It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
PPI Odd Side Effects

Hello All!!

These boards have been a life saver for me lately.

Can anyone tell me some of the rather 'odd' side effects that you may have had that you attribute to the PPI you were taking

I developed upper chest tightness and breathing problems as well as severe tightness and cramping around my stomach and esophogus with an hour of eating?? At least I am assuming these are from the PPI because I never had ANY OF it before I had been on my PPI for 5+ days.

THANKS!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

cl84 HB User
Re: PPI Odd Side Effects

When I was taking Nexium I felt like I had the flu. After I stopped taking it the side effects disappeared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hello

How long were you on the Nexium? How long did it take to feel better?

Thanks

Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

I had similiar side effects with Prevacid (chest pain, tightness), I also had bad side effects from Aciphex (hair falling out, always thirsty and "thick" tongued). Zantac has been okay for me, at this point I only use it when it gets really bad...I am trying really hard to do things with diet and stress/anxiety control (not that I am doing too great of a job, but I really had a rough time with the meds).
Good Luck to you!
Crazy

Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
(male)

roxcyn HB User

Which PPI are you using? I think my favorites have been Aciphex and Prolosec.

roxcyn

Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I was on Prilosec OTC (thank you Crazylife - it helps to know someone else had my side effects). I have been given Prevacid to try but am afraid. I use Pepcid A/C but does not seem strong enough.

I have modified my diet 100% -- I really think what is causing my acid problem is the HBP medication that I take (Toprol).

Maybe I should try Zantac?

Thanks for your replies!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

I was on toprol whe this all started and they switched me to lotrel still no difference.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
(female)

cl84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
Hello

How long were you on the Nexium? How long did it take to feel better?

Thanks
I took Nexium for 6 weeks. It did nothing for my LPR so the dr. told me to stop.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you for the information.

I am so sorry Chalupa - you sound like you are still really suffering.... No relief for you yet???

I think being on Toprol for 4 years has caused this horrible acid problem that started for me suddenly in October -- not getting better.

I am not sure if the breathing problems are from the Toprol - the acid reflux, both - or if I have developed asthma. I am terrified every single day and not feeling any better.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

VANESSA74,
I no how you feel i can't breath right all day long. It is destroying my life and my family. Im also dizzy all day long like i am falling and my head hurts and banging inmy left ear alll day.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Chalupa,

I am so sorry for your suffering and I so wish your Drs. could find a cure? What are your breathing problems like? Have you ever gone to the ER thinking you were having an asthma attack? What did they do for you there?

My breathing problems (that my Dr. feels is from GERD and my pulmonologist feels is asthma??????) -- are tightness across my upper and lower chest, difficulty breathing, tightness across my back and upper chest that feels like someone is squeezing me, feeling like all of sudden I cannot breath. Sometimes I cough but never any wheezing (so far anyway) -- the tightness comes and goes but for the last 11 days it has been constant and is becoming unbearable.... I tried my rescue inhaler today - and it helped me cough up some stuff (yuck) -- but did NOT Help me breath any better??? I am so scared that by the time they figure out what is wrong it will be too late.

I HATE HATE HATE living like this. I am supposed to start taking Prevacid for the acid but I am scared because Prilosec OTC created new breathing issues for me????

Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

I have been to many lung docters and they said it is not asthma. I have it all day long now. It feels like i can't breath through my mouth. Like something is holding my chest and throat. The asthma meds do not work fo me because it isn't asthma. I never had any reflux in my life till i woke up and couldn't breath.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Have you ever had breathing episodes that landed you in the ER -- would being on O2 help?

Do your breathing tests come back normal?

Did ANY of the PPI's help at all????

I worry about you...

Old 01-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #14
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

all breating tests came back normal. yes i have gone to the er and they don't no what to do for me. Neither do i no the ppi's don't really work i am now on aciphex.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
(male)

noggin7717 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHALUPA View Post
I no how you feel i can't breath right all day long. It is destroying my life and my family. Im also dizzy all day long like i am falling and my head hurts and banging inmy left ear alll day.
I've been dizzy off and on for the past couple months. I've also recently started getting a ringing in my left ear and my head has been pounding by the end of the day, however, I can't coincide these symptoms to the meds. i.e, they didn't start right after I started on any one of these meds.

Meds: Nexium x2/day, Ziac, Carafate x4/day, Zantac150 1/day, wellbutrin 1/day.

-Noggin

Closed Thread