It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
(female)

luvmybabies2 HB User
Question Acid Reflux Symptoms - Mimicking heart attack?

I went to the doctor, I felt like I was having a heart attack, squeezing pressure on the left side of my chest, and also sharp/piercing pains in my heart (the pains only lasted for a few seconds though) and the sharp piercing pains were also in my wrists, legs, arms and neck/head. They only last a few seconds, but they are all very sharp pains, mainly in my heart though.
They said that I have acid reflux?
Does this makes sense to any of you, I don't think I have acid reflux.
Any info would be great.

Last edited by luvmybabies2; 01-22-2008 at 06:01 AM.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Acid Reflux Symptoms - Mimicking heart attack?

If you really are in doudt & this continues have some testing done to confirm or rule out the reflux. When I was told I had it I did not really think so, at that point did not really have heartburn or to many symptoms. I will tell you not only did I but the paramedics thought I was having a heart attack when I had to be transported one day. I had such pain, could not breathe & that pain went up the neck, down the arm & into the chest, my vitals were crazy & so forth but all cardiac work ups came back ok. The acid showed in a heart cath , & a scope, but it took me along time to find out I had other problems in the neck & shoulder along with the reflux. The acid was not as bad as one would have thought to cause all this discomfort. I was sent to ER more then once in the past couple years. I believe when the pain & the acid gets out of control my vitals go bonkers.
There are several things that can mimic symptoms of cardiac, but I sure would want some testing to rule it out & testing to find out what the problem really is. It is to stressful to sit & wonder. So if it continues let your doc. know you would like some diagnostic testing done to confirm the problem. Good luck, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi, I agree with Sammy, but be sure and ask your Doctor about Esophageal spasms, they can make you think you are having a heart attack, and the pain can radiate all over.

Sunny

The Following User Says Thank You to 1sunny1 For This Useful Post:
ettabet (10-06-2012)
Old 01-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi l too get the pressure just to the left of my chest like ive been poked with a blunt heavy object it lasts seconds but is very unplesant l also get sternum area pain like sharp cramps.. does anyone know what this is please? And the last few days stomach probs seem worse lm getting stabbing cramp in my ribs on the left hand side... lots of trapped wind too l hate this just started manuka honey hope it helps x

Last edited by niecsey; 01-20-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Could also be a hiatal hernia. You should get yourself to a gastro doc and he can run some tests. I agree, acid reflux does give you terrible chest pain. Hope you're feeling better... Linda

Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Do guys get pressure on just one side of chest?? Do you ever get pressure in the front and back - like squeezing making it hard to breath? Does anything HELP relieve this feeling for you?

Thank you,

Nessa

Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Vanessa mine is mainly centre chest just off to the left a little sort of the area where your breast line starts. I do get lots of back muscle symptoms and l have had the squeezing feeling too that was up either side of my ribs to the back. Its so frustrating.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Niecsey,

Thank you

That is how mine is in the upper center of my chest - squeezing and tightness making it difficult to breath.

So far I have not found anything that helps relieve it. Hope we ALL do soon

Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lve just started taking manuka honey to see if it helps started it Saturday. Wjat have you tried? x

Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I've tried:

Magnesium supplements, Prilosec OTC, Pepcid A/C, Max Strength Mylanta, Rolaids, TUMS - and COMPLETING overhauling my diet to VERY HEALTHY.

So far no improvement. Please let me know if the honey works - I sure hope so.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you ahve a lot of stress or are you naturally a born worrier?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

I am a BORN worrier and fearful person - no joke!!! I had learned to cope pretty well but the last two years I have had more than NORMAL amount of stress. My father passed after a battle with cancer, I am in a bad marriage, my house burned down, and I was hit by a truck while walking down the street.

So, its been a pretty bad couple of years - I think the stress just turned my body into a MESS

Old 01-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
(female)

luvmybabies2 HB User

I went to the ER and they said it was anxiety/panic attack, they put me on xanax and now the pains are all gone.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Geez, Vanessa, I hope this is a better year for you!

Sorry for all your problems. No wonder you have some anxiety.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you'll get your breathing back soon.

flowergirl

Old 01-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

Anxiety and stress will kill you. Number one reason of problems with the gut is anxiety and stress. More and more people are going to the ER rooms with spells they think are related to their hearts. GERD can make you feel like you are having a heart attack. One the other hand, I worry too many Dr's are handing out PPI's and telling people they have GERD. I would have some test done to rule out other problems to be on the safe side.

Charla

Closed Thread