pill form would work just as well as shots?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Vitamin B-12 and PPIs Do you take a Supplement along with your meds?

If you are having trouble absorbing B12 in your stomach due to low acid, a B12 tablet is not going to help you because it will have the same problems when it hits your stomach.

You need to purchase sublingual B12. You put it under your tongue and it absorbs through the bloodstream and bypasses the stomach. Research shows that sublingual B12, 1000 mg, works as well as the shots. It comes in either liquid form or fast dissolving tablets.

You also need to look for the type of B12 that starts with the prefix "methyl" versus "cyclo". The "methyl" form is the one that absorbs the best, while the other form needs to be converted in the body and some people cannot convert.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Every time I have blood work it shows low B12 and anemic. I'm 55 so not losing any blood thru periods. My Dr. told me to take B12 since I'm low but I have read that PPI's will cause it. Someone else mentioned to me how much better they felt taking the B12 under the tongue. I need to check it out and get some because I forget and hate the thought of having to take another pill every day. I'm supposed to be taking iron now but seems that messes my stomach up. Who knows though with all the crap I have to take every day.

Charla

Old 01-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBerry View Post
Every time I have blood work it shows low B12 and anemic. I'm 55 so not losing any blood thru periods. My Dr. told me to take B12 since I'm low but I have read that PPI's will cause it. Someone else mentioned to me how much better they felt taking the B12 under the tongue. I need to check it out and get some because I forget and hate the thought of having to take another pill every day. I'm supposed to be taking iron now but seems that messes my stomach up. Who knows though with all the crap I have to take every day.

Charla
I also have to take iron. If you want to try to start gently, just go out and buy some Flintstone's Children's Vitamins with Iron (Chewable). You can safely take two of those per day and it will give you 36 mg of iron. It's not going to cure it quickly, but it did raise my levels up to an acceptable level.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Thanks! Just the name seems to make them easier to take.

Charla

Closed Thread