It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
(male)

9168TP HB User
Nexium Vs. Protonix?

I came down with LPR about 2 months ago. My ENT first put me on 40mg protonix 2xday. Since it didn't give 100% relief my GI switched me to 40mg nexium 1xday. He said nexium is much stronger than protonix and will give better relief. Nexium has given no relief so I'm back on the protonix.
Do weaker PPIs work better for some people?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
(male)

DKTemp HB User
Re: Nexium Vs. Protonix?

I tried Protonix fairly early on, and it did nothing for me. The only ones I found which helped me were Aciphex and Nexium (which I am now taking).

But if there's one thing I've learned so far, is everybody is different, so what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

With me Protonix worked for awhile, so they switched me to Nexium and that stopped helping, then Prevaced, aciphex and so now I'm back on Nexium again, some drugs stop working after awhile but after a time can work again so that's what I have to do. My body doesn't work well with drugs anyway so we keep switching things around!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB UserCharBerry HB User

I got the GERD part under control with Prevacid in the beginning, which was 10 yrs ago. The LPR part is what I can't get rid off or control for that matter. I was told Nexium is the strongest but PPI's are supposed to do about the same thing. I used to get switched around all the time too and was put on Nexium and Protonix last time I got real sick. It worked but have no idea why. I have had symptoms of LPR every day for last 10 yrs but trying alternatives and having pretty good luck so far with this juice I've been drinking.

Charla

Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

stina3246 HB User

I started on Prevacid which helped some but my insurance was giving me a hard time about it. My doctor switched me to Protonix and for me it was a miracle. it worked almost the same day to get rid of that lump in the throat feeling! I've had no side effects from it either.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
(male)

jwh1 HB User

Hi stina3246,
With that lump in throat you probably have LPR also. How much Protonix are you taking? I'm taking 40mg twice a day - 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before dinner.

With the samples my allergist gave me I could take 3 tablets a day for the next month. With my reflux still bothering me at times is it safe to take one more dose?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
(female)

stina3246 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1;3***495
Hi stina3246,
With that lump in throat you probably have LPR also. How much Protonix are you taking? I'm taking 40mg twice a day - 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before dinner.

With the samples my allergist gave me I could take 3 tablets a day for the next month. With my reflux still bothering me at times is it safe to take one more dose?
right now I just have the samples from my doctor. They are 40mg and I only take them 1x a day before bed. you're right about the LRP. It's more likely that then the reflux although I've had thyroid issues which can cause acid reflux so who knows. I just know that I took the Protonix for the first time one night (kinda late...about 9pm ish)
and the next day I woke up without the lump feeling and have not had it back since. I was also having a bit of trouble swallowing, actually feeling like things were getting stuck and very slow going down but I just went for an Endoscopy and it was completely clear. About 3 days after I started the Protonix even that went away.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
(female)

sherski3 HB User
Exclamation Re: Nexium Vs. Protonix?

I've been on Nexium for years. Works great, as before Nexium I was on Prilosec and that didn't really work. Well, now our insurance changed and they switched my Nexium prescription (we do prescrips thru mail) to Protonix. I've been on it for 5 days and each day gets worse with the acid reflux/heartburn. Being Memorial weekend, hard to get doc, I called my local pharmacist, told him what was going on and told him I came across a nexium capsule that I had in my traveling bag and that the protonix was not working. He told me I could take the nexium. When Tues. comes, i am calling my doc and telling him to write BRAND ONLY for Nexium on my next prescription I mail in.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

You mean the Doc can write the words "Brand Only" and that could mean to the insurance company any of the PPi drugs? I know they won't pay for my Nex or it's brand name here so I have to pay it myself and it's the only one that has worked in 4 yrs of rolling the dice! Ya know insurance companies know more than the Drs or pharmacists don't you? They are such a joke!

Closed Thread