It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
(male)

kevkev100 HB User
hiatus hernis fed up! help please(operation) alernatives

hi

i have a hitaus hernia been diagnosed through scope, no inflamation or gastrics,

does everyone who has a HH have the surgery or do people just live with it if they dont opt for surgery do you have to be scoped regualr if so how often

has anyone tried any alternatives, such as herbs, complimentary stomach exercises etc

i dont get the acid comming up im on 30mg lanzaprozole but i get alot of belching wind is this a side effect

im jsut sick if it

any help advice would be great thanks
kev

Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: hiatus hernis fed up! help please(operation) alernatives

Hi Kevin,

Unless the hernia is causing serious problems, it is not usually treated. The symptoms, when they occur, include: chest or upper abdominal pain, coughing, belching, hiccups and heartburn. You are lucky if belching is your only symptom! There's more discomfort in people with both hiatal hernia and GERD. HH contributes to weakening of the sphincter muscle.
What you can do to help yourself: minimize heavy lifting, exercise and lose weight, use better posture (do not slouch!), sleep on an incline- raise your mattress a bit, and stand or walk after a meal instead of sitting down and resting. Also, avoid caffeine, chocolate, fried and fat foods, too much alcohol. Do not eat large meals, have more smaller ones instead. And, lastly, do not eat for at least two hours before bedtime. You can buy OTC antacids for acute attacks, such as Maalox, Gaviscon, Mylanta and Tums. Your doctor can give you a script for something stronger if needed.
A lot of people don't even know they have hiatal hernia. It is not such a big deal. Surgery is done only in extreme cases. I hope yours does not bother you too much!

Good luck,
flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
(female)

choclover HB User

Hi Kev
Sometimes I take centaurium (a herbal tincture) and sometimes aloe vera. They are both natural remedies but don't work for everyone, but there is no harm in giving them a go. Also losing weight if you are overweight and keeping your drinking of fluids separate from eating. I hope some of this helps.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

I like the title of this thread. I wondered similarly myself. I have a HH, gastritis, and GERD and have to take Protonix daily (have for years) or I would be a fire breathing dragon! I used to wake up and cry and need ice to suck on because my throat hurt so badly! I wanted to stop having to take medication daily as I think it has contributed to my anemia. (If you have less stomach acid, you would tend to absorb less nutrients/iron--no?) So, I wanted to consider surgery--drs. nowadays are unimpressed by these conditions. It wasn't even mentioned or brought up by either of my drs. including my gastroenterologist.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

I feel you pain, Kevin! I too have those symptoms but for me its heartburn and GERD and it was pretty bad. GI gave me 80mg of Nexium...but thats too much to take-I am not even 30 yet. However, what I do not understand is how loosing weight helps you. I know its less weight on your diaphram but here's the deal: My GI told me I was probably BORN with the hernia yet loosing weight is "what will help me the most". That doesn't make sense to me.

Closed Thread