It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

KATCSR HB User
Tea versus coffee

Do you think tea is less acidic than coffee? I have been drinking my coffee in the morning again and I don't think I can handle it.. My throat clearing has started back up... I need my cup of caffeine in the morning so I was thinking maybe tea.. Any thoughts? TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
(female)

tigger2211 HB User
Re: Tea versus coffee

I have stopped drinking coffee, completely, for about 3 weeks now. I found that it made my GERD worse and it wasn't doing a thing for my nerves either. I have been drinking peppermint tea and ginger tea ever since. I never thought I'd see the day that "I'd" be a tea drinker, but I didn't have much of a choice, if I want my stomach to heal. There is a coffee by Folgers called "Simply Smooth". Its supposed to be "gentle on your stomach", (thats what it says on the package). I have never tried it, but it might be something to consider? If you are going to switch to tea for the caffeine, just check the acidity level and try to find something gentler on the tummy. Hope you find what works best for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

Sunny737 HB User

I was raised in South Texas on hot coffee and cold tea. I like my caffeine but have ******d tea several times now and tea is shining as having more health benefits and I have been drinking mainly tea, hot and cold now for many years. Now...when I have coffee, oh man is the taste not as pleasant and if it's made too stronly...yech! I can only suspect that my taste buds are sensing less acidity with the tea.

Have fun with this if you wish and ****** black tea, then green, red and white teas and see what all they are touted for, now, and a lot of the reasearch is just a few years old.

To me, a huge treat is a couple of the darkest chocolates I can find, and a large cup of tea with a bit of one-percent milk in it, mmm.....

Old 01-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

KATCSR HB User

How would I check the acidity level in tea?? And the peppermint tea doesn't bother your reflux?
Thanks!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

Jade0724 HB User

Tea is not acidic at all. If caffeine bothers you though you may still get some burning, but not half as bad!!! I also can handle organic coffee a lot better than regular brands...have no idea why?!?! I used to be HOOKED on coffee...drank several large cups a day so if I can stop anyone can! haha I still have one cup usually on the weekends though when I can just relax and symptoms are at a minimum.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
(female)

KATCSR HB User

Organic coffee? Hate to sound like a dope, but would I find that at a grocery store or a health food store? Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
(female)

tigger2211 HB User

LOL, I was told by somebody once that some teas can be acidy. Maybe they were sucking on lemons or something, lol. I haven't come across any that have caused me any problems. The peppermint tea is used to soothe the digestive tract and limit indigestion. And it also helps alleviate the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). I normally throw in a small candy cane and let it fully dissolve to add the the flavor.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
(female)

KATCSR HB User

That sounds pretty yummy!---I like the candy cane idea

Old 01-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
(female)

tigger2211 HB User

It is really good and very soothing. If you don't have a million candy canes left over from christmas, like I do, just use those red and white mint candies. I give peppermint tea to my kids too (age 12 and 10), when they have upset tummies or colds.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

I just switched to Kava coffee. Its 90% acid free...

Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #11
(female)

Jade0724 HB User

You probably have to get organic coffee at a whole foods store...aka natural organic food store. However, a ton of chain super markets are now starting to sell more and more organic products so you can try your local grocery store first. I live on the east coast and we have whole foods stores. That is where I get mine.

And, I have never heard of tea being acidic. Maybe if its like a citrus flavor. I could see that and I would definitely stay away from those.

Where do you get Kava coffee? Does it taste bad??

Old 01-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #12
(female)

KATCSR HB User

I have never bought the Kava coffee but I have seen it at my grocery store... I was wondering the same thing myself---about the taste.. I also think it's instant...

Old 01-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #13
(female)

CHALUPA HB User

Kava coffee i drink it everyday. I putr a small amount with hoy water it isn't that bad i got used to it. It is better then nothing,

Old 01-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Do you guys think that (1) cup of coffee a day is harmful? I have given up soda, candy, chocolate, cookies, etc. -- but I still have one cup of DELICIOUS coffee each morning. I JUST LOVE IT......

Old 01-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #15
(female)

KATCSR HB User

Well, I am new to all this stuff but I think my one cup of joe has to go.. I think I need to heal for a while first and then try it again..
I say it it's not giving you symptoms then go for it..
You lucky duck!!! I love coffee

Closed Thread