It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Acid & Breathing Problems???? :( :( :(

I need some help - please.....

I am new to this board - recently diagnosed with Acid Reflux, possible GERD and Hiatal Hernia. I have read through many of your posts - and see often that many of you suffer from 'breathing problems' associated with your reflux. Can you please tell me what your breathing problems are like?

That is my #1 complaint - breathing difficulties that started in late October. It is difficult at times for me to get a deep breath down and then sometimes I felt like I had a band around my lower chest area.

Lately I have some new 'breathing issues' - they have moved to my upper chest - such severe tightness in my upper chest - it hurts so bad and hard to breath - I am so scared. Maybe this isn't acid - this all started when I went on the PPI (Prilosec OTC) - the upper chest tightness and pain.

Any help or comment would be so greatly appreciated..... HELP

Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
Re: Acid & Breathing Problems???? :( :( :(

Yes I do but Im not sure if its related. I have the urge to yawn and take deep breaths all day. Never seems like I get enough air. Sometimes I get wheezy not sure if allergy or acid related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you - and I am so sorry for you suffering

I do not cough - and I do not wheeze - I just get so tight, like all my chest muscles are contracting and I cannot breath in or out - it is terrifying. Sometimes it last for an hour - sometimes for DAYS - it is so horrible. The Dr. thought the PPI's would help and it seems all they did was bring the tightness from my lower chest into my upper chest.

Still have to yawn all the time and lots of times I do not feel like the air is getting all the way down..... I am scared.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

I know it can be very scary feeling like you cant breath right. I have had many breathing tests,chest xrays etc but they never found anything. So I just dont know what could be causing it with me. Sometimes I think anxiety and stress but it could very well be related to the LPR that I have. This problem brings many strange symptoms like things you would never guess as coming from you stomach. For an example coughing fits. Who would ever think that was from acid reflux. So I hope you feel better and get all the tests you can. First rule out anything more sinister. Have breathing tests and xrays make sure they really check your lungs out good. I hope you feel better take care!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you again!

I have had (2) pulmonary function tests and a chest x-ray - nothing showed up and I wish I could be happy about that - but I still can't breath good.

My Dr. put me on Flovent 2 puffs 2 per day and gave me a rescue inhaler just in case. And I have been on that regiment for over 1 1/2 years.....

He started to suspect the GERD/Hiatal Hernia when I kept complaining about the chest tightness....

It is all scary and confusing - thank you for your support!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Vanessa,

Sometimes our doctors cannot determine what the reason for shortness of breath is. I too had breathing difficulties. Very severe, actually. I know how scary not being able to breathe can be. Look to your medication first - they refuse to perform the pulmonary function tests on people who take beta blockers - did you know that?- Beta blockers are known to cause breathing problems. Even after the therapy is stopped, the drug stays in the system for a while. I still don't know for sure what caused mine. It could have been one of several conditions. Because I always felt stomach discomfort or even pain when experiencing breathing difficulties, (as well as chest discomfort, tightness and pain in the lungs) I tend to think my GERD, hernia or both were most likely responsible.
I hope you will find a way to cope. Do not exert yourself. You could always, with your doctor's permission, stop your PPI for a while and see if things get better for you, especially if your GERD symptoms prior to starting the therapy were not too bad. Strangely, the opposite is true in my case. After starting the PPI my breathing seemed to improve, while I started getting all of the symptoms of GERD and LPR though I'd never had any before.
I hope you feel better soon.
flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-07-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you all!

I am going Friday to discuss getting off the Beta Blocker completely for a while and also to stop the PPI for a bit and see if that makes a difference.

The odd thing is -- for the first time since these breathing problems started almost (3) months ago my rescue inhaler is actually helping (only this past week since the tightness moved from my lower to my upper chest)???? It never used to make a difference at all (I have had a rescue inhaper and regular asthma meds for 4 years). I had only had to use my rescue inhaler about 5 times in those 4 years before all this started in October - since October I have been using it frequently and only the past week has it been helping - but as soon as it wears off BAM - breathing problems again

Like you Flower Girl -- initially when I started my PPI my breathing improved significantly - BUT I was still off my Beta Blocker then... I have been back on the Blocker now for almost a month. But after 5 days on my PPI the upper middle chest tightness started and has grown worse.

I am also on an antibiotic right now (today is my last dose - my Dr. is trying to rule out sinus infection) - and I wonder if that is contributing to this at all because it REALLY upsets my stomach????

Do you know why they refuse to do pulomanry tests on someone on a Beta Blocker??? WOW - that is scary

Did any of you find asthma meds or rescue inhalers helped your breathing problems at all?

Last edited by Vanessa74; 01-08-2008 at 04:19 AM.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
(female)

shan06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
Thank you again!

I have had (2) pulmonary function tests and a chest x-ray - nothing showed up and I wish I could be happy about that - but I still can't breath good.

My Dr. put me on Flovent 2 puffs 2 per day and gave me a rescue inhaler just in case. And I have been on that regiment for over 1 1/2 years.....

He started to suspect the GERD/Hiatal Hernia when I kept complaining about the chest tightness....

It is all scary and confusing - thank you for your support!

Listen inhaled steroids makes gerd worst, if you dont have asthma get off of them. I was on advair for 3 weeks for bronchitis and i had alot of chest heaviness, the doctor took me off . she said that these steriods makes gerd worst and leads to breathing difficulties because of it...before I went on advair, the gerd was controlled with zegerid no problems..

Old 01-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
(female)

shan06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
I need some help - please.....

I am new to this board - recently diagnosed with Acid Reflux, possible GERD and Hiatal Hernia. I have read through many of your posts - and see often that many of you suffer from 'breathing problems' associated with your reflux. Can you please tell me what your breathing problems are like?

That is my #1 complaint - breathing difficulties that started in late October. It is difficult at times for me to get a deep breath down and then sometimes I felt like I had a band around my lower chest area.

Lately I have some new 'breathing issues' - they have moved to my upper chest - such severe tightness in my upper chest - it hurts so bad and hard to breath - I am so scared. Maybe this isn't acid - this all started when I went on the PPI (Prilosec OTC) - the upper chest tightness and pain.

Any help or comment would be so greatly appreciated..... HELP
Your medicine is not working for you, you need something stronger to control the effects of the GERD...

Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I am seeing my Dr. on Firday to discuss all of this.

I am really afraid to stop my asthma medications. I am scared I will have an attack or something - my breathing has been bad for the past 5 days and I am terrified it will get worse

Maybe a different GERD medicine will make the difference!

Thank you and best of luck in your struggle with GERD.

How many different meds did you try before finding the Zegrid?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
Do you know why they refuse to do pulomanry tests on someone on a Beta Blocker??? WOW - that is scary
When a person on a beta blocker experiences breathing problems, there's a good chance they arose from the beta blocker use. Most beta blockers, especially in very high doses (either selective or non-selective), or beta2 blockers-even is smaller doses-affect the airways and impair breathing, at least in some people. (I am on a cardioselective beta1 now which does not bother me).

When I showed up for my test I was told they would not be able to do it because I was on a heavy dose of a beta blocker. The referring physician forgot to update my meds. I had stopped taking the beta blocker six weeks previously. I had to explain this change in my meds (which was then verified) before they proceeded with the test.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thanks Flower Girl!

You have such GREAT insights and a TON of knowledge - what a pleasure you are!!

Not sure where to go next - I have tried an ACE inhibitor (horrid coughing and upper chest tightness - much like what I am experiencing on the PPI) - a CCB - horrid HORRID upper chest tightness, and a diuretic - no help - and of course the Toporol --- which STARTED all the chest tightness and breathing problems

I am scared -- my breathing is awful - now on day 6 and my acid is TERRIBLE because I had to stop the PPI again due to the side effects. I am so terrified.

I see my regular Doc. on Friday and my Pulmonary Doc. on 1/23 -- not sure what is happening to me

Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
(male)

midi77 HB User

I agree, Beta Blockers do cause breathing issues, which are probably from GERD in some people, Beta Blockers relax the LES, which causes reflux (eventhough a doctor may not exactly tell you this). Even after you are off them the problems can continue because your LES takes time to return to normal. For me, I woild rather have HPB than this garbage.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa,

Good luck with your appointment. Please let us know what your doctor's suggestions are. I hope you can restart your PPI soon so that you won't have to put up with the horrible symptoms of GERD on top of your SOB.

Thinking of you,
flowergirl

Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
(male)

noggin7717 HB User

Vanessa74,

How did your appt go? What did the doc say?

I've just recently started having the same exact breathing issues that you originally posted and was curious what the doc said. I've not changed any meds in the past 2-3 months, so I don't think it is anything that I started taking. I have been modifying my diet, so that could be it .. I guess.

Thanks!

-Noggin

Closed Thread