It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

TitanicRose HB User
Why does acid reflux attack cause your heart to pound?

Why does acid reflux attack cause your heart to pound?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: Why does acid reflux attack cause your heart to pound?

I'm not sure why that is -- and I know that it does not happen to everyone -- but I have read that severe acid can effect the 'Vagus Nerve' and this can cuase the heart pounding and pain. Try looking into that - it may give you some peace of mind - and best of luck to you - I wish you all the best.

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
(female)

TitanicRose HB User

Thanks so much Vanessa! I will check to see if I can find more on this. I just discovered a website that swears that Organic Apple Cider Vinegar taken with Honey cures acid reflux! I am going to try this and will report back. There are tons of letters of testimonials. At this point I am willing to try anything that safely works. Again, many thanks for your response. Have a Great Day! TitanicRose

Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I do think part of it is IF you have had so much acid that your esophagus is "wearing thin", if you will (maybe even if you don't have esophagitis yet), that the vagus nerve is more irritated as the esop is irritated.

OTOH, I think many of us experienced some heart palpitations BEFORE we even knew we had a real "stomach" problem. So I doubt it's all because the esop is worn down.

This may tie into my other view. The vagus nerve controls both the heart pumping AND digestive functions, including lower esophageal sphincter (LES) and stomach contractions and pyloric sphincter....and on down to intestinal motility.

When I took Reglan to try to step up my stomach motility and LES function, very quickly my heart went through the roof. It DEFINITELY was connected and I stopped the med right away. No great concern by doc's per se, but it was causing total lack of control for my heart.

So, perhaps all this means is that the whole vagus nerve is malfunctioning? If you're genuinely having LES problems, and you're getting heart palps (even sometimes), 1 has to wonder if that's the real issue.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Titanicrose lm goign to start the organic apple cider vinegar tommorow too!!Good luck (hope it tastes ok lol) wonder how long before we feel some benefit?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
(female)

TitanicRose HB User

Niecsey...Good Luck! I wish you all the best. It helped me in leaps and bounds. God Bless! TitanicRose

Old 01-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
(female)

TitanicRose HB User

Hi OL'Line Rebel...Thanks for your response to my question! Actually, I don't get heart palpatations from it, I take medication for that and have for 27 years. That was due to stress..why I was originally put on Inderal. My heart races/pounds when I would get the attacks. That is why I was wondering what would cause that. When the pain subsides, so does the pounding.

Before my husband had to stop working due to his legs and operations, which put him out of his job, I had insurance. He had to take an early retirement, and was able to get insurance thru the VA. I lost mine, as it was thru his when he worked. I currently do not have insurance, but paid out of pocket to see my prior doctor. He diagnosed me with acid reflux and put me on Prisolec, and then Zantac. Neither worked to good.
I am not sure if it's acid...that is my problem. With the vinegar helping I am wondering if it's that I don't have enuff acid, or even if it's alkaline. To make matters worse, my doctor left his practice not to long ago. to go to Ga to help his parents out. So, now it's back to square one. I am still seeking a program that will assist with the costs of any tests I may need, and looking for a doctor.
Just the same, thanks for your input! God Bless! TitanicRose

Old 01-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Just to let you know sorry about my earlier typos lol l gave up on the acv and now lm taking manuka honey might introduce the acv back after this week will let you know how it goes cheers xx

Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I'm sorry, I just assumed palpitations (PACs or PVCs). But yes, there is ALSO "pounding"/racing involved. I experienced all of that, even before I knew I had a GI problem. I don't get it much, but it happens. I typically had it happen when I would lie down and start sleeping.

It's just the pounding didn't bother me as much as the PACs.

But it's all related (or can be - doesn't mean something else isn't going on). As the ER doctor told me when I went there for severe problems from taking Reglan which works on the vagus nerve, et al, "it's a control problem" - i.e., the vagus nerve controlling how the heart works. I have no heart problem per se, just a control problem in my nervous system, undoubtedly due to this damn reflux/gastroparesis.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
(female)

TitanicRose HB User

Hello Ol'Line Rebel Thats quite alright, I am grateful for any opinions, or whatever is offered from anyone! I know the palps are annoying, actually they are both like the lesser of two evils,lol.
I appreciated what you had to say, and surely hope you too are feeling better. Of all the things I have had in life, this ar is right up on the top of my list! I am always open to learning new things and interested in what other people have to say. One thing I have learned in my old age, is we are NEVER to old to learn,lol! Well wishes to you, and God Bless! Rose

Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
I am not sure if it's acid...that is my problem. With the vinegar helping I am wondering if it's that I don't have enuff acid, or even if it's alkaline.
I thought I'd mention that when I questioned the pharmacist about the safety of long-term use of Nexium, I was told that taking it over a long period of time SHOULD be OK, as long as the right conditions in the stomach are maintained. She said this could be achieved with the use of Calcium citrate - which I'd been taking already anyway.
I hope you'll find a solution to your problem and that everything will work out for you!

Good luck,
flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-24-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #12
(male)

DKTemp HB User

Wow...I've had reflux for a long time, and it's been gradually getting worse. Over the last few months, I have developed palpatations, which mostly happen at night when I yawn or take a deep breath.

Of course I worried about my heart, I do have high blood pressure. My doctor has me on Metoprolol for it, which also regulates heartbeat and can be used to treat palpatations. She said it was probably because something interfered with the absorption of the metoprolol, and that was causing the palps.

But I never thought it could be the reflux, but it makes more sense. I've been on metoprolol for a couple of years, and the palps have just started recently. It would seem to conincide with the increase of gerd symptoms.

Anybody have any luck making the palps go away? I agree, they're not as bad as the reflux, but still...when you're having bad heartburn, plus palps, it scares the bejezus out of you...which makes the whole situation worse.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

WOW DKTemp,

It so interesting to hear what your Dr. said - I have been on Toprol for 4 years (HBP Med) and in October my body/breathing went WHACKY as did my B/P - I felt a lot of digestive problems and asked the Dr. if something in my stomach could be causing the Toprol 'not to work right' - he dismissed it almost LAUGHING at me.

I was thinking that if your stomach is not working right - how could a 'time release' medication sit in all that mess and release properly???

Thank you - I feel some sanity returning!!! I too am be treated for GERD - going to be trying Prevacid.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

i was having a bloated tummy for days. couldnt burp so i took veragel. then one night i came home and eat alot. i took glutinous rice, kiwi fruit, chocolate cake, milk and famotidine and went to sleep. when i was on m bed, i noticed i could hear my heart beat. i measured n it was 112. i freaked out. i told mysel it was ok....go to sleep... when i woke up e next morning, i bathe, prepared to go to work. i went to measure my heart rate again. it was 91. i measured again 100+ then 112. i was so scared, i called in to tell them i wont be going to work today. i went to see a doctor. he told me famotidine do not cause increase heart rate. he felt it was stress. anyway i m still worried.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #15
(male)

DKTemp HB User

Vanessa74,

Sounds like your doc is as bad as mine, ha ha.

Seriously, though, I don't think you're too crazy. I will say a few months ago, I took a zinc supplement, and while I was on it my palpatations would be crazy...I'd have them all times of day, many times a day. I quit taking the zinc, and it calmed down. My doc thinks that the absorption of the zinc somehow lessened the absorption of the metoprolol, and caused the palps. Now I'm not sure I 100% believe her, but needless to say, I don't take zinc anymore.

But if that could be true, then what you describe could also be true.

Anyway, glad to provide some help. Good luck to you as well.

Closed Thread